Confused and aggravated - Calcium Supplements

NJDizzybee
on 8/6/11 9:40 am - Riverside Township, NJ
Hi Everyone - I haven't been on in a long time because I have a new job - YAY!  No more Unemployment - double YAY!  And I LOVE my new job!

I had my 2nd fill last Monday...all went well until the nurse handed me the papers to have blood work done.  Yikes.  They have been adamant (sp) about taking Calcium Supplements.   I have not been taking them because I get kidney stones and the stones are calcium based.  My urologist told me not to take added calcium.  But when I mentioned that to my nutritionist, she insisted that calcium was very important and they want me to take them. 

Can they pick up calcium levels in the blood?  I want to follow my surgeon's orders, but I don't want kidney stones ever again. 

Anyone else have this issue?

PurplHaze
on 8/6/11 12:03 pm
Personally, I would follow the urologists advice but I would also ask my regular Dr to do a bone density test to make sure that all else is good and that there is no reason to rake calcium supplements. Nutritionists, valuable as they are, are not medical Dr's.
PurplHaze
on 8/6/11 12:05 pm
Forgot to add, congrats on the new job!
NJDizzybee
on 8/7/11 12:26 am - Riverside Township, NJ
Thanks, Purple!  I never thought of a Bone Density Test.  I'm seeing my regular doc tomorrow and ask for the script.  And thanks for the Congrats!
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 1:12 pm - Des Moines, IA
Yes, there's a calcium level that can be drawn.  You could keep a food/drink journal to record how much calcium you are getting in a day and then talk to your Urologist about what is safe in your situation. 

Congrats on your job!
Kristi
Most Active