Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

bubblesrn
on 5/31/11 4:22 am
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
Hi all!
Did anyone catch the ABC show Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. 
It touched me deeply.  I am so very proud of all she accomplished but I don't think that the show portrays reality.  I would like to see these participants a year or 2 out of the show, when the cameras are off and reality sets in.  Although they do address some of the psychological issues, they don't really address them much throughout her journey. 

Did anyone catch her say "I should have gotten the lap band!"... so sorry but the lap band does not give you the quick fix and it is just as hard to lose the weight as with the program she went through.  That part kind of irritated me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

Lisaizme
on 5/31/11 4:31 am - TX
No I missed it.  Guess I'll see if it's on Hulu after I get through listening to J.Michaels podcast.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

shellqueen
on 5/31/11 6:38 am - New Brighton, MN
I didn't see the very beginning of it. I liked that they showed she didn't make all the goals. Also, addressed the eating issue and its impact on the family especially mom. However, since she didn't make her last goal I don't think she should have had surgery. Yes, they MD gave the pros and cons but she only lost 3 pounds in 3 months. That part was realistic but I wonder if they gave into her. Reality can be that if you don't make the goal you don't get the surgery. I was irritated with the emphasis on her physical appearance at the end rather than the accomplishments.

Just my opinion. K
barbara314
on 5/31/11 6:39 am
I thought she said, "If this doesn't work, I'm gonna have to get Lap Band surgery."  Maybe I heard it wrong. 

vlp1968
on 5/31/11 6:58 am
Bummer, I missed it. Is it online somewhere? thanks
Lisaizme
on 5/31/11 9:36 am - TX
Lisaizme
on 5/31/11 10:10 am - TX
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

vlp1968
on 5/31/11 8:18 pm
Thanks so much for the link.  I jus****ched it and enjoyed it.  I wonder if Rachel will be able to keep the weight off.  She seemed to continue to have issues with food, her weight loss really slowed down the second half of the year.
jkhawk8
on 5/31/11 8:06 am - Alexandria, KY
I think she may have a hard time maintaining unless her ENTIRE family gets on board, although supposedly the mother also lost 50 pounds, so maybe her attitude is changing somewhat.  I thought it was really sweet of her brother to not eat dessert in front of her when they were in Greece.  It seems like he really wants to support her efforts. 

I just hope she's learned enough and stays inspired enough to continue healthy eating from here on out.  We all know how hard the journey is, and it's a journey that never really ends.

Most Active