Cancer and WLS.... Is it possible?

annhack
on 5/17/11 2:11 am - Brooklyn , NY
I am thinking about having weight loss surgery but im not sure if I am a good candidate because of my past history with cancer.  Anyone out there every had WLS and had Cancer before?  Would love to hear your story. 
bubblesrn
on 5/17/11 2:15 am
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
Hi Ann.  I'm a bariatric nurse and I've taken care of several patients who had a history of cancer and have gotten WLS.  It all depends on what type of cancer though.  If you want you can message me or share on this forum. 

Take care and hope everything works out for you!
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

annhack
on 5/17/11 2:36 am - Brooklyn , NY
Hi Jan

Thank you for responding to my post.  I had endormetiral cancer 4 years ago and now I am cancer free.  I would like to consider WLS and scare that I might not be able too. 
Lisaizme
on 5/17/11 2:44 am - TX
Ann,   I am an endometrial cancer survivor and had my band placed about 18 months after my hysterectomy.   Actually, we were planning my banding when the cancer was discovered and even considered for a short time doing both surgeries at once.. but decided to get the cancer taken care of and go from there.

Fortunately my cancer was found very early so surgery was my cure (hopefully.. I'm not quite at 5 years out from surgery yet.. August will be 4 years).

Banding has been a very good thing for me.  I've lost quite a bit of weight and am so much more active and healthier.  I keep my band just tight enough to curb my hunger, but not so tight as to keep me from eating a reasonable amount of food.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

bubblesrn
on 5/17/11 2:56 am
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
WOW Ann and Lisa... more power to you both!  I guess Lisa answered your question and for me!  =)

There is hope!

Take care!
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

ammnlb07
on 5/17/11 8:57 am
I had Stage 1 ovarian cancer. They caught it in time to prevent having to do a hysterectomy. I was very grateful for this since I am very young. I have many painful health problems that the doctor felt could be relieved by weight loss surgery. My ob/gyn is the one that recommended the surgery. I have not yet had weight loss surgery. I am still in the process of having it approved through the insurance company. I think that as long as your cancer didn't spread to areas that would affect the wls that you should be fine :)
debbie H.
on 5/17/11 11:49 am - AR
My hat is off to all of you cancer survivors.  You possess great inner strength and courage.  I bow to you.

Hislady
on 5/17/11 12:06 pm - Vancouver, WA
As the others have said it shouldn't be a problem. I had breast cancer and got the band with no isssues.
Jo N.
on 5/18/11 1:49 am - Crawfordsville, IN
I was diagnosised with cervical & uterine cancer about 18 months AFTER I had my band, so I can't give an insight or info of a before. But if it didn't hinder me before getting cancer... I don't see why it would be a hinder afterward.

Good Luck!
Five+ YEARS WITH THE LAP-BAND( 8/31/05)
Highest Weight: 317/Surgery Weight: 267/Lowest Weight: 148
Currently Filled 1.4cc in a 4 cc band APBand
Panniculectomy w/psudeo TT proformed by Dr Bergman 10/8/2009
Need Help With Success? Read a Geneen Roth Book. "When Food Is Love!"

Theresa L.
on 5/18/11 3:11 am - CA
I am my WLS on the 24th of May and I had been dignosed with Leiomyosarcoma in 1995 and also in 2005 I have done radiation and chemo.   I never lost any weight duing the treatment but I am ready to live at a healther weight than 378.  I am excited about having the tools to help me reach my goals.  Contact me you want.  Good luck with your decision.

Most Active