Do you ever have food particles stuck in your esophogus?

pookieg
on 7/26/11 2:27 am - DFW, TX
I notice if I recline or lie down too soon after I eat, occasionally I will get small food particles that seem to get stuck in my thoat or esophogus.  I am afraid I am going to get throat cancer or something crazy.  Of course I always think the worst but it is a concern.  I think maybe it is like the opposite of a blister, like an indentation where food particles have become stuck.

I notice it mostly if I take my medicine before bedtime, I lie down too soon and I can feel a pill or two that is just kind of stuck.  I have to press down on the outside of my throat to make it break down and then drink a bunch of water to get it to go down.

Is this dangerous?  I am so afraid this will cause serious medical problems.

Kate -True Brit
on 7/26/11 2:52 am - UK

IMO the key thing is the lying down too soon! As the area above the band is so small, we have to allow things to move down or they are just too close to the top of the stomach.

Medicines are, however, a concern of mine. Many people find not the slightest problem with taking pills or capsules. Others find them impossible. But the problem is that we may not know if the meds are dissolving above the band rather than going through it. The top area is less acidic and so tabs are going to dissolve more slowly and the tissues of the oesophagus are not designed to stand up to things the way the stomach tissues are.

Meds which need to dissolve inside us are not designed to do so above the band!

Many vets ( not all, many may disagree with me on this) prefer not to take this risk. I take nothing which is not soluble, liquid, dispersible or chewable. So far my doc has been able to find something suitable!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

harmony9975
on 7/26/11 7:41 am
I agree with Kate.  I take all my vitamins, aminos, meds etc in capsule form---open them up and put in a glass to drink down with a flavored liquid such as crystal light or a protein shake.  I was told not to take anything in pill form.

Best wishes
cheyenne000
on 7/26/11 10:42 am
VSG on 03/25/16
I had that problem but it had nothing to do with the band. I had a small stricture that needed to be dilated. took about 15 seconds during an EGD and have not had that problem since. Walgreen's has a product called pill glide it might help. But I agree with Kate I only take liquid or pills that dissolve.  I wont take a chance of them causing irritaton or getting stuck

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Lori F.
on 7/26/11 2:56 pm - Chula Vista, CA
Even though some are hard to get, all of medications come in chewable or liquid form. I tried to open the capsules but the taste is soooo awful I couldn't take it. Talk with your doc. And definitely don't lie down after taking pills or eating.  I have trouble swallowing in the morning so I have to do my meds throughout the day.
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Most Active