ZOLOFT and the Fiery BURN

Mimi G.
on 12/12/07 1:04 am - Burbank, CA
Hi Friends, I am doing a survery to collect information to show my doctor, and possibly to take to the manufacturer of Zoloft, about post-band patients experiencing an unusually intense 'heartburn' type feeling after taking their daily dose of Zoloft (also known as Sertraline). I came across a post on here a few months ago where many people replied with their experiences (but of course I can't find it now with no way to search thru posts in this forum). I have also noticed that everytime someone posts a thread on "fiery burning after taking meds" it almost ALWAYS turns out that Zoloft is one of the meds in their pillbox. So I would like to hear from EVERYONE who takes Zoloft (and wants to share in the interest of science) about their personal experience POST BAND. Feel free to PM/email me if you prefer not to share with the world. My personal experience, so far...has been no problem, BUT I have not had my first fill yet, and I believe this burning sensation doesn't happen until after the first fill. thanks for all your input

Kim Lopez
on 12/12/07 2:37 am - Bay Shore, NY

Hi

I was banded in APril, but starting taking Zoloft about 2 months ago.  No problems with burning yet!  I hope it doesnt ever happen because every other anti-depressant I have taken and am extremely sensitive to and cannot deal with them.  Zoloft so far is a miracle for me!

Kim

Born Swimmer
on 12/12/07 7:00 am - Sunny, FL
to be honest, I get burning from taking most meds.  I got obstructed on a birth control pill once (thought I could take it whole since it is considered 'ok' size wise).  I think that pills in general give band patients trouble unless they are crushed or in liquid form.    Even then, crushed gives me trouble sometimes.  I was on Neurontin for a while... and that was HORRIBLE!!!

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

sanscarpaci
on 12/12/07 11:40 am - souderton, PA
DS on 11/23/12
No issues here as long as I cut it in half.  Prior to that I would slime and dry heave 50% of the time after taking the little green pill! Susan

228/123/120
preop/current/goal

Revision surgery from lapband to DS on 23-Nov-2012

Mimi G.
on 12/12/07 2:35 pm - Burbank, CA
do you mind if i ask your dosage?

sanscarpaci
on 12/13/07 2:35 am - souderton, PA
DS on 11/23/12
25mg 1x a day. Susan

228/123/120
preop/current/goal

Revision surgery from lapband to DS on 23-Nov-2012

SandyR
on 12/12/07 3:13 pm - Portland, OR
Momm, As with all meds, Zoloft needs to be cut into small pieces, taken with a tsp of yogurt or aspplesauce, then  washed completely thru the pouch with  a full glass of  fluid.  It can't burn tissues if it is not against the tissues.  A number of  Bandsters I know use Zoloft, and most use the liquid and have had no trouble at all.  I'd urge anyone with burning to try this. Also, if there is burning , there may be a chronic gastritis going on that should be investigated. Besure the  fill is not too tight, one is avoidingthe known gastric irritants, etc. It will be Interesting to see what you learn in this thread. Good for you, for investigating this. Sandy R

DISCLAIMER:  Any suggestions or comments are not intended as medical advice, but only as general information. Please always contact your own surgeon or his staff for any specific problems or concerns you are having. Although I have many years as a medical professional and band educator,  I offer suggestions here only  as an experienced Bandster. 
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/07 12:07 am - Richmond, VA
I was on Zoloft for about 2 years.  Once I took it in a hurry and just with a sip of water.  It was awful!!!!  It hurt like crazy for a few hours.  I am not banded yet.....
lisainrichfield
on 12/2/21 10:37 am - Richfield, MN

I realize I am late to the party, but came online searching for similar experience and found this post. I am not banded...had RNY in 2006. Had been taking sertraline for years and continued to do so until it started to cause me pain in 2014/2015! I discontinued it due to concerns it could cause problems to my pouch (stomach). I successfully transitioned to duloxetine, but 6 years later I think my depression has not been as well controlled as it was on sertraline and want to go back to it if I can confirm it's safe to do so, despite the pain/burn.

honestly, I don't recall exactly what the pain was like, and I would think I tried taking it with food before switching. I want to say it was tolerable but for the concern, but who knows. It was so long ago.

has anyone gotten reliable info about its potential effect? What does the burning indicate is happening? TYIA!

Good luck and GOOD HEALTH!!  Lisa in Richfield, MN
Surgery Date: 10/09/06           
245/241/181/
Shell_B
on 12/13/07 12:20 am - Somewhere, VA
Well this is interesting. I posted last night - OMG woke up burning and sliming, please help - and I did happen to take this med with my full glass of water right before laying down. Now here's another possible explanation for that awful reflux. I am going to request a prescription for the liquid form next time I go to the doctor and from now on I'm going to split the pill up into several pieces and take them earlier in the evening, just in case this was the problem. I'd be interested to hear what your doc says about this.
Most Active