Car Accident Ciropractor and the Band

MissKasey
on 5/13/11 10:50 pm - Bothell, WA
I am 2 years post band. A year out my family was In a car accident. Weight loss has plateaued, which I am ok with. Things being what they were I was sent to see a chiropractor for the last 6 weeks and things have gotten worse for me on the band end...

I let him know about the band up front and he has been very gentle, however, the adjustments can be painful but I feel so much better when he's done. I really haven't thought much
About the band itself until yesterday...a light bulb came on as he was making the first adjustment. Yesterday in particular he happened to push very hard and it "touched" the port area. Having been frustrated with the lack of weight loss and not being able to do what I used to, went back to square one reviewed the band rules, logged everything I eat in a food journal and went back to the basics to maybe not lose but also not lose track.

After my "light bulb" experience I reviewed my eating habits and my appointment with the chiropractor are on Mondays and Fridays...the only days I have found I can truly eat without difficulty is Wednesday's and Sunday's...i am wondering if anyone else has experienced lap band irritation, swelling, or anything with a chiropractor. Or could this be only coincidence?
Miss Kasey
Day of surgery 292/Current 279/ Goal 180

sfnativewm
on 5/14/11 12:33 am
A chiro doesn't know the in's and outs of the band.  I do love them but know they should be no where near the band or port.  Be careful as the port plug can be pressure released from the tubing.   Also not being to eat without difficulty only on  wednesdays and sundays needs to be addressed with your dr.  Please call on Monday/

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

MissKasey
on 5/14/11 1:32 am - Bothell, WA
Thank you... I have a support group meeting with my surgeons PA each month and she didn't think anything of it (or didn't seem to) I have a call in to her already and will call for an appt too.
cathiec
on 5/14/11 2:13 am - Toms River, NJ
I have gone to she a chiro prior to being band and since never have had aproblem with the adjustments but he well informed about wls
Cathie

Stephanie M.
on 5/14/11 4:09 am
I have never been adjusted where my chiro touched anywhere near my port...I am always on my stomach for adjustments.  I have been probably 10 times since my surgery last year and never had a problem related to my band.

You should probably talk to your bariatric surgeon about this, you might have a problem not related to the band or your accident???

We're almost neighbors!  I am in Snohomish, but on the Mill Creek side of the valley...

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

MissKasey
on 5/14/11 6:21 am - Bothell, WA
Hello neighbor! I am in the Thrashers Corner area... I am definitely seeing the doctor just thought I would see if anyone else had experienced anything like that with chiropractic visits.

Having never had reason to see a chiropractor or been in a car accident it was new to me. We shall see.
Stephanie M.
on 5/14/11 9:23 am
Hi back at you!  I opened the Starbucks there in 2000!  Small world!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Hislady
on 5/14/11 6:41 am - Vancouver, WA
I've also seen the chiro several times since banding and had no problems but it would be a good idea to check with your doc. Good luck!
Jean M.
on 5/14/11 8:08 am
Revision on 08/16/12
My chiropractor never touches me anywhere near my port or band when he adjusts me, and when I was a new post-op, he adjusted me as if I were a pregnant patient.

Have you mentioned this to your chiropractor? I'd be curious to hear what he says. I think that chiropractic adjustments can affect nerves and body systems other than the spine and joints, so it's possible that what's going on in your spine after your adjustments is affecting your experience of restriction. A few years ago, a bandster posted on this forum about an unpleasant increase in restriction that she experienced after full body massage. At the time I thought she was being oversensitive, but since then I've become convinced that there's a lot going on in our bodies that's interconnected and far beyond our comprehension.

If it were me, I'd mention it to my bariatric surgeon as well, to hear what his theory is about the restriction effect and also because I'd wonder if a too-forceful adjustment could displace my band or port.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active