Considering lab band surgery... lots of questions......

twoxover
on 1/7/12 9:53 pm - waterford, NJ
Here's the thing, i love to cook. and i still love to cook!  Jean's lapband cookbook has gotten me try things i never would have before (tofu for example) and the whole family likes it.  this is a VERY individual decision, but you must think long and hard about this, and research the heck out of it.  you'll need to eat a minimum of 60 grams of protein a day.  you WON'T be eating store bought white bread....it can wreak havoc.  you WON't be drinking any carbonated beverages.  Pureed foods are bad...there are lots of choices out there.  this fall i've learned to make home made soups....and yes, i am a good cook . 

the one thing the folks on this board have taught me, is to have patience, and research research research.  i dont regret this decision, and hope i never do. 
Betsey

Hopingforchange
on 1/7/12 11:57 pm
Yes, still in the research phase very much.  I don't eat white bread now.... and giving up soda will certainly decrease the food bill.  I don't drink that much of it.... but my son does.  Not sure I'll get him to completely give it up.  We actually don't buy alot of 'snack' type foods.  My daughter likes a certain snack food and my son does and so those are the two we can usually afford to buy.... and that's it.  Which I am fine with because I don't like having a bunch of snack type junk in the house.  So... that is good.  I just have a hard time when it comes to being able to afford all of the fresh stuff cause I hate the can veggies and frozen.... just too soggy and gross.  But guess I'm gonna have to get used to soggy stuff if I have wls... so yeah... i can see it totally changing my whole relationship/love for food... definitely.... thanks for the heads up on the recipe book... will have to check that out.  I have lots more research to do.... still not sure which option is best for me. but will be going to the surgeon soon... and a seminar so I'm sure I'll be finding out lots between now and then...
stephp77
on 1/7/12 11:07 am - Sioux Falls, SD
First let me say that no surgery is right for everyone. You need to make sure that whatever you choose, if any, you need to make sure that you fully understand what it takes to get the surgery (the pre-op stuff), the actual procedure, the immediate post-op, and the "life after sugery" time so to speak. Even if you have the same issues as person X that doesn't mean the same surgery person X choose will be right for you.

After researching ALL the kinds of surgery, you need to sit down with your family and any other supporters you have and make sure that they are on board with the decision as well. Of course your doctor will need to agree with you too. The reason I stated you need to discuss it with your family is that it will affect them too. Of course the actual surgery and recovery will affect them but also life afterwards. Even though you will have to change your diet (I personally was given lots of information on this from my surgeon) in the long run so will your family. Of course they can continue to eat whatever but trust me when I say that it sucks making yourself something separate to eat from what they do. No they don't need to eat everything you do but after however long your surgeon says you can eat regular food again it will need to be healthy foods (there are foods that are handled better with the band than others and that's what I mean with healthy). Let's face it many people can eat healthier. In my situation me seeing them eat the same old foods got me depressed. I wanted that hamburger. I wanted that pizza. I wanted that Blizzard from Diary Queen. I did try to make my family eat better/the same/similar things to me so that I didn't feel so bad. No I didn't make them be on a diet but did my now ex-husband need a GIANT steak covered in gravy? No probably not. When I was able to eat more, there was a lot of chicken, which obviously depending the way you cook it can be much healthier than a steak like he was eating.

Is this the right decision for you? I don't know. I do know that I have had some issues although (so far) nothing major. I also know that it is very expensive to keep seeing your doctor to get fills/unfills especially without insurance. I did make a post 2 days ago titled "Need to get back on track" with what my current situation is so I won't go into a lot of detail here.

I also read a LOT about weight loss surgeries before I did it. While I am certain I did see the statement before that the band does have the lowest chances of success compared to the others, I (and my surgeon) thought that the band was still the right choice for me. Looking back was it really? I haven't decided. I guess that decision will probably be made after I start seeing a new doctor (I just moved to another state and want to start seeing someone again) and whether or not the band is still in the right spot. For me the other surgical options were too much, too risky, too major, too much recovery time (I didn't have weeks to take off work for recovery).

Stephanie
Sioux Falls, SD

Height:  5'5.5"; Beginning weight 253
Educational seminar - 09/05/07; First consult - 09/17/07; Insurance rec'd submission - 10/01/07; Insurance approved - 10/05/07; Surgery - 11/21/07 (253 pounds of the morning of surgery); Mini goal met of down to 225 - 12/23/07.

A H.
on 1/7/12 1:43 pm
Revision on 02/09/12
And to the OP, if money is that tight then you REALLY do not want the band. Fills and follow up visits are expensive. Some insurance covers it some doesn't. The visits won't fortunately happen for the rest of your life, though, because at some point, 1, 2, 4 years down the road you'll have to have the band removed. That may or may not be covered by insurance. It is a terrible situation to be in to not be able to afford an unfill when your band is too tight and you're having trouble taking water down.
Hopingforchange
on 1/7/12 5:16 pm
Some very wise advice here.... thank you so much.  I am still researching.... I have only just begun... I will do lots more.  My dr is going to make an appt with a surgeon soon.... One he trusts... So I will know more then.  I will look at the other surgeries... I had only looked at them briefly as my primary goal was to get the lap band.  I have two friends who have done it... and love it.  Yes, they've told me of some of the issues... such as throwing up if you eat something that doesn't go well with the band or not chew it well enough... And having to get fills and things... I have a list of questions I will ask... and alot of it will be about whether insurance will cover these type of things.  So far I think my insurance will cover it and I pay a copay for the fills.  Not sure.... but I am sorry that so many of you have had problems with your band.... I know there could be problems if I go that route.  But I have heard so much more about ppl dying after getting gastric bypass that I am not really sure I want to go with something THAT risky.  But again the surgeon will help me to see what choice will be right for me.... and I will be doing lots of praying for guidance for sure... and do what I feel best about no matter what... thank you for the heads up and advice.  I pray all of you have great success!  And yes we are all in this together... and for the same reasons.... to have a healthier life ahead of us with those we love!  God bless you all to have just that! 
A H.
on 1/8/12 5:17 am
Revision on 02/09/12
I also would not do RNY. Another situation where there is tons of evidence out there and I can't believe people are still doing it. Some people do fine with it just as the band. Others do not.  Keep in mind there are 2 other types of surgery available (DS and VSG). Be aware of what kinds of surgeries this surgeon can do, because that's what he/she will try to sell you. It may or may not be the best choice for you, so you really need to come up with that answer yourself. 

Best of luck and you are doing the right thing by coming here and looking around. Lots of people, experiences and anecdotal evidence.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

c_cubed
on 1/8/12 10:36 pm
Considering any type of WLS is very personal.  I chose the lap band procedure for two reasons:

1)  I needed to lose less than 100 lbs

2) Portion control was my primary nemesis

Prior to WLS, I would occassionally induldge in "unhealthy" food/beverage choices, but in general,  I would eat decent square meals-- I just ate too much.  And the truth is, when it comes to eating, if you eat too much of anything, there will be consequences. 

Before WLS I cooked  90% of my family's meals and I did the shopping and I still do.  This is an important fact, because that leaves me in control.

Now, in all fairness and in full disclosure, I am still new to the lap band.  I'm going on my 3rd month.  I'm down about 30lbs.  I'm eating well.  I'm eating slowly.  I'm chewing throughly.  I take my vitamins and calcium as instructed.  I exercise.  And when I want a treat--I have a treat.  I'm losing weight because I'm being forced to respect portions.  For me, it's really that simple.

I have altered my food choices a bit.  For example, if I have a sweet tooth, I'll eat dried fruit or grapes, but once in a while, I may have a few cookies or a handful of kisses instead.  I gave up sweet tea for water (or flavored waters) and unsweetened tea.  I've completely given up soda's--even though I never really drank many prior to WLS. 

I've had two fills, totaling 5cc's.  Right now, the weight is coming off and I haven't experienced any problems.

Good luck with your decision and I wish you much happiness and success!!
Hopingforchange
on 1/9/12 1:27 am
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it... Those were the types of responses I was looking for... helpful, kind, informative.  I appreciate the information and you being very welcoming and kind.  I really was not greeted with a great welcome by a few posts on here. 

I'm still very much in the researching phase.... to the point that it is driving me and those around me crazy!  LOL!  But I appreciated your post very much!  And I'd like to know a sample of what your daily eating is like on each phase of the lap band diet.  And to know just in general more about the diet afterwards.... like the stuff you can have and not have, etc. 

That was all I was seeking was some help and information on the lap band surgery.  I'm just trying to get a feel for what things will be like after surgery and what to expect.  Instead I got quite a few responses that were like bashing the lap band and sort of bashing me for even considering it!  Wow!  I know my post was very, very, very long... but it is because there is so much on my mind, so many questions, concerns... this is really serious stuff... and I came to a place to get some help from others who have been in my situation... All that I have really gathered, information wise, from those that have responded, mostly is that I need to do more research... which trust me I will.... I am just that way by nature....It was so obvious that many ppl didn't truly read through my post at all.  I understand that though because it was long!  So, Thank you for taking the time to answer.  And thank you for your positive and courteous response.  Maybe I will end up starting a new thread and see if it gets better results... =)  So thankful for the few good responses that I did get though.  God Bless you and may you have much continued success! 

Happy Banding!!!  

c_cubed
on 1/9/12 4:15 am
I think most folks are well intentioned and want to disclose everything-- good and bad.  When I went into this, I was told to consider the band a TOOL.  Your band will let you know what you can and cannot tolerate .  

So here goes an example of my eating plan:

I get up around 6am.  In the AM my band is very tight and I simply cannot eat anything solid, so I have a cup or two of coffee (with sugar free vanilla creamer) and after about an hour after the coffee I drink an Ensure High Protein shake.

That usually takes me on into lunch; 11:30ish.  Lunch is usually anything I have leftover, but I will you that I make a pot of chili (with beans ) every week, so if I don't have leftovers, I will usually eat a bowl of chili.  Basic recipe...sometimes ground sirloin or sometimes ground turkey.  Whatever floats my boat for that week.  I like eating chili because its got lots of lean meat and beans (which are both great sources of protein) and it fills me up.  Also, its friendly on the budget.

As for supper.  I cook for my family.  Tonight, I'm making blue cheese and bacon burgers (lean sirloin) and twice baked potatoes on the side.  I won't get more than half the burger and 1/4 of the potato down.  But that will be more than enough!  I'll be satisfied!  I won't feel deprived. 

If I get a hankering for something sweet later this evening, I'll eat some prunes (I like them!  They're sweet and have substance) or grapes.  Heck, who knows, maybe I'll have a few cookies.  I bought some fudge grahams today!

Everything in moderation.  Will have to be conscious of eating slowly and chewing thoroughly. 

The only other thing besides the chili that I have recently discovered is there is a diner in my hometown that makes KILLER huervos rancheros (spelling?).  OMG they are soooo good!  Flour tortilla, smothered in black beans, eggs and ranchero sauce. Topped with the smallest amount of  melted cheese, fresh tomatoes and scallions!  I can eat about half of that and eat the other half for lunch the next day.  Other than the tortilla, its pretty healthy.  Packed full of protein.

I hope this helps! 

Hopingforchange
on 1/9/12 5:38 am
Yes, thank you for posting that.  So it does really restrict your portions then and you still feel satisfied.... pretty impressive.  Thanks again for the info! 
Most Active