FREAKING OUT! 10lb gain in 1 week after injury

Thundergrrrl
on 2/12/12 11:52 pm
I am hoping someone might be able to tell me WTF is up with this.

9 days ago I had a bad fall from my horse and hurt my back. Got it checked out and it's only nerve damage so in time it'll heal on it's own and I'll be fine. But the first few days I could barely walk and now, more than a week later, I'm still in too much constant pain to really exercise.  I have been watching what I eat and sticking to my normal diet for the most part. Yes, there have been a few bad meals here and there but nothing that would explain gaining 10 lbs in the past week. The other really strange part of it is that my clothes still fit fine and I look the same, so wherever this 10 lbs has gone, I don't see it.  My theory is that it's possibly water or other fluids due to internal swelling but is that even possible? 

Has anyone eles experienced something like this? I am freaking out because my eating hasn't been any different from typical and yes, I exercise a lot normally but I didn't think that taking it easy for a week would make that big of a difference.

Now, it's really hard to focus on eating well and doing a little exercise when I can cause I'm so upset over this strange gain.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

twoxover
on 2/13/12 12:57 am - waterford, NJ
what happened???  (in other words...what precip'd the fall???). 

it can very easily be water retention (btw...where are you in terms of "that time of the month") there is so many things that can be causing this--but i'm betting on water retention.  follow doctors orders----

betsey
Betsey

Thundergrrrl
on 2/13/12 1:01 am
We were out on a trail and he just flipped out. Decided to gallop and buck up a hill and run all the way back to the barn (about 2 miles.) He was nice enough not to destroy my tack along the way though, at least!

My T.O.M. just happened a couple of days ago so I'm right in the middle of that too. But I never gain any substantial weight during it. Just never imagined I could gain 10lbs from swelling or fluid retention and also, where are they? My clothes all still fit. Maybe my scale is just broken.

twoxover
on 2/13/12 1:04 am - waterford, NJ
you poor girl--please tell me you were wearing your helmet.....

maybe the scale got knocked around and off kilter?  just relax and heal, ok??? 
Betsey

Thundergrrrl
on 2/13/12 1:21 am
Yes, I was wearing a helmet. ALWAYS.  I have no idea what's with my scale but yeah, I'm trying to not worry about this stuff so much till I'm better but it's super frustrating.

michele1
on 2/13/12 4:58 am
Revision on 07/07/15
Check to see if water weight gain is a side effect of any medications they have you on if any......I am sure it is water weight...

Crazy how the scales can rule us.....I had a gain of 1 pound, did everything right for the entire week and just because it showed a gain I had a WTF moment and blue it for two days.........not bad but I certainly didn't count anything LOL......

Hope you get better soon!

Michele
Jo 1962
on 2/13/12 5:53 am - NearHouston, TX
So sorry for your fall!! The good news is yes..the internal swelling can be a cause for your weight gain.  You wouldhave to eat a whole lotta food to gain that many lbs that fast I think.  I had traumatic bone and tissue injuries to my legs about 10 years ago.  The tissue swelling didnt go down for months after the initial injuries.       Please don't worry and let yourself heal without worrying about any extra pounds right now.  You don't want to re-injure your back by tring to exercise too soon! HUGS!

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Thundergrrrl
on 2/13/12 6:01 am
Thanks so much. There is no other explanation for it but of course my still-fat brain has decided that this is it, the first 10lbs of my 90+ loss coming back all because I can't exercise like normal. I know that's not logical but arg, so frustrating. I've just never heard of this much weight gain from swelling and if I'm swollen it's all on the inside cause I don't see anything.

MissKasey
on 2/13/12 8:20 am - Bothell, WA
Hello!

Please don't worry...I was in a car accident two years ago and gained 10 pounds after having severely sprained several vertebrae from the neck to the middle of the back.

The muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories they explained to me to take with alot of water.  It could cause water retention.  Even before that I was already retaining water so I wasn't excited.

Relax and take care of yourself first.  The water will go away and so will the pounds :)

~Kasey
Miss Kasey
Day of surgery 292/Current 279/ Goal 180

Thundergrrrl
on 2/14/12 9:09 pm
Thanks (as I said below) I never heard anything like this before. I have barely taken the narcotics and muscle relaxers I was prescribed but I've been on heavy doses of advil for 12 days straight now. Woke up feeling great for the first time this AM so I think all pain meds are officially off my to-do list and I will start seeing a big difference as swelling keeps going down.

Most Active