Possible Lap Ban slippage

CDJ
on 9/16/11 10:24 am
Hi folks....I had LB 4 years ago.  I am at goal, but recently started having some a-reflux/burning issues.  Went to Doc yester and he did  a GI.  He tried to take some fluid out - but could only get 1.8 ml...it wouldn't release the rest.  He said the GI was unclear - but that the band may have slipped  a little...he is not sure.  I am going back Mon for another GI - to see if they can get a better pix.  I do have relief and no AR/burning today.  BUT he said if it has slipped it would mean some type of surgery,  UGH>  I don't want that.  I know I see several talking about how much fluid they have in their bands....which are much greater numbers than mine.  They must be different sizes or brands or something.  But the most I have ever had in mine is 4.2 ml.  Hope that from this big group someone knows or has experiences this.
CJ
Shelley Malskis
on 9/16/11 11:24 am - NY
OMG , I hope all works out well for you.  I don't know if the band comes in different sizes, but maybe different measurements are being used, I think mine has like 6.5cc. Not sure if that would be more or less, but could explain the difference.  Will cross my fingers and say a prayer for you that all goes well. I have had my band for 3 yrs, and have had to get some fluid out due to heart burn issues, but never had to get the GI.  Anyway, keep me posted and GOOD LUCK
CDJ
on 9/16/11 12:20 pm
Yes the bands do come in different sizes.  I remember when I had mine Dr. C said that he had put a smaller one in.  I have lost 112 pds....I lost about 50 the first year - then 30 - then 20 - then 12.  Thanks for your good thoughts a nd prayer.  I will find out on Monday if he can get more out - or if they get a better pic.  Yah - I'm not good on that metric thing either.
kathkeb
on 9/16/11 1:01 pm
The term 'band slip' really does not describe what is happening.

Basically, the band has not moved, but your stomach lining has 'migrated' up --- many times, removing some fluid and allowing your body to 'rest' helps to alleviate the problem.

Please don't use this time to 'take a break from bandster eating' --- continue to eat small (smaller even than usual) meals, even if you have to eat more frequently.

You need to let your body heal and try to reduce any inflammation you have there.

Personally, I would try to take at least 6 weeks with the fluid out (and perhaps on a good acid reducer) to see how things work out.

I was diagnosed with ulcers and 'silent reflux' the last week of July -- and have had a tiny bit of fluid out of my band, and been on Dexilant for about 6 weeks -- and finally this week I can tell that the reflux/stomach pain is much less than it had been.

It can take a few weeks for things to settle down ---- hang in there!!!!
Kath

CDJ
on 9/16/11 1:30 pm
Thanks Kath.  That is how Dr C explained it to me>  I think he wanted to get more fluid out of the band but could not.
  I really have not had stomach pain - but the reflux and the acid at night have been uncomfortable.  I guess he kind of scared me when he said that we needed to find out if this is really what is going on or not.  He is very careful and the "Top Doc" four years in a row for bariatric surgery in Seattle.  There was no blood in the fluid he got out - so it is not eroded...and that is exactly what he said - he was hoping that it was inflamed and that it possibly would slip back down into place.  HOPE!  HOPE!  HOPE!

I am no longer in that place I used to be - where I would just eat to eat and get satisfaction out of it.  I love it that I no longer clean my plate - even if it is a small portion....and many "treats" and sweets" are thrown out of my house because I no longer have the psyche that I know they are there so I eat them.  I told my hubby that I was going back to the way I ate when I first came home from the surgery....not drinking with my meal, etc....and tiny bits.  I will ask him about the Dexilant on Monday.  My mom had it prescribed for her and it has helped her immensely....(no surgery...just A - reflux).  I havn't had much success with the over the counter types.

It sounds like we have very similiar things going on.  Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.
CJ
CDJ
on 9/19/11 11:45 am
I went back for the  f/u Upper GI today and got very good news.  The band had slipped slightly - it was turned perpendicular to it's previous position.... Today, it is back in the normal position and no stomach migration.  The acid Reflux and other symptoms have been gone since Friday night.  It is so nice to be able to sleep normal again for the last two nights.  I'm so glad I went in to see him.  He didn't refill - saying he wanted to take a more cautious approach and see how things go for 2 weeks.  Thanks for your good wishes and information.  I am still being careful.  I don't want it to get angry and turn on me again!  Ha!  CJ
Most Active