Cottage Cheese

Bellasarrah
on 6/22/11 2:48 am - NY
Since it seems that I am not taking in enough protein I thought that this weekend I would test drive cottage cheese...I hear its good for protein...are there any good recipes out there that can help jumpstart me? I have one that calls for scallions, cucumber, 1/4 cup mayo and a lil salt and pepper....more please!
Lisa O.
on 6/22/11 3:15 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I eat mine plain with a little pepper, or I love it mixed with fruit, (especially pineapple).  I ate a lot of CC in my first year post op and even mixed it with tuna for even more protein! 

Watch the sodium.  Cottage cheese has a surprisingly high amout of sodium but if you're not retaining water you will be fine.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

aliciahegeman
on 6/22/11 3:39 am - Highland, NY
i mix mine with salsa ....some times with sf jelly .....fruit....i tried the whipped cc .
Rachel412
on 6/22/11 3:58 am
 Try adding a splash of sugar-free syrups if you have any.  I like my cottage cheese with the Torani s-f vanilla syrup.
steelerfan1
on 6/22/11 4:06 am
yum yum I love cottage cheese !!!

Like Lisa said I didnt realize how much sodium was in it till I started looking at my sodium count . Yikes.

But , I love cottage cheese plain with just pepper and my favorite is with sliced tomatos and cottage cheese spread over top of it :o) 

there are times I will eat cottage cheese and tomatoes for a snack lol

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Lisaizme
on 6/22/11 4:11 am, edited 6/22/11 12:36 pm - TX
I'd use reduced fat mayo.. 1/4 a cup sounds like a lot.  Or 1/8 cup reduced fat mayo & 1/8 cup 0% greek yogurt.

Greek yogurt is high in protein, bu****ch the sugars in the fruitified versions.  I get the plain 0% greek yogurt and add my own fresh fruit and some splenda/truvia/equal.. whatever 0 cal sweetner you can tolerate.

You can also use the greek yogurt to make a healthy dip for veggies.  Look up recipes for Tzatziki.

Or mix in a package of powdered ranch dressing.

I like cottage cheese with fruit.  Or cut a tomato almost to the bottom 4 ways, and stuff it with cottage cheese.

I think I'm getting hungry now.  :)
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

MurphysMom
on 6/22/11 8:53 am - CA
I love cottage cheese with truvia and cinnamon sprinkled on top.
  One day at a time, and one meal at a time, and I WILL reach my goal!  
got2wantit
on 6/22/11 12:08 pm
I also love cottage cheese with a fruit cup added to it after the juice is drained.  High in protein and low in calories, but it is a slider food for me so it doesn't satisfy me.  Will have to try it with the black pepper.
steelerfan1
on 6/22/11 12:22 pm
I cant eat just cottage cheese either and be full.  Now if I eat it with tomatoes that will fill me up , it dont keep me as full like reg. meat does but it does the trick for a quick afternoon snack .

The sodium kills me though so I have to becareful how much I eat of it :o(

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Most Active