Does an episode of food being stuck lead to acid reflux?

patriceo
on 12/12/11 11:35 am
Hi everyone! Looooong time since I have posted, but I am now in Grad School and it takes a lot of my time!  I was wondering does after food being stuck in the chest does it lead to heartburn?  I have heard that after an episode the band tightens and I am assuming this is what has lead to the heartburn??? I have been having several episodes of food getting stuck (mainly my fault) but this last one (yesterday) was really bad! The food always manages to go down without me vomiting, but I haven't experienced heartburn like after being stuck! I am so worried that my band has slipped!  I am taking antacids but should I be extremely worried?
God give me the courage to change the things that I can

-Mari-
on 12/12/11 1:01 pm
IMHO, it does (heartburn after stuck). Usually if you have a stuck episode you should go easy for AT LEAST 24 hours, sticking to soft foods. If you continue to have heart burn, you may need a very small un-fill to give it "a break" for a couple of days (I've had to do this). If nothing else, call your Dr's office and ask them their advise. I doubt if it's a slip, but better be safe than sorry. I hope it gets better.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
A H.
on 12/12/11 1:20 pm, edited 12/12/11 1:20 pm
Revision on 02/09/12
Heartburn after stuck is pretty much a guarantee for me, unfortunately. Take some OTC stuff if you don't have any heart burn medicine and do liquids for a day...let your stomach calm down. Otherwise you might keep getting food stuck again and again with a swollen tummy. Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 9:48 pm
Hi, I've had some instances where food has gotten stuck and if it is just a "normal pb" I don't have any issues with hearburn. But there have been times where I've had stuff come back up very forcefully -- more like "real" vomiting and oh that caused awful acid reflux and I've had to have a small unfill which granted immediate relief.
Most Active