Hunger vs Acid

sunflower74
on 3/27/15 1:22 am - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with

I remember being told when I had the VSG that we wouldn't feel the physical hunger sensation any longer and anything that did feel like hunger was an acid issue.  Does anyone know if this is still true? It had been a few years since my surgery in 2009 and I am not sure if any new research has come out.  Taking antacids never really helped me so it has me wondering....not an acid problem or not the right acid blocker???  Any thoughts?

Lionetta
on 5/1/15 3:00 am - AZ

I just saw this, and I did find this to be true for ME. I thought I was hungry all the time, but I really wasn't. Sometimes I felt that uncomfortable "sensation" within an hour of eating, or less. And I'd nibble on something thinking it was hunger. Bad news for ME because I ended up gaining weight. After reading the forums here and seeing others had similar issues, I realized that hunger feeling was probably caused by acid, so I started back on Prilosec. It took about a week to feel any different, but then gosh ...I no longer had that hunger feeling! I'm one who learned the hard way, but grateful I did! It's been 2 months and I still don't feel hungry. 20 pounds down! Yay!

Good luck to you!

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

Diana_13
on 9/7/15 5:58 am
with

I just saw this! I'm four weeks out from RNY and feel hungry after eating. I'm on omneprozol for acid reflux, though. Could acid still be the cause of the hunger pangs?

RidingFan
on 8/31/15 6:57 pm - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

I am having similar feelings, and a 10 pound weight gain in the last 6 months....scary!  Took Prevacid first six months after surgery only.  Then had issues with possible ulcers about 2 years out and started on antacid , had a scope and all cleared it up.  Think I will go back to those to see if it helps with the constant hunger/unsettled feeling (almost nausea) that hits me 3 or 4 times daily.  No pain but uncomfortable. 

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Most Active