antibiotics and the band?

onmyway06062011
on 9/10/11 9:37 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14
has anyone else had  problems taking an antibiotic since you had your band? my doctor precribed 875mg of amoxicillin for an upper respiratory infection and i have taken it since yesterday and i have such bad heartburn and pain everything i have tried to eat does not agree and my stomach feels like it is flip-flopping i have never had a problem before my band with antibiotics any input would be appreciated thank you

LapBandMomma
on 9/10/11 11:21 am
i have never had any problems.  Have you tried taking a probiotic to help? 
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 10:38 pm - Des Moines, IA
I always ask for liquid if I have to take an antibiotic.  Someone on this board had the large antibiotic get stuck in the upper pouch. You need to talk your Dr. about your symptoms.

Hope you get feeling better soon!
Kristi
Jean M.
on 9/11/11 1:10 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I was the one who got an antibiotic capsule stuck in my pouch. It was too big to go through my stoma, so it sat there slowly dissolving into corrosive sludge. It was so painful, I thought I was having a heart attack and ended up in 2 ER's in the same day. Finally my surgeon did a big unfill and the symptoms went away. Ever since then, I insist on liquid antibiotics.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

onmyway06062011
on 9/11/11 4:14 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

thank you for your responses i did not take any more antibiotic yesterday afternoon/evening or today and my symptoms have improved greatly from now on i am going to ask for liquids when i have to take an antibiotic the antibiotic i was on was a large pill so i think that was probably part of the problem thanks again

heathercross
on 9/11/11 6:58 am - New York, NY
I'm on amoxicillian right now and I'm taking liquids. I had my band put in June and while I dont have a significant amount of fill there yet I wasn't taking any chances. All drugs come in liquids.
jacreasy
on 9/12/11 4:17 am
VSG on 04/23/12
What if you need advil or something for a headake? do you use childrens?? dont have band yet just wondering??

Jen
heathercross
on 9/13/11 5:52 am - New York, NY
Childrens Tylenol liquid, comes in generic too in bubble gum, grape and wild cherry. I'm using it for cramps right now.
Most Active