Help about 6 month supervised diet

Brittany H.
on 3/23/14 11:00 am

(cross posting in hope of getting response)

Long time lurker on here and now finally on track for surgery! Had my first consult on February 27th with Dr Kolasch at Southeast bariatrics in Charlotte. I found out my insurance (Empire BCBC) DOES require the six month supervised diet. Initially this was extremely frustrating for me as i know it has been for others. I have only been in Charlotte for the last 7 months so my new PCP I don't have much history with, but she understands and knows about my pursuit of WLS. Whats confusing about it is that i am seeing a PCP for the monthly check ins ( they call it med management?) and am SO WORRIED that I'm not going to follow the requirements or miss something and get denied in 5 months when my bariatric office submits my paperwork to insurance Anyone else have to do a 6 month supervised diet and if so what exactly did you discuss or have recorded by your PCP at each appointment??? this last month that i went in they weighed me, took my BP, Doc came in for maybe 4 minutes, palpated my abdomen, listened to my heart, told me i had lost 3 pounds-good for me because my BP also came down and sent me on my way. As i left the room i was sure to ask "you'll record everything at my visits for my insurance right?" and she says yes of course. I'm afraid that I'm going to miss something or not have enough information. My insurance is already super vague about what exactly should be included in a 6 month supervised diet.  Every time i have called, they just refer me to documentation online. Any suggestions or personal experience with the 6 month supervised visits welcomed!  So far what i have completed on my WLS journey:
  • Exercise Evaluation: Check
  • Nutritional Evaluation: Check
  • Psyche Eval: Scheduled
  • Support meetings:Scheduled
  • EGD: Scheduled
  • Sleep Study: Scheduled
  • 6 Month Supervised diet: on-going 1 month down, 5 to go.

5'3" HW:295  CW:283  GW:145

Thinknthin
on 3/29/14 12:59 pm

I brought in my ins requirements and listed them for the doctor. Made sure that I got the letter clearing and recommending me for wls. I went to a dietician once a month and we went over diet and excersize log,  but I could have just had the doctor put it down in the notes along with a copy of my diet (wrote everything down with dAiley calorie intake) and excersize candy made sure they also kept a copy in the records. My ins required 5 years of weight from a doc office, just gave the ins vitals one visit a year and it worked. 

Thinknthin
on 3/29/14 1:00 pm

Best of luck to you on your wls journey

Most Active