I'm back - 3.5 years post-op!

Celeste H.
on 11/16/11 3:49 am, edited 11/16/11 4:18 am - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14
Hello everyone, after about 2 years!! If any of you remember me, I had lost over 150 pounds with my LapBand in 16 months, then I had a very unlucky and very dangerous band slip in July 2009. It resolved itself sans surgery, but when all the saline was removed, I regained about 75 of the 150+ pounds I had lost. I've since lost about 35 of that, and have 40 more to go to be at MY goal weight, which is the lowest weight I was post-operatively. Right now, I'm at my surgeon's surgery goal weight for me, so I guess I've at least succeeded again to some extent.

I haven't been the best role model over the past couple of years, tending to let my band do the work without much effort from me. Exercise has been virtually nonexistent, my good eating patterns had snuck away, and I just wasn't as into my band as I was when I first had it or after losing 150 pounds. Of course I am happy that I've lost 35 of the weight I gained post-slip, but I want the rest of it gone again!

Now I've decided to get back on here, get back into exercise, and begin eating much better on a regular basis. I want to wear those size 6s that are in my closet from two years ago again, and I want to work up to running a 5K each month.

So, you'll be seeing more of me around here now!!! 

Celeste in Austin, TX  - Licensed Professional Counselor - Clinical Supervisor 
LapBanded February 18, 2008; 3 slips and nearly a death later, had band removal then a revision to VSG on May 12, 2014; best decision ever!!!        

melly37
on 11/16/11 5:23 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Welcome back, Celeste!!

I did much of the same thing when I had my band slip that required surgery to fix.  I had lost about 105 lbs and very close to my goal.  I regained about 45 pounds.  I have recently lost 25 lof that.......so another 20 to go, to get to my lowest again. 

It is VERY hard to recapture that magic and intense discipline we have in the beginning.....but we just create a new found respect for our tool and mainly ourselves, 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Celeste H.
on 11/16/11 6:07 am - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14
Melly, hi!!! So good to reconnect with you! I think I remember that I knew you had a complication....but I just got soooo disheartened after my slip that I basically gave up and never came back on here.

We can do it, though!! I remember how excited we were for such a long time....let's get back there!!! 

LapBanded February 18, 2008; 3 slips and nearly a death later, had band removal then a revision to VSG on May 12, 2014; best decision ever!!!        

Jean M.
on 11/17/11 12:10 am
Revision on 08/16/12
It's great to see you again, though I'm sorry that problems & weight regain are what brought you back.As Mellie said, it's very hard to recapture the dedication and enthusiasm that blessed us at the very start of our journeys, but with some work (and you already know what you need to do), your band will give you a second chance. I had a band slip cured by a complete unfill and had just started getting re-filled again when I learned that my port had flipped. So I lived with not enough fill and lots of stress for months, and regained 25 lbs. But once I got my port repositioned and had a good fill level, I lost the 25 lbs. plus another 5. Through all of this, I've gained a much greater appreciation for my band and respect for my body.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Celeste H.
on 11/17/11 3:22 am - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14
Jean!!! You look FABULOUS in that picture! I honestly had to do a second look. And I'm glad that you're on track again too. It is so discouraging but I feel good about my goals now and it is amazing how much protein shakes help! LOL I had forgotten that!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! I'm sure you'll be cooking some amazing but healthy foods, won't you????

Jean M.
on 11/18/11 2:26 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks, Celeste. I'd like to cook something amazing & healthy for Thanksgiving, but I work at JC Penney now and I have to be at work at 4:00 am on Black Friday, so I'm not sure if I'll have all the time I need to make a feast before it's time to go to bed on Thursday!

I hope your recommitment to your band goes as well as mine did. It took a lot of effort to get my engine going, but once I did that and started to see results, I was one very happy bandster again.

Jean

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

BuckeyeGirl
on 11/18/11 3:59 am - TN
oh my goodness...best of luck to you when you are in the heart of the Black Friday craziness!!

Jean M.
on 11/18/11 9:03 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
The first few hours of Black Friday can be a fun kind of crazy....until we start running out of the doorbuster items and shoppers start getting cranky...

Louise U.
on 11/17/11 4:59 am - Roseburg, OR
Funny how we both jump back on the 'Band' wagon at the same time :)

I have to wait until January to get a fill ...dang finances. But will in the next 2 months practice better eating habits and start exercising again, so that when I get my fill I will be ready to succeed again.

Jean, so glad to see you again. You were so motivational when I was on here before. And you are actually what lead me back. I was checking out Amazon for new books on lapband recipes and what not, and saw your book. I thought I recognized that name and sure enough I traced it back to the OH page.

Jean M.
on 11/18/11 2:28 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Welcome back to you, too! In addition to my 2 Bandwagon books, I also publish a free e-newsletter, Bandwagon on the Road. If you'd like to subscribe, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Spending the next 2 months getting back into good eating and exercise habits is a good plan. Getting a fill right in the middle of crazy eating would be like running into a brick wall!

Jean

Most Active