Rejected for health insurance because I have a lap band

jennhales
on 3/25/11 5:26 am - lehi, UT
I am baffled by this.  I just applied for health insurance from Humana.  And they won't cover me because I have a lap band.
Now what.  How do I get health insurance.
Jen
crystal M.
on 3/25/11 5:39 am - Joliet, IL
Hello

I heard that no health insurance will not cover anyone after having any WLS for two years.  Now that's for personal health insurance not group insurance (like through work). 

I don't know much about this but I seem to remember that each state has a pool of insurance companies you can choose from for the uninsurable.  Sorry I'm not much help.  
jennhales
on 3/25/11 5:42 am - lehi, UT
Thank your for responding.
Odd becasue I weigh a lot less than I did when I had health insurance.
Thanks,
Jen
LittleMissSunshine
on 3/25/11 6:04 am
If I had to guess, it's probably because of the statistics around folks needing additional surgeries to repair, replace or remove bands... they don't want to be on the hook for paying for any complications (which seem to increase the longer you have the band).

Was this through work or personal?  If you have a choice, I'd look at plans other than Humana... they've got a pretty bad rep for screwing people over from what I understand (have you ever seen the documentary, Sicko?).

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

jennhales
on 3/25/11 6:10 am - lehi, UT
This is for personal, my husbands work doesn't offer health inusrance.   Maybe I need to look into getting a part time job just for health insurance.
Jen
la_professora
on 3/25/11 11:13 am - TX
Adjustable Gastric Band on 03/17/11
I thought insurance companies couldn't deny you because of a pre-existing condition. This is rather frightening.

I will conquer this mountain, one rock at a time.

HealthierNow
on 4/24/13 2:29 am - NC

I just registered with this site because people need to know what happened with me...  We are self-employed business owners, without any non-family employees, so we had an non-group family insurance plan - our only choice.  About 8 years ago, I went through the process of getting ready to have the surgery.  My insurance required a 6- month weight loss program with a nutritionist before surgery could be considered.  I completed my program, having lost just about 12 pounds, and had over 100 pounds to be lost to be considered no longer obese.  I submitted (through my prospective surgeon's office) piles of records from my primary doctor, showing years of different weight loss programs, and the required health issues making me a possible candidate for the surgery, and the required level of general health required to make me a possible candidate for the surgery, etc.  After going through all of that preparation, the insurance company turned me down.  THAT is not the worst of it though - WE - not just me - but my family - were cancelled from our insurance plan.  There were no other issues or even treatments for the rest of my family beyond normal doctor's visits, so it had to be me.  They were not even required to give a reason for cancellation.  I got another family policy (without me) but I could not get insurance anywhere. 

After 7 years, I was insured through the states' high risk program, and went through the entire process again.  My insurance approved my procedure and required a Bariatric Center of Excellence, which I found fairly close to me.  I am 118 pounds lighter and feel wonderful a year after surgery.  It is a complete change in lifestyle - a very good one and worth it if you can qualify.  I think it is illegal for them to cancel you just for asking now (under Obamacare) - but that is what happened to me.  I went to my congress woman's office 4 times before I finally got to talk to someone about what happened.  No one could believe that happened but I had all the paperwork showing it did.  I am so grateful for my health and insurance.  I will not forget what happened though the first time around.

Advice - Do it if you can!!!

Jessica4Bama
on 3/25/11 5:44 am
jennhales
on 3/25/11 6:07 am - lehi, UT
Yes I was self pay.  And I am not comfortable being dishonest during a application for health insurance.  Health insurance play GOD in most cases.  I can just imagine them down the road saying, "We won't cover your breast cancer becasue you didn't tell us you had a lap band."  LOL
tphillipslaw
on 3/25/11 6:25 am
RNY on 01/12/09 with
That is soooo true. 
Most Active