Questions about 6 month diet and weightloss

harmerel194
on 3/9/12 3:32 am
 I started my 6 month dr. observed diet on 2/7/12. I just had a few questions about weightloss during this time. I really have been trying very hard to loose some weight during this time. My surgeon would like me to lose 20lbs before my surgery. I have only lost 8lbs in the last 2 months. I was wondering if any of you had this problem? Can I be denied if i do not lose the weight that my surgeon reccommended?  I was also wondering about how long it takes for approval after you have finished this proccess? Has anyone been denied after doing this? If so, why? Just trying to make sure that I'm doing everythat that I'm supposed to do so that I am not denied by my insurance.
fit2lose
on 3/10/12 8:50 am - MN
VSG on 05/07/12
what insurance wants and what your surgan wants are not dependant on each other.  Your surgan is looking out for your best interests with the surgery and how things can go complication wise.  Insurance is looking at ways to try and weed out those who are not committed to the changes needed.

For example, with my insurance as long as I could check off the boxes that I met with my primary Dr 6 times over a 6 month window, meet the BMI requirements, met with a shrink, met with a diatician then they are happy.  My surgan's office wanted me to start making the changes I need now, looked to see if they could predict any complication based on blood work, helped me start dealing with head hunger... and so on.

While your surgan may not want to do the surgery until you have met their requirements, it does not mean that insurance will deny you.  In my case the surgan's office just will not submit to insurance for approval until they feel I am ready.  Lucky for me they submit to insurance on Monday
harmerel194
on 3/10/12 10:25 am
 Thank you! That was really helpful. :) I'm hoping that I'll be able to meet his request of losing 20lbs within the 6 month period! 
Most Active