having a revision but no band bashing

Annette O.
on 8/30/11 3:02 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with

I'm scheduled for my revision to RNY on 9/19, almost 5 years to the day of my lap band. All too often on these boards people like to bash other surgeries like the (my surger is better than your surgey mentality).
  While I have not lost much weight and certanly haven't kept off what I did lose I do have other positives. When I had my lapband surgery I was diabetic and was on 3 different high blood pressure meds. I've been diabetic free for 4 years and have been on 1/2 of one pill for blood pressure maintence. The pont of surgery is for our Health and the lap band did improve my health.
   The ironic thing is that not having the co-morbidities made i hard to get approvel! I did get my approval and am looking ahead to being a loser in a positive sense instead of feeling like a loser in the negative sense.
  I'm sure my story for revision is not different than most, I've had fills un-fils, throwing up daily etc. But the important thing to remember is: This surgery cured me of my co-morbidities. It didn't work for me in other areas but it does work for A LOT of people.

Annette O
Cheryl N.
on 8/30/11 3:23 am - Des Moines, WA
No bashing here, I had a revision myself from lapband to RNY almost a month ago today. 

Warning, though, the bypass is a lot harder than the lapband, in recovery.  But it will get better.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Cheryl N.
on 8/30/11 3:24 am - Des Moines, WA
I'm finally off pureed food and on soft food which is much better than pureed food.  UGH!

I posted my experience so I will post a link here to this.....

Good luck! I'm excited for you.  I am very happy with my decision to have this revision plus an extremely supportive surgeon!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4441749/3-weeks-ou t-revision-from-band-to-bypass-experience/#36722469

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

debbie H.
on 8/30/11 11:00 am - AR
I'm so glad you health improved.  I wish you nothing but the best!  We are all here, pretty much in the same boat.  I'm glad you can revise.  I'm self pay, so I really, really, REALLY have all my eggs in the lapband basket.  Hope it works for me, but I do realize it sometimes fails.  Best of Luck to you in your revision surgery.

Annette O.
on 8/30/11 12:07 pm - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
Thanks for the support! I wish you luck also Debbie. There are so many people on here with positive weight loss results with the Lap band. Being self pay you need the extra support that you'll get here.
Annette O
steelerfan1
on 8/30/11 12:19 pm
I wish you the best of luck Annette and I really admire you and have alot of respect for you on how you are taking this .  You could be a very bitter person through all this and bash the band but you are looking on the positive side also what you have accomplished with the band .

You have added yrs onto your life just getting your blood pressure down and not being a diabetic no more that to me is alot more of accomplishment right there. 

You can be over weight but still be healthy sounds weird but its true. 

I wish you all the success in the world with your new surgery and I know you will be successful just from your wonderful attitude you have :o)

Keep us updated on how you are doing !!!

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Annette O.
on 8/31/11 8:33 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
Thank you so much Steelers Fan. I just get so tired of the band bashing, that I thought I needed to say something. I can't say that I'm looking forward t surgery, but with the support of positive thinkers here on OH it makes the rough spots easier.
  I was thinking, "Gee once my band is removed should I be on the band board?" But you know what this is where I started my journey, so while I go to the RNY board and the revision board, somehow this is the board that's linked on my favorites...LOL
Annette O
jacreasy
on 8/31/11 4:51 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 Im new on here and Im looking to do the lap band next march or april, I have read many profiles of people that have done it and its worked for them and they would do it again but I havent came across many that didnt like it or many that it didnt work for them.

My question for you is can you tell me a little more in detail if you dont mind im trying to get all the info pros and cons that I can. Good luck  keep us posted. 
tripmom02
on 8/31/11 7:04 am - NJ
 Check out the revsion and failed surgery forums for a better picture, you can also check The Failed Lap Band group or check out the VSG forum where many of us revisions have ended up.

It does work for a few, but not for many. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Annette O.
on 8/31/11 8:48 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
If you stick around long enough and go to the other surgery boards you'll see surgery bashing...lol sorry just being a little sarcastic (there really has to be a sarcasm font). Anyway the lapband works for lots of people, I don't happen to be one of them. I've had a lot of trouble. I do realize it's just a tool to help you, and I worked at it, but it just hasn't been the right tool for me. As far as my cons they are personal and I would never say they'd happen to others.  First of all I didn't get ANY restriction for 8 months, and 5 fills. That was a long time to feel hungry and frustrated. Then when i finally had restricition I was finally losing weight things were going good and out of no where I'd get so tight I couldn't drink water. The first time it happened I waited 3 days to the point of dehydration (my pee was orange!) I had to have a complete unfill, then another 5 months of building back up to the sweet spot, then came the vomiting. It wasn't even like that more like when a baby spits up, no wreching involved, just up it comes. Then back to a slight unfill, then days of being a bottomless pit, and back to so tight I couldn't drink anything.I've had 4 unfills in 5 years.  I think my band has it's own valve tight/untight, tight/untight. Anyway the last 3 years have been that way. i've finally realized it's not my fault. It's just not the right tool for me.
 I wish you the best of luck and hope your one of the lucky ones.
Annette O
Most Active