HCG Shots??

Sonja W.
on 3/7/08 4:06 am - Surprise, AZ
Several ladies at my office receive HCG (Human Growth Hormone) shots to lose weight. They say it is the "pregnancy hormone" and helps the body release the "resistent fat" from their bodies.  They get these from a holistic doctor, not an MD.  One of them has lost 50 pounds since November.  She says she's lost her double chin and her belly fat.  It's pretty expensive ($450 for the shots as needed plus monthly check ups) and not covered by our group insurance (BC/BS).  She says this doctor has helped her with other health issues as well (thyroid, high blood pressure).  Has anyone ever heard of this??
Sonja 
Starting:  283      Current:  225      Goal:  150

Bette B.
on 3/7/08 4:12 am
All I've heard about HGH is that Congress is investigating Roger Clemens and MLB players for taking it. To me, it's like Botox: you couldn't PAY me to put that crap in my body. ESPECIALLY by someone who ISN'T a doctor!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/08 5:15 am - AZ
On March 7, 2008 at 12:12 PM Pacific Time, Bette B. wrote:
All I've heard about HGH is that Congress is investigating Roger Clemens and MLB players for taking it. To me, it's like Botox: you couldn't PAY me to put that crap in my body. ESPECIALLY by someone who ISN'T a doctor!
Hear hear! HGH should not be given to anyone who already produces their own.  If someone isn't producing enough due to pituitary issues or such, I totally get it and agree.  But for those who do not need it and they are taking it, it is no different from any other weight loss gimmick on the market. I agree about having a REAL doctor prescribe meds such as this.  It's just dangerous and besides, when the injections end so does the weight loss.
jcolson1027
on 9/23/10 8:19 am
On March 7, 2008 at 12:12 PM Pacific Time, Bette B. wrote:
First of all, it is Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, not Human Growth Hormone. HCG Injections or shots are what baseball players use when they mess up their endocrine system. It actually balances things again. This is in part because it mimics 'Leutenizing Hormone', and gets the testes producing testosterone again. To tell you the truth, hCG is not NORMALLY created within the body, except durring pregnancy, and because of this, it cant stunt your bodies natural production, as your body doesnt normally have any in the system. HCG is what pregnancy tests test for. It is pretty much harmless. The question is whether or not it actually works for weight loss.

Also, a holistic doctor IS a doctor; most likely an ND (naturapath) or DO (doctor of Osteopathy). In almost every case a holistic doctor will know much more about natural healing than a regular doctor, and will be much less likely to prescribe something that is unatural, like most drugs that are marketed to them. I actually wrote a paper in college about this. Pretty scary what MD's will do sometimes. Happens all the time nowdays. Thats why ALL MD's have insurance. That way if they accidentally kill you, their okay. So, no sweat, go ahead and prescribe all kinds of junk, right.

I actually would go to a natural healing doctor any day of the week. Last time my wife went to the emergency room their service was horible. She is pregnant, had severe stomach pains, and we didnt see a doctor for over 3 hours; just the nurse. This was in the middle of the night in a big hospital.

Just my rant! Hope you liked it.

Carol K.
on 3/7/08 4:17 am - AZ
I looked it up oline and this is what I found...aside from all of those who are touting its benefits!  http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cathcg.htm.. Be sure to read further down the page where it gives Characteristics.   Sure doesn't sound like something I wold put into my body!  IMHO!!
Carol K.

VALENTINE'S DAY CHALLENGE            

CW
on 3/7/08 4:22 am - Western, CO
I agree with Bette.  I had a holistic dr once tell me to stop my coumidin, I get blood clots but he thought I could go without.  He could have killed me!  So from now on I just listen to my MD's and leave the massage and chiropractic stuff to them.   What happens when they stop the shots, will they gain it all back?  Kind of sounds like a scam to me. Chrissy

Lilypie - (D7uA)
mini goal, pre pregnancy weight!

jcolson1027
on 6/17/13 5:07 pm

Coumidin is killing you anyway.

Sonja W.
on 3/7/08 4:26 am - Surprise, AZ
Thanks ladies!!  I'm not interested in this for myself, as I am still very happy with how my band has helped me.  I just thought it an odd thing to do??  Personally, at my age (approaching menopausal age shortly) I don't need anymore hormones mucking up my system!!   Thanks again for the insight.  I think I'll let these girls know what I found and suggest that they check everything out thoroughly.
Sonja 
Starting:  283      Current:  225      Goal:  150

jenfar123
on 3/7/08 1:07 pm
I used it for 6 weeks. It is supposed to be used along side a low calorie, protein diet. I was told to use it for six weeks, stop for 6 weeks, and then resume for six weeks etc, until the desired weight was achieved.  It was used heavily in the 70's with much success from many people.   I looked into the history, most of which I have forgotten, but there is no real harm it it, it appears, though it is not approved in the united states for "weight loss" and in fact the package insert required by the FDA  has a statement about that.   REgardless, it can be recieved by prescription.  It is different than HGH or human growth hormone. It is HCG or human corionic gonadotropin- sorry not sure of the correct spelling. I believe I paid around $300.00 for the first prescription, though the following would not have been as much.  I didn't follow through with the next round.  I did find the diet easy to follow, without cravings, and giving myself the injections was no big deal, very small needle- you could hardly feel it.  If you want more information about it, you can go to www.naturalcures.com that is where I got started on it, in a round about way. Obviously, It didn't do much for me as I had my lap band in October, but I was confident at the time it would- I just didn't follow up.  Almost anything works if you believe in it....... and follow the plan. Jen
Iam_with_the_Band
on 1/25/13 4:34 pm

It is not HGH.  It is HCG!

Two totally different things.  I have patients who have taken it for weight loss.  they have all gained their weight back, plus more.  You are living on a 500 calorie diet and giving yourself this hormone daily.  It's not safe.  I had one patient who became very depressed with it and suicidal. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active