Band has slipped-what to do?

Sally L.
on 11/29/11 8:05 am

I had the band in 2007, lost 110 pounds, and over the last two years have slowly gained back 35 pounds.  I had a stuck episode in 2009, so they removed all the fluid from my band.  I had to start over with fills, and the fill person at the docs office was new, and very conservative.  She would not give me very much at a time.  My band has never really worked right since the unfill, but I have never gotten back up to the level at which I had success before.  When she would look at my pouch under flouro, the barium would pool in the bottom of my pouch and it took a while to wa**** out.  She was convinced that filling it more would cause me to prolapse or the band to slip, and she may have been right, because now I do have a slip.

I am not having any vomitting or trouble, just not losing weight.  They said I don't have to get the band out, but they can't fill it anymore.  They said some people eat less just from having the band, even if it is not filled. 

So it is decision time.  If they take out the band, they said they can put another one on immediately, so my insurance would pay for that..  If they take it out and I opt for a revision, I have to be unbanded for 3-6 months before they can do a revision.  Insurance may or may not pay for a revision.  I would have to go through the qualitying process again. 

Reading on here, it looks like having the band again may not be a good option.  There is no guarantee that it won't slip again, although I was really successful with my band up until the point where I had the stuck episode.  I just don't know which way to turn.  Any thoughts?

SALLY - banded May 9, 2007 Check out my new fun fall photos!

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 8:48 am
i had similar experience.  after slip #1, i waited a while after my unfill to get a baby fraction of a fill, that lasted till i slipped again.   a LONG story short, i stayed unfilled for over a yr thinking i can do this all alone w/out help of a fill - the band alone can do the trick.

it then becomes diet & exercise only...i was fine with that.   but i was diagnosed with fibro over the summer & i had 4 drs' tell me it had to come out.   by then i had gained 17lbs -- was not waiting any longer or gain much else.    i'm very short 4'11 - so 17 might as well be 50 on my size.

i revised 5wks ago tomorrow (sleeve) - i've lost it all, down 32lbs.....

personally - i wouldn't invest any time in another band, but that would be your call.   you should hit the revision/other forum sites for those who have revised to other surgeries.   i'd also contact your insurance & find out exactly what they will / will not cover.

Sally L.
on 11/29/11 11:16 am
Thank you for sharing your story with me.  I have read a little on here and it seems that the Lap Band is not doing many people much good on second attempts.  My big fear is that if it could slip once, it could surely slip again.  I am sorry about your diagnosis.  I wish you well with managing that, and I wish you continued success with the sleeve.

Greg M.
on 11/29/11 12:28 pm - Cincinnati, OH
My second slip happened very soon after the first slip was repaired/repositioned.  The surgeon said that all the tissue surrounding the band site was like soft cheese and there was nothing left to sew to.  He had no choice but to remove it.  My second slip was extremely painful.  I had to call 911 and go to the hospital via ambulance.  That was a very difficult call for me to make.  The band twisted my stomach and kinked it off so that nothing went down.  I spent the entire weekend in the hospital on IV's and IV pain meds waiting for Monday when the surgeon could squeeze me in to remove the band.  I wish you luck and a good outcome with your decision

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Nic M
on 11/29/11 12:55 pm
Greg, that's what happened to me, too. SO painful! I feel for you. My stomach twisted into a Figure 8 and kinked my intestines, so I know what you're talking about. I'm glad you're all good now.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Sally L.
on 12/1/11 6:48 am
N.M,

What do I have to do to join your group?  I tried to get on that site but I didn't see any posts or stories.  I tried to join it, but it said I would have to be approved first.  I would really love to see the stories of others who are in the same boat as me. 

Nic M
on 12/1/11 6:59 am
Hi Sally,

Sorry for the delay in approval. I haven't been online much the last couple of days, otherwise I would have added you sooner. You're in now.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Sally L.
on 12/1/11 7:03 am
Thank you, N.M!

Sally L.
on 12/1/11 6:42 am
Greg,

Thank you for taking the time to read about and comment on my situation.  I can't really describe the way I am feeling right now, but it is nice to have others that "get it" to discuss it with me. 

I am so sorry for what you and N.M. have been through.  It sounds like a second slip should be avoided at all costs (Like maybe not putting a second band in there to slip again.)  It sure doesn't sound like anything I want to experience. 

I had thought of revising to the sleeve, but I am a little leary of it because it is even newer than the lapband.  I am not certain if they know of any long-term effects from it yet.  I am by no means bashing your choice, but was just curious if you had some more info on it.  I haven't had time to research it thoroughly. 

I am feeling a little angry, I guess, because I went in to the surgeon wanting to have gastric bypass.  He talked me into the band because he said I was more active, younger, and healthier than most GBP patients.  He thought I would do well with the lapband, and of course, he told me I would keep the weight off better since it was "adjustable."  What he didn't mention is that you can't adjust it if it slips.  I do remember having the same concern for the lapband as I now have about the sleeve, but I thought my doctor knew best.  Yet there is still part of me that is grateful to have had the band.  I had never had anything work for me to this degree before.  I just want to make the wisest decision possible, but even then, I am not assured that the insurance will pay for a second surgery.  I had to fight tooth and nail to get the first one approved. 

I do wish you well, with your journey with the sleeve. 

Greg M.
on 12/1/11 7:19 pm - Cincinnati, OH
There are plenty of things that can go wrong with the sleeve too, so any surgery has it's risks.  If you go to the failed WSL board, there are many stories of leaks, strictures, severe acid reflux, swallowing problems and the like.  I think that some of these issues are due to differences in techniques...how big is the sleeve, how it's constructed around the bougie, what size of bougie is used and how tight does the surgeon pulls, are all factors.  Even more is the position away from the esophageal sphincter where the staple line starts, this apparently is a factor on reflux rates.  It can go on and on with technical details.  I believe that a big part of maximizing success and minimizing complications is for the patient to follow the rules.  There are many sleeve patients that eat mushy and regular food WAY TO EARLY.  They strain there delicate new sleeve before it has time to heal.  They drink too fast, gulp too much, try to take big pills whole and on and on.  I would suggest doing your research, finding a doctor that has a good reputation and that answers all your questions and following all of his instructions to a tee.  Good luck!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Most Active