something got stuck

stubs
on 12/12/11 3:33 am
Lap Band on 10/18/11 with
last nite i was eating chinese and sometihing got stuck omg i was sick for hours
any tips on what to do
Donnamarie
on 12/12/11 4:16 am - NY
Don't eat chinese?? :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well, until you figure out what in the chinese got stuck, I wouldn't go back to eating that again.  Ask yourself some questions.  Did you chew enough, were the pieces too big, was it something dry, did you eat too fast?

There are foods that I just stay away from, no doubt about it.  For me those are dry chicken and turkey, any kind of bread -- although I can tolerate whole grain crackers and yogurt sometimes gives me  a hard time, believe it or not.

I carry around Papaya Enzyme with me.  If I feel like something just isn't sliding down comfortably and it's make me a bit concerned, I will pop a few of those and wait.  Just today I ate some dark meat chicken that I think I ate too fast, and I took a few of the papaya enzymes and now everything is sitting pretty.

If you threw up I think the rule is to not eat anything solid for 24 hours, just stay on liquids or mushies.

Good luck, hope you are feeling better!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

stubs
on 12/12/11 4:25 am
thanks
i think you are right on all counts
eat to fast , didn't chew enough and it was dry
i tried papaya chewable pills but i think it was to late
stubs
on 12/12/11 4:27 am
thanks
i think you are right on all counts
eat to fast , didn't chew enough and it was dry
i tried papaya chewable pills but i think it was to late
stubs
on 12/12/11 4:30 am
by the way you are doing great you have lost so much weight since being banded in march
kathkeb
on 12/12/11 6:06 am
I usually just 'ride it out' ---- sometimes if I will take a few sips of water, it will make me vomit up the offending object -- but sometimes not - and I have to resign myself to the fact that the meal is over and that I may be in the bathroom for a while --- or spitting into a cup for a while.

Avoiding the situation, by taking very small bites (especially when I am eating with other people) and chewing very thoroughly is really the best bet.
Kath

stubs
on 12/13/11 3:14 am
how do you know what size bites to take
kathkeb
on 12/13/11 4:13 am
I was told to try for 'pea sized' bites.

I can cut 3 ounces of steak into about 32 bites.
I cut a Luna Bar into 32 bites

I break wheat thins in 1/2 or even into 1/4's and take a tiny bite of chicken or tuna or egg salad with each piece

I also try to completely swallow my food before I take the next bite.

Before my band, I inhaled my food ---- my mouth was not empty before the next bite was being shoveled in.

Now, I really work to make the bites tiny.
Especially when I go out to eat or eat with other people (I break tortillia chips into 5 or 6 bites each -- and plan to eat about 10 of them ---- and it seems like so much more food that way).
Kath

stubs
on 12/13/11 4:25 am
great tips
thank you i will try all tonite
stubs
on 12/13/11 4:27 am
On December 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM Pacific Time, kathkeb wrote:
I was told to try for 'pea sized' bites.

I can cut 3 ounces of steak into about 32 bites.
I cut a Luna Bar into 32 bites

I break wheat thins in 1/2 or even into 1/4's and take a tiny bite of chicken or tuna or egg salad with each piece

I also try to completely swallow my food before I take the next bite.

Before my band, I inhaled my food ---- my mouth was not empty before the next bite was being shoveled in.

Now, I really work to make the bites tiny.
Especially when I go out to eat or eat with other people (I break tortillia chips into 5 or 6 bites each -- and plan to eat about 10 of them ---- and it seems like so much more food that way).
i too use to inhale the food
you would of thought it was my last meal
Most Active