Healthy Choices in a Mexican Restaurant?

tracycoder
on 1/13/11 10:33 pm
I'm going to dinner at a Mexican restaurant tomorrow and I was wondering if any other Mexican food lovers out there could point me in the right direction as far as healthy food choices?

And, yes, I am aware that I'll have to pass on the queso sauce

Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/11 10:35 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
 Probably your best bet is taco salad, hold the sour cream, and skip the chips/crispy bowl.  Sometimes I order fajitas and skip the tortilla, but sometimes they seem a bit greasy.

Tami
bubblesrn
on 1/13/11 10:35 pm
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
I get a grilled chicken salad...
fresh warm marinated grilled chicken with a bed of romaine... some of the ones near me have fresh spinach... even better.
I find that if it's really good moist mariated chicken, I don't even need the dressing.  I usually ask for the dressing on the side.

or...

tilapia... most Mexican restaurants have some sort of grilled fish now... with some salsa verde or mango salsa on top... YUM.

Hope that helps!

Have fun!
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

steelerfan1
on 1/13/11 10:40 pm
oh yum !!!!!!!!!!! Mexican food I love it !!!!  

This is what I do ,  the place we go to eat they give you such huge amounts I mean huge so I dont order me a plate I just eat off hubby's and son's plate :o)

I always eat the refried beans great protein right there and hubby always gets steak fajita tacos or whatever them things are called lol.

There is so much steak, green peppers, onions from that I eat that and then there is plenty leftover for him to make three or four tacos from that :o)

And I love Mexican Rice so I always get a teaspoon of that or two :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Tiff tells all
on 1/13/11 10:43 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
I usually go for the carne asada (protein) or the Pork Carnitas (protein)  with only black beans- no cheese, no rice.  The restaurant that we go to, the carnitas are marinated for a few days before being baked to perfection. They are delish!!!

Definitely avoid any burrito/enchilada/quesadilla/taquito/relleno... you get the idea. Cheesy filled, deep fried goodness is always a bad choice but god it so good. Wonder why I was 300 lbs?  I ate Mexican like this at least 4 times a week. I could clear the MACHO burrito in about 10 minutes. It was about the size of a vw beetle, unfortunately so was my ass!

http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/aa050207a.htm

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

coachgrrl
on 1/13/11 11:04 pm
 I like a naked burrito or burrito bowl.  which is a burrito without the tortilla.

I get some kind of meat, beans, cheese and some pico de gallo

:drool

PaintingChef
on 1/13/11 11:50 pm - TN
Mmmm.... Mexican food is my VERY favorite.  One of the things that my NUT suggested for eating Mexican food if that's what you love is to get fajitas and just eat the meat and veggies.  She said take the leftovers home and use them on a salad or in a lettuce wrap.  She also said to be careful of the beans though, because while refried beans are a great source of protein, they are usually made with LOTS of fat.  Black beans are a great option if they are available.

Good luck!  Enjoy a bite for me... I do love Mexican food!!
My blog:  PaintingChef

kathkeb
on 1/13/11 11:53 pm
I like Chicken Tortillia Soup --- I sip a bit of the broth, but mostly I eat the veggies and chicken solids.

The chicken is very soft and the broth helps it not get stuck.

Have fun
Kath

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/14/11 12:11 am - Mexico
I'm not a fan of cutting out fat in our diets. Dietary fat didn't get us fat, white carbs did. We actually need fat to burn fat.

Just skip the tortillas, eat what you wish without the tortillas and chips.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Hermosa L
on 1/14/11 2:35 am
I usually order a meat too like carnitas .. and beans .. no added stuff like rice or cheese etc
or fajitas.. you can ask for them to be made with little or no oil and what happens the veggies are crispy!! Yum! I ask for a side of lime and hot salsa and I love it. Then the left over meat and veggies I throw in some egg whites the next day :) 
Most Active