Help...plane travel question....

jenlyn3
on 7/31/11 8:39 am
VSG on 05/14/13
I'm flying to Hawaii tomorrow and it will be my first flight with my new band.  My surgeon said my band my tighten in flight(at high altitude).  Can anyone share their experieces flying with a band?  I'm a little worried about having to use the restroom urgently and or it being painfully tight?  I was thinking about not eating the day before...
1106ng
on 7/31/11 9:50 am - Greenville, MI
I've flown a number of times and have had no problems. I just do my regular food before and after flight and drink some jc and water on board. I do have snacks/bars
in case I get hung up somewhere.
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 11:34 am
my band gets tight during and after flying. My suggestion is treat flying like a fill. Go easy during flight and once you land.

Noel
kathkeb
on 7/31/11 1:52 pm
I travel frequently (4 - 6 times a month) and have not had problems with my band feeling any tighter than normal.

I do NOT rely on airports or airplanes to have food for me -- and so I always have a Luna Bar and some whole grain crackers in my bag in case I need a small snack.

Air travel can be de-hydrating -- so, drink plenty of water while you travel.
Kath

MARIA F.
on 7/31/11 2:03 pm - Athens, GA

I have never had a problem with my band tightening in flight.

I also agree with what Kath said about bringing some snacks and staying hydrated!

FormerlyFluffy.com

jrspriggs
on 7/31/11 4:09 pm - MD
I can fly just fine...no problems. I would make sure to stay hydrated and bring a band friendly snack! Have a great time in Hawaii!
Jenny S
Kate -True Brit
on 7/31/11 9:53 pm - UK
In a written reply to this question, Allergan said that as the band is filled with liquid not air, pressure caused by altitude should have no effect. However there may be minute air bubbles which could expand but not enough to make the band tighter.

However, as many vets will attest, all sorts of things cause the sensation of tightness as the tissue within the band swells. For me, stress is one such factor. Even if flying holds no fears, it is stressful - deadlines, queues, holiday excitement.

I have flown, quite literally, twice round the world and many shorter, 4 or 5 hour flights. And I have never had any problem. Just drink plenty to avoid dehydration and perhaps avoid foods you know are difficult or you. For example, I always avoid the beef option in airline meals.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 11:12 pm

Be careful after landing as well. I travelled to Vegas for  my birthday in March and wasn't able to eat a solid meal without getting stuck the entire trip.  Maybe take some protein with you so you can have a protein shake if necessary.

I know some people don't have problems, but I sure do. It might not be a bad idea to even find the name of a band surgeon close by where you'll be if you need an emergency unfill.

-Mari-
on 8/1/11 9:03 am
I just flew for the first time, since being banded. I was a little worried, I had absolutely, no problems. I had heard to make sure and drink water before hand, so I bought a bottle before boarding. But on the way back I didn't and was fine. I would not skip a meal, if it does get tight I believe it will only be slightly tight. Drink something hot, coffee on the plane and it will help. Good luck.
BTW have a BLAST!!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 12:43 pm
I am a very frequent flyer - about 4 flight segments a week - and I'll tell you that I do have some issues with tightness in flight. It has nothing to do with stress, I'm the least stressed traveler you could meet. For me, it starts about 10 minutes in and then gets better a few hours after I land. It's not REALLY bad, but I can feel it.

Just sip water and avoid the peanuts! You should definitely bring your own food, preferably a mushy. Plane food is 1. awful and 2. not always band-friendly.

Have a GREAT trip!
Most Active