Your Trader Joe Favorites?

NJDizzybee
on 4/2/11 1:50 am - Riverside Township, NJ
Good Morning Everyone!  I've decided that since I will be able to start solid food on Wednesday, that I'm going to Trader Joe's on Monday.  There is one in my area, and the drive to get there is horrible!  Very busy, congested, construction-ridden stretch of highway.  It's also one of the main roads to get to the Jersey Shore, so I won't even consider making the drive once the weather gets nice. 

So what are your favorites from Trader Joes?  Keep in mind, I hate refried beans, so anything with that taste, i won't bother with! LOL  I did a search on here for Trader Joe's, but it seemed like most of the posts were from RNY's or DS's.  I wanted to know what the Bandsters enjoy.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  Have a sweet weekend!

Diana

Kate -True Brit
on 4/2/11 3:50 am - UK

Diana, I don't know who or what Trader Joe is!  But just to say that for me eating with the band is just eating! I don't do anything "special", my food is the same as everyone else's! Well I don't fry things and I choose the healthy foods but only the same way non-obese people do routinely!

I enjoy all foods! Just as I did pre-op. But now a little satisfies me. If you ate with me, you wouldn't know I had surgery - you might think that I had a very small appetite but that's all! So for me, asking what bandsters enjoy hasn't got any meaning!

Just try things with caution until you know which, if any, foods you find hard!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/11 4:13 am
I love everything at Trader Joes...

Most recently, a friend turned me onto Trader Joes Saucy Scallops.   They're in the freezer section.  They're excellent!

I havent tried much else in the frozen food asile, but I did pick up some bbq chicken teriyaki and some chicken gorgonzola, both suggestions from a friend.  

I mostly go to TJ for their selection of cheeses and their wine.   I like their Spicy Soy and Flax Seed tortilla chips. and most of their cereals/granola.

They have a little bit of everything, so just peruse the store and I'm sure you'll find many things that will suit your tastes!
NJDizzybee
on 4/2/11 4:48 am - Riverside Township, NJ
@Kate:  Trader Joe's is a grocery store here in the States that strives to provide quality foods, using non-genetically modified ingredients.  They are also a great source of foods for those with Celiac Disease (my sister has it).  From their website:

• *The finest quality, natural ingredients. This means:
  • NO artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
  • NO genetically modified ingredients
  • NO MSG
  • NO added Trans Fats     
  •  
  • Now I cant get rid of these bullets! LOL
  •  
  • It's a small store that is sort of fun to shop in.  They just have different things than you would find in the regular grocery stores.  And their prices are pretty good.  So it's worth the aggravation of the drive and the gas I'll use getting there.                                               
Kate -True Brit
on 4/2/11 5:51 am - UK

Sounds really good! Sort of shop I love! I don't think we have a similar chain but most towns have a couple of independent shops of that kind.

One thing I have noticed is that these days I buy small quantities of quality foods rather than larger quantities of cheaper ones!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

PaintingChef
on 4/2/11 6:10 am - TN
I absolutely LOVE their Green Plant Juice (don't look... just drink! Trust me!!)  And their turkey meatballs have a constant home in my freezer, I stock up whenever I can.

Good luck!!
My blog:  PaintingChef

FunnyFlamingo2010
on 4/3/11 1:40 am
I LOVE their frozen salmon patties!

A staple in my freezer!

Steph

Lapand surgery 1-6-2010
1st fill 2-16-2010   3.5cc for a total of 5.5 cc
2nd fill scheduled 3-24-2010   NO FILL!!  
3rd fill scheduled 5-11-10  NO FILL =-)
July 1st fill   
August 26 fill   6.8 cc's
November 17 fill   7.2cc's

- 138 lbs GONE!!! 

I am soooo lovin' my band!
It keeps me honest  =-)

Stephanie M.
on 4/3/11 4:31 am
I TJ's!!  

Marinara Sauce...we stock up (family of 8) The tomato basil marinara is often on special for 1.79 for 24 oz jar...

Turkey Bolognese sauce in the frozen section.  It is great for the soft food stage on a slice of pre-made polenta with some melted mozz.

Chicken tenders, in the freezer.  They are breaded (very lightly) read the label, they are very low carb and low fat, high protein.  One or two heated up with some marinara and mozz and you have chicken parmesan!

Frozen Mahi Mahi marinated in olive oil, garlic, and spices...yummy and one package is enough for three meals...you can grill or just saute in non-stick pan...cook up some quinoa and veggies and you have an excellent meal.

Sesame crackers, they are small (about and inch and a half) and crispy, great with a piece of cheese for an afternoon snack.

97% ff ground beef patties...I keep these on hand for those off times when I cannot eat what everyone else is having...cook one up with some cheese on top and eat for my protein...4 oz before cooking, about 3oz after cooking.

What I would suggest is to make a grocery list of what you need in general and then shop at TJ's for those items....They do open early (8am here) so if you can go then, it isn't so busy.  If you have a smart phone...use your gps feature to see if there is one closer to you, they are opening up all the time!

Good luck!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

kpolus
on 4/3/11 6:19 am
The roast beef hash is AWESOME - not very high in fat and calories either!  I also have been addicted to the Soyaki Marinade/Sauce - marinate chicken or fish or anything! Delcious!  I am jealous my closest one is 4hours away!
NJDizzybee
on 4/7/11 11:08 am - Riverside Township, NJ
Thanks everyone!  I made it out there on Tuesday and picked up a few things.  The turkey meatballs are great, as well as the roasted chicken patties.  I have a few more things to try, but it looks like I'll be making that drive more often!
Most Active