Acid reflux

beachlady29k
on 5/9/10 10:52 am - PA
Iam approaching my year bandiversary and everything has been going great until about three weeks ago.  I am experiencing horrible acid reflux; at times it even wakes me up at night.  I was wondering if any one else has had this same experience...smooth sailing than all of a sudden acid reflux (and I haven't really changed my diet or eating habits).  I have my year check up in a couple of weeks...so I will be sure to ask hen.

Thanks for listening.

Kathie

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/10 11:05 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
Acid reflux is a sign of a too tight band, some new bandsters CAN get away with a too tight band for awhile a few months some can get away with a too tight band for 1-2 years....until the reflux starts....if the reflux just started you may want to start by removing the smallest increment of saline like .1cc  if your symptoms are not severe...you did not mention HOW BAD the reflux is....if you are auto vomiting at night in your sleep and it is waking you up...then you need to see your surgeon immediately for a unfill and possibly an Upper Gi to check the position of your band.
Kate -True Brit
on 5/9/10 5:56 pm - UK

It can be a sign that the band has tightened for some reason. I have never had a very tight band but about 6 months ago (almost 4 years postt-op) I suddenly started getting very mild night time heartburn and reflux.

I knew it could be the sign of being over-tight (although i had no other signs like PBs etc) and i also kn ew it coudl cause other problems. SO I went for a barium swallow whcih showed nothing wrong but that my band was a bit tight. So I got a tiny unfill.

Problem solved and sitill have restricition.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

discogal
on 5/9/10 11:12 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Too tight most likely cause. Get a bit out.
..*.. BEEEEEEEEEE HEALTHY..*..
Lisa O.
on 5/10/10 3:12 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I'm not so sure you should wait two weeks.  Go to see your surgeon.  They will want to know about this prior to your 1 year so they can order additional tests if needed.  Reflux is not something to be taken lightly when you have a gastric band.

In the mean time, OTC Prilosec will help with the current symptoms.

Keep us posted!

Best~

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

shelliwi
on 5/10/10 5:49 am - Sheldon, WI
Acid Reflux has been my only problem with the band. I had never had it before and I hate it. Mine started about 1 month after my last fill in November. I went to the doctor and had .3cc's taken out. Problem solved! However, about 1 month later the problem returned. Another unfill of .3cc's taken out. Problem solved for about 3 weeks then the reflux returned. Another unfill of .5cc's. This time, I didn't get any relief. Each of these unfills were done under fluro with a barium swallow. The doctor said my band was in good position. The reflux got so bad that I was up almost every night choking on acid, vomiting it up (violently because of all the coughing) and sleeping upright in a chair. I was tired and cranky. All the throwing up at night irritated my band making it really hard to get solid protein in. I was relying on soft foods. My doctor already had me on Prilosec (which doesn't seem to help me at all) I called him up again an insisted he see me again. He told me to take Malox at night before bed. What a gift from God! No more reflux! However, it gave me the diarrhea. I couldn't win. The doctor gave me a fourth unfill of .3cc's on Wednesday of last week. So far so good! No reflux. Time will tell. He said my band is still in good position. I still have restriction so that is good.
Good luck to you. I know first hand how miserable reflux can be.
Shelli

High-245 /Lapband-229/Sleeve-175/Current-173/Goal-150   band 7-14-09 revision to sleeve 9-20-11  Shelli from WI                 

beachlady29k
on 5/11/10 11:30 am - PA
Sheli,

Thanks for the reply...how did the doctor determine your band was in good posiiton??  jst curious...I have an appointment on Monday.

Thanks for caring!

Kathie

shelliwi
on 5/11/10 11:49 am - Sheldon, WI

He did fluroscope with a barium swallow. We could see my band really well on the screen. So far so good. No acid reflux and no more Malox at night. I seem to be able to eat more and this scares me a bit. Good luck with your appointment.

Shelli

High-245 /Lapband-229/Sleeve-175/Current-173/Goal-150   band 7-14-09 revision to sleeve 9-20-11  Shelli from WI                 

LastOptionAttorney
on 5/11/10 12:10 am
I had 1/4th  cc added and it caused a world of problems. I was doing the same thing waking up at night vomiting and coughing and sleeping upright it was terrible. I started to vomit up black stuff and went to my Doc I had a upper GI done and the band was ok position wise but it showed I am fully obstructed in the morning, which I already knew I saw my Doc and she said took 1/2 of the 1/4th of a cc out which helped some and she gave me and Rx for prevecid which did the trick for the most part. It still too tight though but my dilemma was between 11;30 and 3;30 my band is fully open. I can eat a whole sandwich, bag of chips, and juice if I want to. I stop myself but that kind of freedom is scary to me but its acting up again so I am going to ask her to put me where I was before that last fill. If you Doc knew the problems they would tell you tro come in right away so I would call them and let them know I doubt they would want you to wait that long.

Most Active