Meat & Potato Kinda Gal........

Katie T.
on 4/13/11 12:04 pm - IL
Hi All --

Okay - so I am seriously a meat and potato type of girl.  To define that - I like things pretty simple but with good taste -- I also love cream sauces (like a gravy).  I have always stressed about making meat - whenever I make chix, it tastes funny and I dont like slimy meat.  I have seen many recipes on here for many very interesting things, but frankly I don't have the extra time and my husband and I won't eat it.  So -- suggestions are all very welcome....
Thank you -
Bored of Food.....
kathkeb
on 4/13/11 12:26 pm

I make meatloaf and meatballs --- and then re-heat with a little bit of Tomato/Basil soup to moisten it up (I buy the Safeway pre-made soup)

I make chicken or beef or pork in the crockpot with a container of salsa ---- let it cook all day and then shred with 2 forks --- my husband eats in a tortillia, and I eat the meat alone --- I bag this up and freeze in 1 cup portions and 'grab and go'

I brown a bunch of ground beef at one time --- I drain and rinse it and then I add marinara to 1/2 of it and make a batch of pasta sauce
I add chili seasoning to 1/2 of it --- throw in canned tomatoes, corn, sometimes even a box of frozen spinach, well drained -- for the extra fiber

Kath

Katie T.
on 4/13/11 12:45 pm - IL
 love all the ideas....thank you!  time to cook things up!!!!!  Keep the ideas coming everyone. 

Katie.
kbagnell
on 4/13/11 10:36 pm - Bristol, Canada

what about shepherd's pie?  Cooked ground beef with a little onion and gravy in the bottom of an oven proof dish, layer of creamed corn and then mashed potatoes on top.  Dab a little margarine on that and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour.

Chicken enchiladas:  buy the cooked chicken (Jane's boneless, skinless) and saute with a little onion and chopped peppers.  Add 1/2 package of light creamed cheese and 1/4 cup of salsa and coo****il well blended.  Spray an oven proof dish with Pam, add chicken mixture to soft tortillas and roll up.  Place seam side down in dish and put more salsa on top of each and a bit of low fat shredded cheese.  Cover with foil and cook for 1/2 hour at 350.  Serve with avocado/tomato salad drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.  This is a real yummy one. 

I drive 1 1/4 hours to work each way and don't have alot of time either and find these 2 above work well.  Sometimes I even have time to make up fillings on the weekend and then just put them together at night after work. 

I am always looking for new recipes for quick, easy and something both my husband and I can eat and will appreciate any ideas back my way too, with thanks.

Hislady
on 4/14/11 12:06 pm - Vancouver, WA
I live by my crock pot, usually cook up a big pot of some kind of meat and then eat it different ways all thru the week. I make meat sauces that hubby can put over rice or potatoes and I can eat the meat sauce alone or over quinoa or shirataki noodles. Start the week with slices of the meat and as the week goes on use it in casseroles or salads. Any left overs go in the freezer for big pot of stoup (stew like soup, nice and thick). Just practice and play around with sauces. When in doubt just sprinkle dry italian dressing packet over the meat to add extra flavor.Good luck!
Most Active