Lose weight and get taller?

BluestCat
on 10/20/11 6:37 am

Rainy PA greetings everyone. I was banded on 12/01/10 and I weighed 262lbs, wore a tight size 24w and was 5' 5.5" tall. Now I am 162lbs, wear a size 8 and am 5' 7" tall.

Has anyone else gotten taller with weight loss? I am guessing that it is because my poor body isn't fighting gravity with those extra 100lbs and can stand up taller. 

Have a great day,
Kim

grannymedic1
on 10/20/11 6:46 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
That would be my guess, too. I know that many of us have to adjust our posture, gait, etc. as we lose weight and I tend to stand more erect rather than tilted back, so it stands to reason. I was so heavy out front that I had a definite tilt to me before I had surgery. I remember being really clumsy for a few months because of the adjustments. Having pride in my body has helped, too.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Jordiesmama69
on 10/20/11 10:13 pm - Roscoe, IL
I actually have shrunk 2 inches! I wondered if it was fat lost off my head or bottom of my feet LOL I was always marked 5"10 since 6th grade and now they chart me as 5'8".
Bette B.
on 10/20/11 10:56 pm
It COULD just be that you're "taking ownership" of the space you're in.

A lot of MO people (and even run-of-the-mill overweight people) tend to want to blend in, and that can mean something as simple as not standing up straight. Extra weight and the pull of gravity are no great friends, either. But I think that a lot of us, as we lose weight and gain pride, stand up and want to be seen again. I know *I* did.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Jean M.
on 10/21/11 12:15 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I'm 1/2" taller. I think it's because my posture and self-esteem are better. I'm not slouching down trying (and failing) to be invisible. But I asked my chiropractor about this and he said (if I'm remembering correctly) that most people are taller when they first get up after sleeping (for many of us, that's in the morning) than they are after they've been upright all day. Something about gravity and the spine?

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Kate -True Brit
on 10/21/11 3:25 am - UK
I'm just under an inch taller! Think I stand better because I feel good these days.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

BluestCat
on 10/21/11 5:35 am, edited 10/21/11 5:35 am
It was somewhere between 220 and 200lbs that I was making a conscious effort to suck in my stomach, but maybe now I am just standing taller without having to make that conscious effort. And perhaps the yoga that I have been doing since 01/11 has helped me to lengthen and loosen my back as well.

Whatever it is, I am liking it! I can't wait until I lose these last 32lbs and can put on a pair of skinny jeans with 4" high heels. Look out world here I come ....

Happy Friday Everyone!
Kim

Donnamarie
on 10/21/11 8:34 am - NY
Congrats on the weight loss!  I used to think I was 5'8" at one point in my life.  Now I'm 5'6 1/4.  My doctor insists I was never 5'8".  LOL  So here's to hoping I find that 1 3/4 inches I lost!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

Most Active