You should try diet/exercise

goals2behad
on 11/4/11 7:48 am
 I went to the Lap Band seminar last night. It went well. It is the 2nd time I have went.Talked to his nurse on the phone for about an hour.That really helped answer so questions I had. We did talk about if you have to go to the hospital for an ER not even band related sometimes it is hard to get care unless there is a bariatric surgeon. This freaks me out. She said if I was in say Seattle it wouldn't be a problem...ummm not in Seattle. Has anybody ran into this and what are your thoughts?

Appointment with the surgeon next Friday. Ya! Appointment for pshyc evaluation Tuesday. I am shooting for a surgery date end of December. I have United Healthcare with BNSF railroad. They tell me it is fast and easy. They currently have openings...we will see.  Not going to bank on it. : )

Met with a primary care physician today and it went well. The nurse at the PCP office told me about her sister who had the surgery. Has done very well. Lost a lot of weight, works out , happy but slimes ALL the time...This freaks me out. She and the Dr both in a very polite way said maybe I should try normal diet/exercise... I have. I am on the lighter side almost 40 BMI. I do feel like people look at me and say try a little more because I am not morbid. What I know is I am always dieting to keep myself as low as I can. Who likes to be big with sore back, knees and feet.
I know there are people who feel the band didn't work at all for them and I can appreciate that information.Those of you who feel it is working are there things that you would want a newbie to know...that's not all beautiful moments??
I do love to hear the beautiful moments. LOL.
I guess this ended up being a little long winded and random thoughts!!! Thanks so much for listening!
dansan20002
on 11/4/11 10:08 am
I  am glad you have decided to go ahead and do it!  I got mine done on sept 29.. and it has been great so far.  I get my first fill on monday and I am so excited!   I too am not real heavy which is why I struggled the last two years on getting it..   I finally broke down and realized it is something that I need just as muh as anyone else!  my advice is to keep positive..  You will hear a lot of horror stories but remember everyone is different and this is a CHANCE of a lifetime!

goals2behad
on 11/4/11 12:03 pm
I am so glad your doing well!!! It is great to hear good news. You will have to keep me posted on the fill appointment. I am excited to know how it goes. I would love to hear your positive posts about your appointments so, send them my way!!
Today when I was at my POP office they almost made me feel bad for even considering the surgery because I am a not over 40 bmi. I agree with you. I deserve this as much as anyone.I have struggled with my weight for at least 16 years. Always dieting, work out plans etc...  I have in my mind decided to do this...I now I have to wait on insurance. I haven't committed fully in my heart because of that reason. I do agree. It is the chance of the lifetime. I am VERY positive I just every now and then panick . I think I may do that until the moment I go in.  I am looking forward to having the band help me! Thanks for the encouragment.
Hislady
on 11/4/11 11:19 am - Vancouver, WA
I will start by saying I hate my band, but will try to answer some of your questions. I've been to the ER several times with non band related issues and always had prompt and good treatment so unless you have a crappy hospital they should deal with anything that isn't directly related to your band.
If someone is sliming with everything they eat they are too tight or taking too big bites or not chewing enough. Having the band doesn't meant you should be miserable. If you are dedicated to dieting and exercise then you could do well with the band but believe me you still have to do both, the band merely helps make it a little easier altho I was always hungry, the band did nothing for my appetite and I could never get a good restriction level. I was always either too loose or too tight, this is a common problem for many. If you are willing to work hard you may be successful. I do wish you luck!
goals2behad
on 11/4/11 12:13 pm
 Thank you for posting. That is relief in my heart. We actually have a great hospital...at the experiences I have Had in the past. I kind of felt the nurse was trying to scare me away from the surgery.  Your information about the sliming is what I have been reading. I guess maybe because it was coming from a nurse it did scare me .
I am sorry you are not happy with your band. I hope you are feeling well now...I am hoping the band will help me be more accountable for what I eat. I feel like I am very willing to work hard. I am looking forward to the day I can work out and eat foods good for me knowing I will see change in my health and body. Not be on some crazy fad diet, pills etc... You mentioned being hungry all the time. This was brought up in the seminar last night a couple of times. I do have to say I didn't hear a straight answer. The gentleman who told his story said he still feels hungry but in different way. He also mentioned that he still very much struggles with his mind. I can see it.
I really appreciate your perspective. Thank you!!!!!
Valerie12
on 11/5/11 6:29 am
 Hi 

I just wanted to share with you my story.  I got the band in April 15, 2011.  So far I have only lost 15 pounds and now I have already gained back 5.  For me it has been and awful experience.  I can't wait to have it removed.  I really didn't have that much to lose I started out at 178 and now I'm 168.  I'm 5'6.  I would try something else it is way to touchy and high maintence.  I had no ideal it required so many fills and you will never be  able to eat meat again or bread or pizza.  You'll have to purre everything and have soup all the time and protein shakes.  I can't even eat salad.  It is very discouraging when you arent losing weight and making all the changing in diet and working out as well five times a week.  Really think about try focusing on your diet go to a nuturtionalist and I recommend trying the lap band diet see how it is living on liquids.  I wish I would have never gotten this and just had a tummy tuck and lipo.  

Best of luck to you 

Thundergrrrl
on 11/5/11 7:56 am
Sorry to hear about your experience but my gut reaction is WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING? Getting the band with a starting weight of 178 at 5'6"? I am 5'7" and 180 is my goal where I've been maintaining for a year since getting banded. I have to question the motives of a surgeon who would recommend the band for someone of that height and weight.

And despite your personal issues, it is not true, nor is it fair to tell someone that they will never be able to eat meat and pizza or bread again or have to eat only puree or protein shakes. I have been banded nearly 2 years and from the start could eat anything I wanted. For some people there are trouble foods that are more likely to get stuck but I've never heard anyone else say something as silly as "you'll never be able to eat meat again or bread or pizza. You'll have to puree everything..." as you have said. If anyone is reading this and that's true for them, there is something VERY WRONG with your band. Run, don't walk, to the doctor cause it's not supposed to work like that.

Last red flag... if a tummy tuck and lipo were an option for you to get to your goal weight and you chose to have the band instead...wtf?? I just had a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin left from losing 95lbs. Believe me, if the 6 lbs they removed in skin and fat would have put me even close to a normal or slightly overweight BMI, I wouldn't have bothered with the band either.

Sheesh!

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Valerie12
on 11/5/11 8:41 am, edited 11/5/11 9:14 am
 Thank you for your response as far as my personal issues with the lap band I decided to go forward with a band due to fact I was on my way of getting out of control with my weight.  Twenty pounds turns into forty real fast.  I thought this would be a great way to keep it under control.  Many people in my family have had Lap Bands and have been successful with it and they seem to like it.  I take offense to your comment of telling me that it is not true that you can never eat bread or pizza again.  It is true and it isn't on any Lap Band diet they make that very clear.  I can't believe you are able to eat bread or pasta or any type of food like that.  If I try to eat any of those kinds of foods I'm throwing it up quickly and not feeling good after wards.  I mention lipo and tummy tuck for the cosmetic appearance of it not for weight control.  I'm disappointed with the money I have spend on the Lap Band and wished I would have just went ahead with lipo or tummy tuck.  

This forum is about helping others make right choices that is best for them.  Sorry you do not agree with my opinion, but it is true my story and a fact you can not eat the same ever again.  Some people have different experiences just cause I don't like the Lap Band hopefully I'm informing someone out there to really think  carefully before getting this it isn't for everyone.  

Thundergrrrl
on 11/5/11 9:47 am
"It is true and it isn't on any Lap Band diet they make that very clear"

They told you before getting lap band that you'd never be able to eat meat again? 

Funny, cause they told me my diet would consist mostly of solid protein like lean beef, chicken and fish.

They told you you'd never be able to eat bread again?

Funny cause they told me my diet would consist of whole grain pasta and breads, secondary to my lean protein and vegetables.

They told you you'd never be able to eat pizza again? 

Funny cause they told me I'd be able to eat any food I wanted as long as I kept my overall calories down and saved high fat foods for special occassions.

I can't say what they did or didn't tell you but I can say that "never again eating" meat, bread, or pizza is nowhere in any of the pre-op or post-op instructions I've seen. It's by no means a normal outcome for the band.

And PS - if you got banded to try to keep your weight from spiraling upwards out of control and you've lost 10lbs, how exactly did it not work?  If you maintain 178 for the rest of your life with your band instead of gaining 40+ lbs, isn't that kind of what you got it for? 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Valerie12
on 11/5/11 4:04 pm
Yes the diet I have followed you can not eat meat.  It has to be very moist and soft like baby food.  I have try eating chicken and I always throw it up.  I can eat sushi but I'm very careful with that as well.  Bread doesn't go down either.  I just avoid those foods as much as possible I've had bad experiences with them.  It did say on my list of foods that you should avoid bread, rice and pasta. Meat I have to careful with as well.  
I personally think risking my life to lose ten pounds isnt worth it.  I regret getting the lap band it hasn't made my quality of life any better.  I thought it would be a great tool to help a person lose weight.  For me it has made me frustrated and depressed and not worth the agony of the surgery.  

Im glad to hear it works for some people however it is good to hear both sides.  I will continue to share my point of view with friends strangers anyone who wants a different point of view.  It isn't the answer for everyone.  Most people are getting the gastric sleeve now Lap Band is old news to many people are having complications with it.   

Most Active