HELP!!

joeysdad
on 1/11/11 10:33 pm - san pedro, CA
My name is tim and i have a surgery date coming up on 1/26/11. i just spoke to my surgeon yesterday and he advised me that he would like me to go on a 1000 calorie a day diet untill my surgery. he told me i can do it any way i want but if i knew how to do this i probably wouldnt be in my position. i was thinking to try protein shakes to replace meals. but i really dont know how to do this. i would appreiate some help!!! i am willing to try anything

Tiff tells all
on 1/11/11 10:37 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
well, what would be your preference. Actual food or shakes?

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

joeysdad
on 1/11/11 10:40 pm - san pedro, CA
actually i would prefer to eat but i am open to try anything that works for other people.
JoMixx
on 1/11/11 10:52 pm - West Yarmouth, MA
My doctor put me on a "liquid" diet for two weeks prior to surgery.  I thought it was torture but now I am glad I did it.  My day consisted of 3 chobani yogurts, 3 carnation instant breakfasts or protien drinks, 3 sugar free fudgesicles and all the broth and clear liquids (sugar free) I wanted.  
Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
svfos
on 1/11/11 10:54 pm - Garland, TX
I choose to drink 3 Advantage Edge shakes a day and then very watery mashed potatoes.

Tiff tells all
on 1/11/11 11:03 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
thats a pretty loaded debate here on the boards.

There are a few things that should be able to help you out.
http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/   this is a site that will help you to calculate and track your calories each day. It will also take into consideration if you are working out and burning any of those calories. There is a similar application here on OH but I find the other more user friendly. It's just a preference thing.

I'd start with just eating a normal day and see where your caloric intake falls and you'll have a good starting place of where to trim and replace foods.  ex:  BBQ Bacon Cheese Burger 950 calories at BK can be substituted for a lean 3 oz bison burger 207 cal with turkey bacon 35 cal with 3 tbsp of gorgonzola 100 cal on a low carb/cal wheat bun 80 cal.  

There are ways....  Please don't take this the wrong way, but can you cook? before you get offended, I ask both men and women this question. My own sister can burn water- she literally forgot and scorched the pan.

Tiff

steelerfan1
on 1/11/11 11:04 pm
Hi there Joey,

Okay 1000 day calorie diet you will just need to eat how a bandster will eat :o)  Once you get your band in you will be eating about 800-1000 calories anyways .

So, if it was me and this is just me only I would get my measuring cups and start eating like you have the band in and you will hit your calorie intake.

1/2 cup of protein
1/4 cup of veggies
1/4 cup of carbs

Count everything  if you make you mashed tator count the butter, the sour cream and so forth.

I usually hit around 850-1000 a day sometimes because I'm doing Zumba now I will even up my calories to 1400 a day you burn alot doing that exercise.

Log everything so you know what your calories are .  I use sparkpeople.com  If you find out that you are below your calories for the day drink a protein shake or get something to eat that is light .

When you get banded  you will need at least 60-80 grams of protein a day
carbs I stay around 30-50 a day Im allowed to go up to 65 per day
and fats I stay below 50 a day

Because you are not banded yet those small meals probably wont fill you up so eat a snack between meals . Cheese , yogurt, beef jerky is great for protein, .

This is how I would do it, but that is just me :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Tiff tells all
on 1/11/11 11:11 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
this is pretty fantastic advice. Add in Chinese BBQ Pork, edamame and some small curd cottage cheese and you have my daily life. Still full of regular tasty filling foods. it leaves me both mentally and physically satisfied.  I love my band!

Tiff

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/11 11:34 pm
Gosh, if it was me and I could do it any way I would like; I would focus on lots of lean protein and lots of fiberous veggies to help keep you full longer. Shakes don't have much staying power.
joeysdad
on 1/12/11 10:40 am - san pedro, CA
Thanks for all of your help i started the day with a protein shake and the same for lunch. for dinner i am having chicken and some veges 1 day down and it was not so bad!!!
Most Active