Proein and Hair question and snack question??

schuffine
on 1/13/11 1:41 am
First question- My hair is in terrible shape. I am pretty sure it is a protein issue. How do you get 70 grams of protein in a day if you are supposed to eat small meals?

Second question, I got a small fill Tuesday, I am at 5cc. I am still thinking I have not reached my "sweet spot". I can eat quite a bit at a time. What do you all snack on in between meals and when you are at your correct "spot" how much are you eating. I am stuch at -60lbs and I have at least 60 left.

Thanks
Sunny
-60lbs!!!
Surgery March 1, 2010

Nic M
on 1/13/11 1:46 am
Do you add protein to anything? I used to use unjury unflavored. I'd add it to Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk and drink it in the morning.

Also, Biotin might be something that would benefit you. It makes my hair grow like a weed.  I take about 5000 mcg a day. I think you can even crush them, if you can't swallow pills.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Kate -True Brit
on 1/13/11 2:12 am - UK

Question 2:-

Without difficulty! Example:-

B - Very large skinny latte about 16gm
mid morning - 15 almonds 10gm +
Lunch 1/2 jacket pot and cheese 15 gm
turkey and assorted veg  -  25gm
yoghourt - 8

and i often have another latte!

And snacks - 15 almonds,  crackers with 2oz hard cheese, yoghourt , fruit

I eat about 3/4 to 1 cup of food at a meal, as long as I start with dense protein.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Nic M
on 1/13/11 2:16 am
Yours sounds much better than what I suggested! Notice I didn't even think of foodstuffs... I couldn't eat anything while banded so it didn't even occur to me! Geez Louise.

I could probably Google, but what's a "jacket pot?" It sounds interesting.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Kate -True Brit
on 1/13/11 2:19 pm - UK

Ah!! Jacket potato! Might you call it a baked potato? Cooked in its skin, in the oven!!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

steelerfan1
on 1/13/11 2:29 am
HI there ,

I try to do at least 20 grams of protein per meal.

For example so far today I have had

One egg that is 6 grams right there
two pieces of turkey sausage that is 15 I believe
and my piece of bread that has two grams

so there is 23 grams just in breakfast

Lunch I had today

a hamburger patty with cheese that is about 30 grams right there with the cheese
1/4 cup of cottage cheese that is about 5

35 grams for lunch

so just between them two meals I have 58 grams

Tonight for dinner Im having chicken cordon blu

chicken runs about 26 grams of protein, some ham and cheese also I dont know how much that will be I will have to wait and see how much I get of it .

Just in my three meals right there is 84 grams

I eat a cup per meal 1/2 cup of protein that is already cut up on how Im suppose to eat it, 1/4 cup of veggies and 1/4 cup of carbs or veggies my choice

Like you I can always eat more also but just cause I can dont mean you should :o) .  I can walk away from any of them meals I just listed and be statisfied. Not a full feeling, not a hungry feeling but my tummy is statisfied,.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

schuffine
on 1/13/11 2:26 am
I know everyone is different, but how manny CC's are somewhat the "usual". I feel hungry in between meal, even after my fill.
Jeepers385
on 1/13/11 3:09 am - Hightstown, NJ
1st Question - One of the first things my nutritionist had me do is start a regiment of vitamins even before I had the surgery and that has helped me with my hair and nails.

I take 2 - 1000 mcg of sublingual Biotin
1 - B-12 mcg of sublingual dots
1 - Flintstones Multi-vitamin
2 Chewable Benefiber - breakfast & lunch

2nd Question - I'm one that has to eat every 2 to 2.5 hrs so my portions are small but for a snack I'll have either a low fat cheese stick, 12-15 natural almonds, yogurt.

Also are you exercising even if it's walking everything helps.

mary101678
on 1/13/11 5:38 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
It's a good idea to keep a food diary. Once I started doing that I could see just what I was eating and how many grams of everything. I have similar foods to the others. I also added a new bread that has 7 grams of protein per slice. It's great to have that with an egg in the morning.

I thought eggs had 14 grams each, so that would make 21 grams of protein for breakfast.

Lunch is always 3 oz of some kind of meat or fish, usually chicken, tuna or salmon as well as egg salad with 2 eggs. My snacks are all protein snacks. Usually yogurt or cottage cheese in between meals.

Dinner is always 3 oz of meat and some veggies. I learned to cut back on potatoes, pasta, etc. So I usually have a "free" veggie like green beans, asparagus, spagetti squash, etc....

Yesterday I counted 67 grams of protein, bc I was told to eat at least 60 grams per day.

Also, I take about the same amount of vitamins as the others mentioned as well, but from their posts, I may up my biotin. I am taking it, but not sure I have enough.....

Best of luck.

Mary

aliciahegeman
on 1/13/11 9:55 am - Highland, NY
are you waiting 45-60 min after a meal before drinking? i snack on beef jerky....greek yogurt...i drink 70-80 oz of water a day so i dont pay much attention to sodium unless i need to..

Most Active