1st appointment in about 2.5 years

stephp77
on 1/25/12 1:24 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
Tomorrow morning will be my first appointment in about 2.5 years (due to insurance/financial reasons). I have since moved to a different state (from where I had my surgery). My few family doc referred me to the people who do lapbands here. I had an UGI last Friday (no clue how that turned out although the pictures looked fine to me). I see the doctor tomorrow morning. I am nervous about it. First I have gained all the weight back (compared to my initial surgery weight) and more although since moving to the new state I have lost 30+ pounds since October. I am about 10 pounds under my initial surgery weight now. I do blame a lot of it on not being able to see a doctor and getting fills but I do know that I haven't had the best diet nor have I excercised much. I do know that part is all on me. I am nervous about tomorrow. Will the band still be in place? Will these new people see me as a failure? If they do give me a fill tomorrow, how will I react to it? I haven't had one in 2.5 years. I am afraid that I won't really remember what all I should be doing/not doing after one. While I want a fill, I am kind of thinking I would be more comfortable making sure things are still good with the band as well as figuring out (ovbiously with their help) how to get back on track and THEN having a fill. I almost feel that if I get a fill I will be lost and have problems like getting things stuck since I haven't done this in years. I guess the best thing to do is discuss my fears before actually getting the fill. If they are willing to take the time and re-educate me first then I'll get it. If not, I'd rather get info and reschedule the actual fill. I guess I should re-word that. It isn't that I don't think they won't re-educate me but more that time wise I realistically can't expect them to be with me for an hour or whatever to figure it all out because seriously what doctor blocks out that much time with 1 patient??? Answer...none (or slim to none). Ok enough rambling for the night lol.

Stephanie
Sioux Falls, SD

Height:  5'5.5"; Beginning weight 253
Educational seminar - 09/05/07; First consult - 09/17/07; Insurance rec'd submission - 10/01/07; Insurance approved - 10/05/07; Surgery - 11/21/07 (253 pounds of the morning of surgery); Mini goal met of down to 225 - 12/23/07.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/25/12 3:54 pm - UK

Don't be scared! If you want that band to work for you, you are going to have to get fills. 

Why not ask us specific questions about the things that worry you! And I am sure your new doc will have information sheets he could give you.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

michele1
on 1/25/12 9:13 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Oh, they won't think it and your aren't a failure.......... a failure would be if you never went back or started over. I do know how you feel, I am going back today and hoping that they will give me a fill.......had to get unfilled but haven't had a fill in 1 1/2 years....so it is a little scary..Plus I gained about 15 since Nov. but will just have to suck it up and pull up my soon to be gone fat girl pants..... 

There are many of us having to get back on track.......just remember you are not alone, you are not a failure and you can do this!!!!! Positive thoughts, I'd wish you luck but you don't need it, you will rock them with your positive attitude and willingness to get back on track......we are going to take this one day at a time (that is what I am telling myself this time......rather than I will be ** in two months or a year I only have to stick to the plan for today)

Michele
Lisa O.
on 1/26/12 1:20 am - Snoqualmie, WA
You may have already seen your doctor, but here are the questions to ask to help determine if you need a fill. 

1.  Can you eat more than 1 cup of food at a sitting?
2.  Are you hungry between meals?
3.  Has your weight loss stalled?

Answer yes to 2 or more of these questions and you probably need a fill.  Don't delay getting back on track.  We can help you along the way.  The key thing is to make sure your band is in good position and then get it working for you. 

Congratulations on taking off the additional 30 lbs!  That's awesome and just shows you how strong you really are!

You can do this!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

debbie H.
on 1/27/12 3:41 am - AR
I went through "fill fear" too.  and when I gave in to it, my weight loss stopped.  There are a couple of things that have been told to me that helped.  Your doc and his office is in the business of dealing with people who have food issues.  They should not be judgemental, they should be helpful.  There is very little to nothing they haven't seen, heard of, or dealt with.  Expect the best from them.  If they fall short, there are always other docs.  Hope you have a great experience with them.

Most Active