Not used to this sensation...need help

clarue
on 1/4/12 7:52 am - WA
Hi everyone

I had surgery four years ago, lost about 80 pounds. I was always someone who drank when eating because I had large tonsils / adenoids. I still did great with the band even without many fills.

Over the last year I gained about 30 pounds amd was pretty much eating whatever I wanted if I followed it with warm water, it went right down...and so I went and got a fill on Monday. Tuesday I was able to eat some, but last night I burped liquid probably all night. This morning I am really tight. Warm liquids go down and stay down, cold stay down but make my belly ache and uncomfortable. I have eaten some cashews (chewed till pulverized) but could only eat about 6 before feeling overly full.

Is this possibly just reaction to the fill? Are you supposed to do just liquids for a few days after a fill? It has been so long, and I was never really restricted...so I am unsure if what I am feeling is ok...

Is it possible there is just some swelling that will relax in a couple more days? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated....I feel like a newbie all over again! Ugh

Chris
patriotmom
on 1/4/12 8:17 am - Marion, AR
Chris,
It is possible that you have to much fill. Just a tweak of a tiny bit taken out can mean all the world in your ability to eat.
My suggestion would be to call your doctor in the morning and let them know what is going on. You should not have reflux (burping liquid).

Best wishes,
Trisha

God bless,Trisha & Jeff

A H.
on 1/4/12 10:37 am, edited 1/4/12 10:40 am
Revision on 02/09/12
Whenever I had an adjustment (fill or unfill) I was required to be on WARM liquids for 48 hours following the adjustment. Reason being, the adjustment agitates your tummy (especially a fill) and your tummy will swell a little. If you try to stuff food down there right after that, you will most likely get it stuck, which irritates it more, making it more difficult , and you have started a really crappy stuck/swelling cycle that would take 3-4 days on liquids for me to get through and have my stomach calm down.

Cold liquids usually cause spasms in the stomach which is why they say warm liquids. Cold also cause your stomach and stoma to restrict. 

Also after every fill because it's a "new" level of restriction it's wise to start out with mushies, then firmer foods, for a day or so to see how tight you are.

Try liquids for a few days. now that you are tighter do NOT drink except 1 hour after you eat or your'e going to be up chucking.

I also recommend while you are trying to let your tummy calm down to take some OTC stomach acid reducers (omeprazole) or something. It helps.. Your stomach sounds pissed right now.
Now, if you can't even get liquid down then you should go see your Dr. asap.

Hope that helps.
clarue
on 1/4/12 12:44 pm - WA
thanks so much for both replies....I agree that I made my belly pretty mad. Will probably try another day or two of liquids....as long as no more spitting up at night.

Thanks for your help!
Kate -True Brit
on 1/4/12 3:54 pm - UK

Certainly too tight now but it may just be a temporary post-fill reaction and settle down. n your place, I would give it a few days and then if no better, get a tiny unfill.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Shannon C.
on 1/5/12 4:48 am - Riverhead, NY
I had a fill a few months ago and was good for a few weeks, then all of a sudden I started getting the worst reflux that just kept getting worse and worse. After about 3 week (the last week I was almost unable to eat at all) I went and my dr. watched and almost nothing was passing through my band. She said I must have aggravated my stomach and it swelled so the band was now too tight and trying to eat ever day just kept aggravating it. She took some fluid out and I felt instant relief. I would say give it another day or two but if it doesn't get better call your dr. Good Luck!!
 Shannon 

clarue
on 1/5/12 5:28 am - WA
Thanks Shannon

I just put a call in and am waiting for return call. Today is better...but every minute I am aware of tightness and a bit uncomfortable. Also having alot of salivation. Liquids seem to be staying down ok though....so not sure why the sliming is happening. Ugh...this is hard sometimes

Thanks for the encouragement!

Chris
c_buck88
on 1/5/12 7:05 am
I have had this problem in the past a few times - matter of fact, just went through it recently.  Like a lot of the other posters have said, I would agree that you likely irritated your stoma when you ate something and it swelled / became irritated.  For me, it has happened sometimes just when I drink water (spasms if the water is too cold, got to be careful about that) or if I forget to chew.  And, once, it just happened for *no* reason I could figure out. 

Prognosis?  I have had to have unfills twice because of this, and then gradually refill over a few weeks.  The recent episode was milder, and a liquid diet for a few days allowed me to heal.  But, it sounds like with all the salivating, you are pretty swollen, and having been there, done that like so many others, you need to see your doc.  Even a small unfill will provide immediate relief.

Oh, and FWIW, I can *so* relate to your story. I lost 100 lbs over 3 1/2 years and made my goal, but last year gained back 25 because I didn't follow the rules any more. Drinking while eating is my biggest problem, too.  I have lost 5 of those since the week after Christmas by recommitting to exercise and  the "rules of the band."   Best of luck to you.
"It was a long way, but he knew where he was going."  Corey Ford, The Road to Tinkhamtown.

Most Active