Experience with Sugar

OCCali_Girl
on 5/15/11 4:52 pm - CA
So I am in my 6 month post surgery and doing pretty damn well (if I do say so myself)! I have not had any sugar since my surgery, along with a few other things. This for me is a HUGE accomplishment as sugar has been my downfall for the last 40 years....

However, my B-day is this week and I started thinking about cake because that is one of my favorite sugary  foods.  I had it on the brain and could almost taste it in my mouth.  I had a party this weekend and wanted something to celebrate, so I gave myself permission to have some cake.

I had some anxiety over it, afraid I would set myself up for obsession but wanting to be normal... so I did it, and you know what??    It wasn't very good!!!  It left a funny taste in my mouth and it made me feel weird!    I had a small piece today and the same thing...

I just wanted to share because this is a big deal for me and I think it is important for newbies to be aware that it does not all have to be difficult and scary!  The band is an amazing tool and my whole life of food has changed since having it and I am grateful...so just wanted to share!

Thanks
~Anna

The band may not be perfect, but it will be perfect for me!

VEGAS IN JUNE GOAL!!        

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/11 10:19 pm
Happy birthday to you and congrats on your nsv!
Tricia W.
on 5/15/11 10:24 pm
I used to have such a huge sweet tooth pre-op and since then not as much. I find eating junk food a turn off now though. I end up feeling shaky and this weird adrenaline/sugar rush that always results in painful bowel movements (sorry if that was TMI).

I am and always have been a huge coffee drinker and people would joke because I would put a cup of sugar in it "have a little coffee with your sugar". Since lap band I switched to only putting 2 Splenda packets in my coffee and still find that very satisfying. I even bake with it when I need to bake (holidays, birthdays, and such) but 95% of the time I am sugar satisfied with fruit juice.

I found that overall sugary/carb foods are so much less satisfying as well and burn off so fast that I am hungry in 1/4 of the time I am when I eat protein rich meals. I never thought I would hear myself turn down a cupcake for a piece of fish.
Tarris
on 5/15/11 10:38 pm
Congratulations!  And Happy Birthday!

Most Active