URGENT ADVICE NEEDED: Riding roller coaster with the band

bonitachica9679
on 8/14/11 1:02 am - Huntington, WV
Hi all,

My husband and I have decided to take a spur of the moment trip to Kings Island. After seeing that I had hit 30lbs lost this morning, I figured this would be a great reward. I can't call my doctor however to find out about roller coasters. I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow and I can barely even see my incicions anymore. What do you guys think? Can I ride coasters? What are your experiences? 

Thanks so much!
Kate -True Brit
on 8/14/11 1:18 am - UK
This is a personal not a medical view! I would be reluctant at 4 weeks post op ( any abdominal op ) to go on any ride which might result in being pressed or thrown hard against a bar or restraining strap.

But others may come in to say that they did this with no problem.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

steelerfan1
on 8/14/11 1:23 am, edited 8/14/11 1:26 am
my doc told me no coaster rides till after six weeks .  The bars and the straps are tight around the stomach and he said you get slung aorund its not a chance worth taking just being out of surgery .

If it was me I would not do it , its not worth the risk you can always go to KI another time . 

PS its been yrs since I have been there and Im only about 3 hrs away from it.  That will be a trip I will have to take next yr either that one or Busch  Gardens down in Va which is totally awesome to .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

rebecca110
on 8/14/11 9:34 am - Milledgeville, GA
My advice is do not ride such a ride. At four weeks I started working out with a trainer and did a few sit ups.  That is when I first started pain in my side which lasted for a couple of months.  Give it time to get well inside.
bonitachica9679
on 8/14/11 1:41 am - Huntington, WV
I was afraid u guys would say that. Now I'm not sure what to do. We already packed car and are headed out. I don't care if it hurts but if it could cause me to loose my band that's another story
rdd9348
on 8/14/11 4:16 am - OR
steelerfan1
on 8/14/11 2:42 am
Like I said if it was me I would not do it.  Your port is the one area that takes the longest to heal out of everything and all it will take is one good hard hit against the seat belts or the coaster its self and then you could be in real trouble.

Then again nothing might not happen but its a 50 /50 shot .  

It all depends on you if the risk is worth taking .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10

bonitachica9679
on 8/14/11 2:55 am - Huntington, WV
Thanks for the advice. We're still going but to the water park insted. I think the lazy river will be nice. And a good workout swimming. Thanks for the support and advice.
Kate -True Brit
on 8/14/11 3:48 am - UK
sorry to sound negative. but I would hesitate before doing a swimming workout! All that pulling of ab muscles? depends what you mean by a workout! I swam at about 4 weeks out but not strongly enough to call it real exercise!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

steelerfan1
on 8/14/11 4:10 am
I have to agree with Kate again on this .

Didn't your doctor tell you absolutely no exercise except for walking for six to eight weeks after your surgery ? 

Your port is stitched onto your ab muscles and only after four weeks its still tender enough where you could could do some damage from pulling on it .

I was not allowed to do anything that involved your abs for six weeks and even then I had to go another 3 weeks after that till I could do any ab work and swimming works your abs.

Gosh I cant believe your doc didn't tell you these things .  Im almost 9 months out of surgery and I did alot of swimming last weekend and even then my port area was tender and sore from working them muscles , I can just imagine what it would be like after four weeks of surgery.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10

Most Active