Revision?

Kirsty1314
on 11/2/11 11:24 pm - Bayville, NY
 Revision? What does it involve? Will my insurance cover it? Am I just being lazy and giving up?! I've been struggling the last few months and dunno what to do! 
(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 11:29 pm
find out if your insurance covers revision surgery first & it's requirements (if any) to do so.

have a candid conversation w/your surgeon about 'why' you want a revision - is it necessary - what do you want to revise to.
you may even want to seek a second opinion.

as to being lazy & giving up / struggling - only you and your surgeon could speak through to that.

good luck.

NanaB.
on 11/2/11 11:43 pm
Many people think the grass is always "greener" on the other side. Your question is not clear, most insurances will cover a revision as long as it is medically necessary and you are having some type of complication that is threatening your life.

I am not trying to be smart but...They don't consider sitting on the couch, eating a whole bag of cookies and ice cream "medically necessary" and never exercising. There is NO free ride with any weight loss surgery, they are ALL TOOLS, they just work differently.  The good thing about the band is if we don't like it, we always have that option to get it removed or revised to something else, once you revised to a more permanent surgery that alters your body, you will no longer have that freedom if something goes wrong. Some malabsorptive surgeries will give you a boost in weight loss but they come with many unpleasant side effects that you may not be willing to deal with and NO surgery will keep the weight off long term unless you watch your diet and exercise -- NONE..

Losing weight with the band can be tough, it does not make you sick or have unpleasant side effects like other invasive surgeries if you eat sweets or carbs, in fact they go down very smooth and comforting.

You did not provide enough information, if you are struggling what do you mean? Do you have restriction, if not,  work with your surgeon to help find your sweet spot, if you are too tight and can't eat solid food, you need to get a small amount removed and go back to basics of drinking protein shakes and lean proteins to help you stay full, get enough water and exercise, and maybe work with a nutritionist that understands the band diet and exercise, start slowly and work your way up.

good luck.
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Cheryl N.
on 11/3/11 12:09 am - Des Moines, WA
Are you having complications with the band?  Just because you aren't losing weight with the band doesn't mean you have to revise. 

I started having complications about 9 months later after being banded, too many random tightness, especially around the time of month, constant regurgation, unfills, I just couldn't live like this anymore so I revised to bypass 3 months ago and I'm very happy.  It just feels so good to eat without regurgating. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Cheryl N.
on 11/3/11 12:11 am - Des Moines, WA
Also the revision surgery is a lot harder than the virgin surgery, recovery is harder, and the weight loss is usually slower the 2nd time around.  Just so you know.  I also have food aversion after my bypass surgery. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Lisa O.
on 11/3/11 2:24 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Hijack~

Hi Cheryl!
I haven't heard an update from you for a while.  What do you mean by a food adversion?  How is the WL since you had your revision?  It seems like you've been happy with your choice but I'm curious about the differences between both surgeries now that you've experienced both.

Let me know how you're doing.  I think about you often.
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Cheryl N.
on 11/3/11 4:20 am - Des Moines, WA
Hi lisa!  I'm doing pretty good.  I have lost 30+ lbs since revision, although a bit slower but I'm happy. 

Food aversion, since my bypass, i can't stand the smell, taste of food.  Your taste really changes big time.    Food i loved pre-bypass, I don't like them.  It is getting better now, though with time.  I was on the cruise in September and I was 1.5 months out, and the food sucked for most part because they just didn't taste as good.  My stomach also cringed at the sight of heaping plates of food that people get from buffet, HUGE portions, etc... at dinner time while waiting for table, the smell of food and the boat moving made it bad.... a friend gave me pressure braclets to help the nasueous feelings. 

With lapband you didn't have food aversion.  With bypass, you are sensitive to smell of food, sight of food, you just want to throw up! LOL   I did have some sweets, and my body reacted to it, hot flashes, etc.  Dumping is not worth it. 

I haven't regurgated any food since bypass and am loving it.  I get full much quicker now. 
So I'm happy with the decision.  Although the first couple weeks, I was thinking WTF did I do ???? LOL   Recovery was much harder.

Jean M.
on 11/3/11 5:43 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Cheryl,

A friend of mine who had RNY a year before my band surgery (who inspired me to have WLS) says her food aversion was powerful for the first few months. If she smelled someone's lunch in a room halfway across the building, she'd have to leave the building. Eventually it got better, though.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Cheryl N.
on 11/3/11 6:39 am - Des Moines, WA
On November 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, Jean M. wrote:
Cheryl,

A friend of mine who had RNY a year before my band surgery (who inspired me to have WLS) says her food aversion was powerful for the first few months. If she smelled someone's lunch in a room halfway across the building, she'd have to leave the building. Eventually it got better, though.

Jean
Yep.  I have also been doing quite a bit of mystery shopping, collecting prices from grocery stores, anyway ... after a while, just looking at food for prices, I get quite nauseous, especially seafood!

Cheryl N.
on 11/3/11 4:24 am - Des Moines, WA
Also, not hungry anymore, and sometimes I go too long without eating which I know it's bad but just am not hungry. 

Most Active