I am happy and feel I dont need a fill is that OK?

Bellasarrah
on 1/17/12 3:51 am - NY
Someone asked me if I made my appointment to get the fill I missed last month and I told them no that I am not....and they were like why? I told them that I am happy the way I am that I dont feel I need a fill that I have to learn how to do this on my own. And with that they  were like there has to be a reason. I told them I feel like I may have lost weight I wont know till I weigh myself and I have to get a new battery for my scale which I will pick up tomorrow and shes like well the only scale that really works is the one in the doctors office. Granted this person has lost over 100 lbs so maybe she knows what shes talking about...but dont my feelings and thoughts mean anything in this journey? Its moments like this when people are like why are you doing this you are supposed to be doing that...so and so they are going to pass you in the numbers that I regret getting the band and this is the first time I've actually admitted that. To me this isnt a contest to see who gets to the weight loss line quickest this is my life and I admit that maybe there is something holding me back but let me go at the pace that I am comfortable with. I  didnt know that I was in the lapband race of my life. Am I wrong to feel like this? I think not because they are my feelings. Any advice helpful
MARIA F.
on 1/17/12 4:08 am - Athens, GA

Well I won't say that you are wrong, but I will say that it doesn't make any sense. You are not using the band b/c of some fear. You never mentioned anything about not wanting a fill b/c you have adequate restriction and are losing well. (For a very small minority of bandsters this has happened).

You have chosen to get the band. You now have the opportunity to try to assist it in working .......or do it all on your own just like you did before you had WLS. If the latter is your choice.....then there was no reason for you to even have the surgery.

I would suggest speaking with a councelor that specialized in  eating disorders and maybe you can get to the bottom of what is actually causing this fear.

From a personal aspect........some of us tried very hard to work with our bands and our bands failed. I just can't imagine having a band put in and not doing everything possible to work with it to try to facillitate a good band outcome. Althought I no longer believe in bands, and think they should be taken off the market........It makes me sad that since you already have yours in that you are not taking advantage of this opportunity to at least see if it will work for you.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Kate -True Brit
on 1/17/12 4:16 am - UK

This is YOUR journey. Do it the way YOU want. If you are happy, losing at a speed which suits you, ignore other people.

It's not a race, you are so right! Don't let others pressure you into a fill if you don't feel you need one!

I kept and still keep my band looser than most people. I just use it to help me, that is all I ever wanted from it. Some expect the band to do all the work for them; they may well prove to be the ones who fail long term.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

NanaB.
on 1/17/12 4:17 am
If you feel that you don't need a fill, then don't get one, but most people especially in their first year will require a few fills and unfills to be successful.

You are correct it is NOT a contest and if you feel like you are happy with the amount of saline in your band then you don't need to answer to anyone. Too much fill is not good anyway, it leads to all sorts of problems, if you can lose weight and maintain with the least amount that is the best way to go. Fills should not be automatic they should only be given when you are struggling and need help.
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

steelerfan1
on 1/17/12 5:06 am, edited 1/17/12 5:07 am
I  am one yr out a little over one yr out and have not had a fill yet.

I felt pressured last month to get one and I knew deep down I didn't need one. I was eating my meals and staying satisfied as long as three to six hrs at a time. Some days it was three hours and some days it was over six hours . 

I do have some concerns of getting a fill but it wouldn't stop me from getting one so when my one year testing came up I did the swallow test so he can see the band and I was at good restriction . My doc said if he would put a fill in me he would fear it would be to tight for me.  I told hubby that morning if the doc thinks I need a small one I would get one while he had me under the xray to see things . 

I have done quite well without a fill. I have lost a little over 70 pounds and over 40 inches now . 

You need to listen to your body not what anybody else says you need to do .  It would have been a big mistake for me to get one because of peer pressure and the xrays proved that I didn't need one .

Only you will know when the time is right , not the doc, , not your family members and especially people on here .  Do what you think is right  and you cant go wrong :o)

Wendybrum
on 1/17/12 5:07 am - Oceanside, NY
 your body, your band, your choice!!
wendy
Lisaizme
on 1/17/12 6:05 am - TX
 It IS totally up to you.  If you're satisfied with the rate of your loss and the way the band is working for you.. do not let anyone pressure you into a fill.

On the other hand, they're nothing to be afraid of... I didn't even feel the needle on my last one.

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Jean M.
on 1/17/12 7:25 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Save your fills for when you need them!

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Hislady
on 1/17/12 7:38 am - Vancouver, WA
Gotta agree with the other ladies this is your journey and yours alone! Do what you are comfortable with, right now mine is empty and I intend to keep it that way because it is working just as well empty as it did filled, in fact better because I can eat healthier food again. More problems are caused by tight bands than loose ones and some people only need a little restriction. Now if you start gaining or not losing for a long period you might want to consider a small fill, they are really very easy and painless. I think the ones who rush to quick weight loss are the ones who will in the end gain it back because they have never listened to their body and what feels right. If you can lose a pound a week I'd consider that just fine, go slow and adjust as you go, but it's your choice!
Thundergrrrl
on 1/18/12 2:41 am
"More problems are caused by tight bands than loose ones"

One hundred percent true! There is no reason to get a fill when you don't want one or think you need one. You can always get one later.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Most Active