Band slip

Rebecca73
on 1/25/12 2:03 pm - North Pole , AK
my band slipped due to 18 hours of vomiting from with stomach flu. I am going in for surgery in two weeks. My fingers are crossed he can just reposition it or replace it. if he has to remove it my insurance may not pay to go back in again to replace it. Is there anyone that has had to go back in because of a slip? what was done and how about the recovery? was it the same as having it put in?

thanks

mustangmama
on 1/25/12 9:05 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I had a bad slip of my band, but my surgeon simply deflated the band and had me follow up again in one month.  I freaked when he told me there was a 50/50 chance that I may need to have surgery to "reposition" it.

Fortunately, in my case, deflating the band worked.  The band repositioned itself without issue.  

I did hear somewhere that once you've had a slip, you're more prone to have another in the future.

Good luck...

Imalooser2
on 1/26/12 10:15 pm
How do you know when you have  a slipped band?
mustangmama
on 1/26/12 11:11 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
Usually you're unable to keep much liquid or food down due to PB'ing and vomiting.  In my particular situation, I got a tiny fill, but it was too tight for me.  I thought giving myself a little time to adjust to the fill would make it better, but it got worse.  When I finally couldn't keep anything down, I sought an unfill.  At that appointment, my doctor said I was completely shut-off (due to swelling from vomiting) and my band had slipped.  

Imalooser2
on 1/27/12 1:16 pm
Thank you for your response. I hope you are doing better now. I was banded it will be 6 years in feb. However, I have done so badly, but I am now back on track. The first year I lost 100 pounds, but I have since gained 24 of them back. So now I need to loose those 24 pounds I gained, then go on to try to loose another 200 "sigh" I should have had all of this off by now, but I'm trying not to beat myself up and just pick myself up and dust myself off and go foward.
If I remember right from your ticker, you only have 20 more pounds to go to goal right? Good job!!
Dev *.
on 1/25/12 11:37 pm - Austin, TX
I had a slip and was able to have my band repositioned and reattached. The surgery was easier the second time around, likely due to the fact that I was lighter. I did swell shut and had to stay overnight for steroids to bring the swelling down. I think it might be a little more traumatic and cause more swelling when they have to take it off and put it back on again. Plus I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time. No problems since then!
Make sure you get a prescription for zofran and keep it on hand in case you ever get a stomach bug again!

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

melly37
on 1/26/12 12:00 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I had surgery to reposition my slipped band.  The second surgery was much easier, like Dev explained, probably because I was much lighter at my second surgery.   My port was fine, so I dindn't have to deal with that pain again. 

My band has been in good working order since then. (almost two years ago)  My surgeon did take his time with fills to make sure I was  healed properly.  I just had a hard time getting the same mojo back that I possessed after my initial surgery. 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Jean M.
on 1/26/12 6:51 am
Revision on 08/16/12
When my band slipped, I had a complete unfill and 6-week rest period and since then I've been fine. If your surgeon has to replace your band instead of just reposition it (I can't imagine why, but it's not impossible), I should think he/she could do that as the same time as he/she removes the original one....unless there is too much scar tissue or some other damage.

Good luck!
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

MARIA F.
on 1/27/12 12:22 pm - Athens, GA

Slips are very common with the band. You might think about joining us on the failed band forum on FB. The link is below.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Rebecca73
on 1/27/12 2:22 pm - North Pole , AK
I will check it out but my band I dont believe failed me. 18 hours of vomiting and well my band didnt like that.

I love my band and fought to keep it in when in the ER. My surgeon is 7 hours away or 1 hour flight and I was not going to let the ER cute it out and my surgeon agreed. After he saw the UGI he said it looks like he can just fix it. I know without my band I would be fat and if I lose it now I will gain it all back even though I know what to eat and how. my band stops me from eating what I shouldnt and I need that.

Most Active