Advice

finchy
on 9/7/11 4:52 am - IL
Hello,

I was active on this forum before my lapband surgery and have since not spent much time here.  My surgery was in Feb. 2007, and since then I have lost and kept off 45-50 pounds, depending on the month.  I have also had a successful prenancy since then, and I credit the lapband with curing my infertility.  However, that pregnancy apparently caused my band to slip.  Following the delivery of my daughter, I asked for a fill of 2ccs... which was my fill level prior to pregnancy and I had only just begun to feel restriction.  I lost 30lbs, which was enough to allow me to become pregnant.  Losing that 30lbs felt like it was very much my own doing... fearful that I would fail at wls, I just tried to eat a lot less, never really feeling restriction.  As I said, just before pregnancy, at 2ccs, I began to feel the band.  So 3mos after delivery I begged that all 2ccs be put back in so that I could begin where I left off.  The doctor accommodated my request, and after a horrible experince for the following 12 hours, I had an emergency unfill.  Under fluoro, she saw that my band had slipped and that explained why the 2ccs were too much.  I never went back. 

Since then I began running, which is a term that should be used loosely.  However, I've built up an endurance and can jog continuously for an hour.  I've completed 16 races in a year and a half, including a duathlon and a sprint triathlon just three weeks ago.  My theory was... since I can't seem to beat my food addiction, I had better turn to rigorous exercise.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work.  I have lost very minimal weight on this exercise regime, so I decided it was time to get a fill.  My baby is now 3 1/2 years old, so I figured I would give the band another try. 

I went in for a consult  two weeks ago, and my fill was scheduled for yesterday.  They changed their procedure, and fills must now be conducted under fluoro.  Before she planned the fill, she wanted simply to see my band placement.  She did not like what she saw and she immediately removed the 1cc of saline that was in there.  Not only that, but she told me that my band must be corrected.  I was and am in shock.  I can hardly stand the thought of surgery.  It scares me so much.  I have two beautiful children and I just hate doing anything that puts me at risk for not being with them. 

There are two positive things to consider, however.  One is that she has offered to replace my band, if I would like, with the realize band.  She said it is up to me... because she could also just tweak the band that I currently have.  The other benefit is that the way that she placed the port that I have now has left it visible through my skin.  It even protrudes through my shirts at times.  So she would be able to correct that slight issue as well.  She said I do not have the option to just leave it alone.  However, we now have to find out if insurance will cover this surgery. 

If any of you have experience with any of this, I would be so appreciative if you would share your knowledge.  I'm reallly just in a totally different place now than I was pre-wls.  I'm not sure if I can get back to my original thought patterns... I think I was very desperate for change then.  I still have a lot of weight to lose.  I need to lose another 75 to be healthy.  I think wanting the fill was a step in the right direction and was almost all that I was mentally prepared for... so this second surgery concept is really more than I can handle at this point.  Thank you in advance for your time.
Highest Ever *Surgery* Current * Goal
            289 *281.6 *249* 170

Lisa O.
on 9/7/11 6:22 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I have no experience with this but want to wish you the best.  We all fear having our band slip so I can only imagine what you're going through.  But when it comes down to it, you are risking your life by putting the surgery off.  Please do not delay.  If the Dr. codes it as a life threatning condition it should be covered by insurance but the surgeon should be able to help you find out if it's covered.  Only you can decide if you want another band.  You may want to consider an alternative surgey like the Sleeve if you insurance will cover it.

Whatever you do, don't give up.  Obesity is likely more deadly than the surgery. 

Best wishes~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

finchy
on 9/7/11 7:05 am, edited 9/7/11 7:05 am - IL
Thank you for your thoughts. I guess I am so removed from all of this that I didn't realize it would be considered life threatening.  I'll need to look into that further.
BuckeyeGirl
on 9/7/11 6:42 am - TN

Another surgery is a difficult thing to come to terms with...when I finally accepted my band was not working and that I would need a revision, I was very emotional. It was sad to think of losing my band. Of course now, it is the best thing I have ever done for myself and I am so thankful for the opportunity to revise.

I am sorry to hear of your slip. Unfortunately, once you experience a slip, you are far more likely to experience slips with future bands that are placed. Since you aren't very excited about follow-up surgeries (bands often require replacement, repair, or removal as you and I both have now learned the hard way), have you considered possibly revising to a different surgery?

Congrats on the awesome activity! That is really something to be proud of!

Best of luck,
Lindsey

finchy
on 9/7/11 7:09 am - IL
Thank you for your thoughts as well.  As with the above post, I did not realize it's likely to experience a slip again.  Also not on my radar was the idea of repairs or adjustments later.  I was very hopeful of having an uneventful band life.  I'm not giving up on it, as I prefer not to permanently alter any of my organs.  So I will also carefully consider just having it removed altogether.  
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 7:31 am - Des Moines, IA
I know if I have a "mechanical failure" band slip etc, I will want the sleeve.  I pray that nothing ever happens to my band, but I'm realistic and realize there's a high probability of problems.  I encourage you to look into all of your options.
finchy
on 9/7/11 12:13 pm - IL
I guess I am so surprised that there is a consensus that the band = problems.  Maybe more band placements, more years gone by, and now people have reported more issues.  Thanks.  I will definitely look into all the options.
BuckeyeGirl
on 9/8/11 12:06 am - TN
Yes, the band has a high rate of post-op complications and stats are now showing that just over 50% of patients lose their original bands by 10 years. I think the number is around 30% at 5 years but you should look these studies up for yourself. My surgeon told me that he does more band removals than placements these days.

There is a failed bands group here on OH with 186 members so far:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/

I know you are not in a revision mindset right now as you may be able to save your band, but I did want to add this about another post...

Just as another poster mentioned they will have their revision in 2 surgeries, I wanted to point out that the band does alter the stomach. It can result in adhesions, erosions, and scar tissue. Sometimes the surgeon has to wait several months after removal to see if the stomach will be able to heal enough to proceed with the revision. I was able to have my revision and removal done in the same surgery, but sometimes the surgeon doesn't know until he/she gets in there.

Best of luck and keep us updated!
Lindsey

finchy
on 9/8/11 1:30 am - IL
Thank you.  I put in a request to join that group. 

My surgeon did tell me that there is the possibility that once she gets in there, a revision won't be possible and removal may be needed.  At this point, even some of my family members are requesting that I just have it removed altogether.  However, I really feel like I need the help.  I also wonder if my band was helping at all in the first place?  I'm pretty confused.  I am heading to my general physician later today to seek his counsel.  Thank you for your information. :)
MARIA F.
on 9/8/11 4:32 pm - Athens, GA
On September 8, 2011 at 8:30 AM Pacific Time, finchy wrote:
Thank you.  I put in a request to join that group. 

My surgeon did tell me that there is the possibility that once she gets in there, a revision won't be possible and removal may be needed.  At this point, even some of my family members are requesting that I just have it removed altogether.  However, I really feel like I need the help.  I also wonder if my band was helping at all in the first place?  I'm pretty confused.  I am heading to my general physician later today to seek his counsel.  Thank you for your information. :)

~I also wonder if my band was helping at all in the first place?~

From what you have written it doesn't sound like the band helped in your weight loss at all. You have gone 4 years without restriction. It sounds like you have done it all on your own through diet and exercise. Since you do need to lose quite a bit more I would STRONGLY suggest revising to an EFFECTIVE WLS instead of the band. Replacing one band with another is kind of like replacing a '95 Yugo with a '96 Yugo.......your still getting a POS.

There is also a new Facebook Failed Lap-Bands group. Please join.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active