A girlie question

Bellasarrah
on 9/6/11 6:27 am - NY

Before I was banded my periods didnt bother me...and now I've noticed since I've lost 53 lbs that I am bleedig more and am having pain...did that happen yto anyone else out there...let me know thanks

steelerfan1
on 9/6/11 6:31 am
actually I'm the opposite now thank goodness.I use to have severe cramps with my period and they would last anywhere from 5-7 days  .

Now, I hardly cramp I do some months but nothing that some midol dont take care of and now my periods are only about 3 days now .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

heazer
on 9/6/11 7:44 am - Cary, NC
 I was "lucky" and had a cycle the same week I had surgery.  It was very light.  I usually have mild cycles, but not THAT mild.  Two weeks later I thought I was going to DIE I had a cycle so bad.  Now I've evened out as my weight loss as slowed to 1-2 pounds a week.  If you are still losing fat, and that fat is releasing hormones into your system, it's possible for those hormones to present themselves as a terrible cycle.  If it continues every month, I would see my doctor and ask for help controlling the symptoms.
Jean M.
on 9/6/11 8:54 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Thank goodness, I'm way, way past having to deal with periods, but I can tell you that weight loss does affect your hormones, menstrual cycles, and moods. As your fat cells shrink, they release estrogen, and that can cause all sort of side effects.

But, having said that, I will also say that if you're bleeding more and having pain, you need to talk to your GYN about it, because weight loss may not be the only cause. About 10 years after my menopause ended, I started bleeding again and having pain. Nothing to do with my weight (I was still obese then). It turned out that I had a lot of fibroids and my uterine lining was 3 times thicker than it should be (a red flag for cancer). In my case, no cancer, but I ended up having a hysterectomy.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

crystal M.
on 9/6/11 12:23 pm - Joliet, IL
I too found out I had a fibroid (only one)...but it's about 4 inches.  It caused problems suddenly one day when I was at work and stood up and litterally had a puddle of blood at my feet.  It was even pooled in my shoes.  It got better with birth control and I never get my period now. 

I also know there is a ton of hormones stored in our fat and as we lose weight the hormones are released into our bodies causing some issues for some people.  After losing 150 lbs I haven't had any issues but again I'm on birth control. 
fatgirl2slimgirl
on 9/6/11 1:12 pm
You should go to your PCP and get some blood work done. its possible you could be anemic.I had some really heavy periods too and when I went and got my blood work done the pcp told me i had anemia ad she said that when you are anemic you period can be heavier. She perscribed me some ferrous sulfate (iron). After I started taking them, my period became lighter..so maybe that it..
dhenault
on 9/7/11 3:39 am
Bella - I've got the exact same problem - have the worst cramps - and lasts about a week now! And I take birth control to regulate it. I noticed the difference when I lost the weight.

Most Active