My bandiversary (a day late...)

AlittleFaith
on 4/9/11 5:42 am - Pasadena, CA

I hadn’t even realized it’s my year bandiversary until I got my “happy anniversary" email from this site last night (in my email this morning.) Ironically, I ran/walk a 5k this morning in under 40 minutes.

I’m such a different person a year out, I hardly even recognize myself. I’m down more than 70 pounds, I’m active, I eat well and am out living a full life for the first time in years. My relationships are stronger, my friends see me in a whole new light, I buy clothes off the rack (I’m in a 12-14 at 5’11"-ish) and am starting to see a new person in the mirror. Even after most of my weight loss, what I saw in the mirror didn’t match the person I was in my head – the scale said I was smaller, but the mirror showed me the fat girl I was used to being. So I’m starting to see the new me, which is the biggest step forward in all this.

Have things been perfect? Nope. I still have pain in my stomach and port area, which mostly feels like someone has my stomach in their hands and is squeezing the daylights out of it (an upper GI last month showed it’s fine and well-placed) and I get a little bit stuck about twice a week despite pulverizing every bite. I am at 4.5ccs in my 10cc band and am staying there for now, using Weigh****chers and the responsibility to the scale weekly, as well as continued portion control and exercise to drop the last 25 pounds after a self-induced four-month plateau. I felt so good I was out and enjoying life all the time, and we all know how bad eating out can be, even when we can’t eat as much as everyone else and make mostly good choices.

I stopped coming around here mostly because of the back-and-forth arguing about which surgery was better and all the band bashing. I maintain that I don’t understand why anyone cares what other people do with their bodies. If you want to be charitable, help the underprivileged or the handicapped or members of our armed services. Don’t make other people feel bad for a very personal choice. If anyone had a bad experience, I feel awful for them, I do. But because mine was good and so far successful, that doesn’t mean I’m stupid or made the wrong decision for myself. Do I know it probably won’t last? Sure. Did I always know? Sure. Does a little piece of me wish that I will beat the odds and it will last forever? Sure. Then I have a little stuck episode and come crashing back to reality. I just know the more I care for my band the longer it will last and, therefore, the more it will help me.

Occasional pain bouts aside (they don’t tell you that some patients can actually “feel" the band like I can), I have no regrets. For everyone who’s thinking about it, all I can say is that so far it has worked for me. Better than I had hoped. I would tell anyone who wanted to get it to do their homework, go in with the knowledge of everything -- including complications -- make your own decision and not let anyone’s positive or negative experiences be the deciding factor. Do what’s right for you.

Mostly I wish you all as much success as I feel I’ve had regardless of the choice. I do, because being fat was miserable and I don’t wish that on anyone. Ever.

Information stage: 281 pounds
One week pre-op: 268
Two weeks post-op: 253
Current: 218 (I only weigh when I go to the doctor!)
Goal: somewhere in the "normal" range of 139 to 174. We'll see when I get there!
First fill: 2.5 ccs (5/26/10); Second fill: 1 cc (6/28/10); Third fill: 1cc (8/4/10); 4th fill: .5ccs ; slight unfill: .25ccs (11/3/10) = (4.75ccs total)
"I only live for today, but I'm one day behind..."
coachgrrl
on 4/9/11 6:00 am
 Happy Bandiversary Faith!!

and congrats!  You've done so well.  I hear you on the whole arguing thing, but that's why I have a few people on block.  I feel much like you do, I have so much more energy feell confident and attractive.  It's awesome isn't it?  

I think we need a picture Faith...ya know a little before and after action?   

AlittleFaith
on 4/9/11 6:08 am - Pasadena, CA
I still hate my photograph taken :P

BUT, for you, I will get some taken over the next couple days (my boyfriend's daughters are in town armed with brand new cameras) and post some...

Good to see you're still here. I feel like I "abandoned" my peeps, but I just can't take the crap. Know what I mean?

And you're doing fantastic! Well done, girl!
Goal: somewhere in the "normal" range of 139 to 174. We'll see when I get there!
First fill: 2.5 ccs (5/26/10); Second fill: 1 cc (6/28/10); Third fill: 1cc (8/4/10); 4th fill: .5ccs ; slight unfill: .25ccs (11/3/10) = (4.75ccs total)
Stephanie M.
on 4/9/11 6:02 am
Congrats Faith!!  I remember you last year when I was getting ready to have my surgery...haven't seen you around the board much lately.  Glad to see you back!!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

AlittleFaith
on 4/9/11 6:10 am - Pasadena, CA
You're doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

I'll come around more, I promise. Until someone bashes me for being happy and happy with my choice. Then I may check out again.

BUT, when that one person wished me failure with my band oh so many months ago, I take a certain satisfaction in -- so far -- being a complete success!
Stephanie M.
on 4/9/11 7:09 am
no kidding...I am sure that person and I have had a few "run-ins" but, I'm not scared, just keeping my a** covered....

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

coachgrrl
on 4/9/11 6:13 am
 Block 'em

Seriously.

There is great support to be had, just don't engage the crazy.

Can't wait to see your picture...you were gorgeous before, I know you're stunning now.

AlittleFaith
on 4/9/11 6:15 am - Pasadena, CA
Yes, I do believe I love you... ;)

And thanks, I am grateful for compliments after years of not getting 'em. I hope you can't relate 'cause you're just, well, pretty... ;)
coachgrrl
on 4/9/11 7:05 am
 :p

Tina1025
on 4/9/11 6:37 am - MD

I so enjoy reading all the bandiversary post. They are so inspiring. I am 6 months out and very happy with my choice. I am very open about my choice i read tons of stuff for years before i made my decision. I am fortunate that all has been good. I have had my ups and downs and i am sure it will always be like that. So thank you for sharing! It helps me keep my head in the game when i read the post, even the bandiversary that aren't so happy. Keep up the good work and lots of luck to you.

Most Active