A not so funny thing happened to me on the way to the green zone

BluestCat
on 4/3/11 4:03 am
On Friday, I had a slight unfill and the doctor discovered that my port is no long attached to my abdominal wall and I now have a free floating port attached to my band. The doctor discovered that it has traveled about two inches to the south in one week! We are going to talk about surgery to reattach it when I see him again on the 13th of April.

Has anyone else experienced this so soon after surgery? I was banded 12/01/2010. My follow up surgeon is not the surgeon who banded me. My operating surgeon left the program for a different hospital in Syracuse, NY.

Thanks, Kim
karianne
on 4/3/11 5:23 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Hi Kim,

Yes I have heard of this happening, my port flipped before I even had my first  fill years ago.  I remember posting and people responding telling me that in some countries (mind you this was over 7 yrs ago) that they actually don't attach the port but keep it "free floating".  In the end I had mine fixed-quick day surgery (plus a fill all in one).  Goodluck, Kari

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Kate -True Brit
on 4/3/11 7:11 am - UK

I have heard of it. But so soon after surgery seems to suggest a not very good job done by the surgeon!

Hope it gets resolved easily!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Tiff tells all
on 4/4/11 5:28 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
my port went whompy about 5 or 6 months after surgery. 

It was a quick OP surgery to repair it. I was in the office at 8am and back in the car at 11. They knocked me out with the "twilight" thank god! The recovery from the repair was considerably easier. Plus there was no pre-op liquid diet required. They don't mess with the band or the stomach so they don't require the pre-op hoops like normal.

It happens.... sorry it happened to you!

BTW a different surgeon than my original surgeon repaired me and is following me now

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Most Active