Insurance HELP!

meironhabte
on 2/14/16 9:10 am

So I've recently been looking into getting gastric bypass surgery. My first concern is insurance. Calling around to the major insurance companies I keep getting shot down with, "Oh no ma'am. we don't cover ANY type of bariatric surgeries." I was wondering if anyone knew of any companies that would, under certain policies, cover gastric bypass surgery 100%? 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 2/24/16 10:30 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I looked at my Florida BCBS policy and it has an exclusion for bariatric surgery. I went to an information session last night at a surgeon who I am researching, and his group provides details about which insurance companies they can work with, and what is required to submit for approval.

Maybe start there... find a surgeon, then find out what insurance companies they have had luck with. You wont find anything 100%, typically you have a dollar amount you have to reach before they cover stuff, such as $2500, then they cover 80%.

Look in to it some. 

dbjohnson1963
on 5/28/17 5:49 am

My Viva Medicare Advantage Plan ( ALABAMA) covered my complete gastric bypass just like most Medicare will but you have to go thru 6 months of testing losing some weight and nutrition classes to prove you will be compliant and successful! Out of cost pocket was only 240$!( co- pay)! ??

Most Active