How can u tell if it doesnt work?

BandMeUp
on 7/17/11 9:59 pm - PA
How can u guage if Lapband is not working for you? I am 5months preop and have only lost 35 lbs . Im very discouraged
Cant wait to meet the "New Me"  
Highest Weight  : 274lbs
Weight At Surgery: 264lbs

Donnamarie
on 7/17/11 10:17 pm - NY
That's 7 pounds a month.  Look at it that way.  That is about 1 1/2 pounds a week.  Good weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week.  I'd say that's pretty successful!!!

Are you staying full for periods of time? Are you still hungry after eating dense protein?  Do you feel in control of your eating?  Those are measures of my success in my head.

Are you working out, feeing better about yourself?  sometimes the weight loss is not the only measure of how well you are doing.  Being in control of my food to me is by far the best and biggest success!

You are doing great!!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

bubblesrn
on 7/17/11 10:35 pm
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
ONLY 35 pounds and you're 5 months out... like DonnaMarie said... 7 pounds a month is pretty awesome...so yes I would say your band is working.  Average and desired weight loss is about 1-1.5 pounds a week so I would say that you are right on track! 
Keep working at it!

Take care and wishing you all the best!
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

crystal M.
on 7/17/11 11:17 pm - Joliet, IL
Did your surgeon tell you what to expect as far as weight loss???  He told 1-2 lbs per week.  You are within the 1-2 pounds.  I think your expectations are higher than this WLS is going to delver to the average person. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 11:49 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
Sounds to me like you are well within the range. Some of us lose faster and some of us lose slower.
Lisa O.
on 7/18/11 12:14 am - Snoqualmie, WA
We need more information to offer any suggestions but 35 lbs is 35 lbs!!!  Celebrate the win and keep moving forward.

So, how is your restriction? 
Have you had a fill lately?
How many calories are you eating a day?
How much protein g per day?
Are you exercising?
Are you drinking 64 oz of water or zero calorie beverages daily?

These are just a few basic questions, but good ones to ask yourself. 

If you have good restriction and the band is doing it's part to curb hunger and help you control portion size, then look toward your diet choices for answers.  Are you logging every bite so you can know exactly what the content of your diet is? 

If you're hungry between meals, can eat more than a 1 cup portion of dense protein and veggies, and your WL has stalled then it's time for a fill. 

Hang in there and NEVER give up!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Bette B.
on 7/18/11 12:15 am
 There are a lot of missing details here. How is your fill level/restriction? Feeling full on small amounts of food and staying full-feeling for a few hours? If not, you probably could use a fill.

Are you eating the right foods? Exercising? It sucks, but it helps.

That being said, I will echo what everyone else wrote. 7 pounds a month is fabulous. I know you'd like to be losing more, faster - we all do - but sometimes as the saying goes, slow and steady wins the race.

Also, depending on how much you have to lose, you may lose faster or slower. Higher BMI people tend to lose faster (but not always) and men lose faster than women.

You're doing great! Give yourself some credit. When was the last time you lost 35 pounds? Celebrate the small victories!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

shamr0ck
on 7/18/11 12:40 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 12/20/10
I have lost 41 pounds in 7 months.  That's 41 pounds that i could never get off by myself.  That alone makes me consider my band a success, even though the progress seems slow.  I've got another 30 pounds or so to take off to reach goal, and i fully expect that to take another 6 months.  Slow and steady, and it will never come back!
Highest weight - 224   Surgery weight - 201   Current weight - 155
Goal - (surgeon) 155; (personal) 138-bodyfat 20%

Cheryl N.
on 7/18/11 1:38 am - Des Moines, WA
35 lbs in 5 months is awesome! 

How's your statiety level? 
Eating protein first?

Not regurgrating? 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

lamckib
on 7/18/11 3:36 am
Cheryl,

I was just wondering if you could tell me why you are having a revision?  I am also thinking about doing this and would love to hear your story.  It would be nice to have someone else going through this to talk to.

Thank you,

Lori (Sun Prairie,  Wi)
Most Active