Surgery March 15th

hideetee
on 2/28/12 10:23 pm - Fairbury, IL
Hi everyone.  I haven't been on for long time because I had given up on getting my insurance to approve any kind of surgery for me, but...

Woo! Hoo!  I finally got approved and I am getting the lapband on March 15th.  I start on my pre-surgical diet on Friday.

I just wanted to meet other people here who have been through it already. 
dream716
on 2/28/12 10:40 pm
Had my done 3 years ago and feel great. Lost 105 lbs and had my tummy done. I'm a New ME!!
Good Luck!!!
rebecca110
on 2/28/12 10:52 pm - Milledgeville, GA
Hi Congratulations on getting your approval.  It is getting harder to get and many insurance companies are dropping coverage.

I had my surgery Jan 4, 2011.  I have only lost about half of my weight due to my own lack of discipline in following the program..  My advice is to follow your doctors instructions very rigorously.  Measure your food, and eat only healthy nutrious food.  Make yourself a commitment to never eat  the foods that got you to this place such as chocolate, sweets, and snacks with no health value such as chips. At least wait until you have reached your goal and then be very careful.

I didn't find the first few weeks difficult at all.  I had some pain, but the liquid meds the doctor prescribed took care of it and I rested a lot between walking, sipping on my liquids etc.  The days go by quickly and the pounds will be falling off rapidly during this stage. It slows down once you add solids.

Ask the doctor for your prescriptions for pain meds in advance and get it filled.  It is sometimes hard to find a pharmacy that fills the liquid pain medications.  Usually the pharmacy at the hospital will have them.  I left town without doing that and we drove to several pharmacies before finding what I needed.  I needed a liquid nausea medication as well because I don't do well with pain medications.  The two together took care of the pain and the nausea.

Plan for what you will need the first two weeks after surgery and have them stocked at your home when you return.

After about six months, many of us seem to loose our focus and start eating chocolate, ice cream etc that goes down easy.  Commit to avoid that and you will continue to loose, otherwise, you will probably stop loosing.

Have a support person if possible. My husband really took care of me those first few weeks which was very nice.  Join a support group as soon as possible.

Good luck and remember you have to work the band to be successful.
giants21
on 2/29/12 2:18 am
Good luck- Rebecca110 is absolutely right!  I had my surgery about 5 months ago and it is amazing how easy desserts go down but some food doesnt.  You really need to listen to what your dr says and follow what they say.  Its exciting to see the pounds come off.  So far i am down 38 pounds and am just sooo excited- so the best of luck to you! You will be fine, any questions just ask :o)
SueBee01
on 2/29/12 2:47 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Congratulations! I am one month post op, tomorrow and am down 35 pounds since Christmas.

I have been on real food for two weeks now. No fill yet so it is easy to eat too much. And by that I mean two cups of food is too much as you will not lose as fast.

Do what they say and only eat when you are hungry, which was very hard for me because I didn't feel hungry until this week. Stop when you are satisfied. I now find myself eating half of what I think.

For example, one egg and one slice of turkey bacon will fill you! Surprise, surprise!

And, drink, drink, drink. My hardest problem is sipping so little at a time. I HATE IT, but learning...

As for pain, I had hietal hernia repair also and that was more painful then the band. Medicine for first two days, the only at night for a week to hel sleep. Piece of cake!

I was a desert freak and haven't had a sweet or cafeine in two months and am doing fine!

You can do it!
 Sue

(deactivated member)
on 2/29/12 3:14 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On February 29, 2012 at 6:23 AM Pacific Time, hideetee wrote:
Hi everyone.  I haven't been on for long time because I had given up on getting my insurance to approve any kind of surgery for me, but...

Woo! Hoo!  I finally got approved and I am getting the lapband on March 15th.  I start on my pre-surgical diet on Friday.

Why the band ?
hideetee
on 2/29/12 3:16 am - Fairbury, IL
hideetee
on 2/29/12 3:17 am - Fairbury, IL
On February 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM Pacific Time, Pumpkin X . wrote:

Why the band ?
It seems a lot less scary to me than Gastric Bypass.
(deactivated member)
on 2/29/12 4:28 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On February 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Pacific Time, hideetee wrote:

Why the band ?
I am begging you to click on the link in my siggy and do a bit more research about the band. I've had two bands and now have a sleeve. Sleeves used as a WLS tool are newer weight loss surgeries, but sleeve surgeries AKA partial or full gastrectomies have been done since the 1800's. MUCH longer the the Lap Band has been performed and without the forgein body. There is no way of knowing if your body will reject the band. It may reject it right away or it may take awhile for the symptoms of rejection to appear or in most cases, the acceptance of that rejection.

A gastrectomy is a partial or full surgical removal of the stomach.The first successful gastrectomy was performed by Theodor Billroth in 1881 for cancer of the stomach.

This is a small list of what my band gave and took from me. I am NOT " a rare event " There are several like me, and all you have to do is click on the link in my siggy and start reading about other OH members who were/still are being harmed by their bands.

1. I have lost & kept off roughly 76 lbs with my band since June 19Thnd I have lost weight more since being sleeved.

2. I now have permanent nerve damage from my band due to the bands close proximityimity to the vagus nerve..
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve

3. I am one of a growing list of post lap band surgery patients who are newly being diagnosed with post lap band fibromyalgia.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001463/

4. With all the acid reflux/GERD that I and many others have experienced post band. I/We are now at a greater risk for esophageal cancer, gastroparesis,esophageal dismotility,painful esophageal spasms and plenty more.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002128/

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001328/

5. I suffer from GAD www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001915/

6.The band did not give me back my life, it took it away and I exchanged one set of problems for another more serious and painful set of problems. If I could go back in time, I would never have chosen the lap band.

7. If you or anyone in your family have a history of any medical condition that requires NSAIDS, then do not get the band. Some sleeve surgeons say no to NSAIDS, and others say it's okay to take NSAIDS. Check this list for a complete list of meds that contain NSAIDS.
www.consumerreports.org/health/resources/pdf/best-buy-drugs/ Nsaids2.pdf

For what conditions are NSAIDs used?

NSAIDs are used primarily to treat inflammation, mild to moderate pain, and fever. Specific uses include the treatment of headaches, arthritis, sports injuries, and menstrual cramps. Ketorolac (Toradol) is only used for short-term treatment of moderately severe acute pain that otherwise would be treated with opioids. Aspirin (also an NSAID) is used to inhibit the clotting of blood and prevent strokes and heart attacks in individuals at high risk. NSAIDs also are included in many cold and allergy preparations.

8. If you or anyone in your family has ever been diagnosed with any of the following autoimmune disorders then PLEASE reconsider getting a LAGB.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001819/
  • Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)
  • Acute necrotizing hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis
  • Addison's disease
  • Agammaglobulinemia
  • Alopecia areata
  • Amyloidosis
  • Ankylosing spondylitis
  • Anti-GBM/Anti-TBM nephritis
  • Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)
  • Autoimmune angioedema
  • Autoimmune aplastic anemia
  • Autoimmune dysautonomia
  • Autoimmune hepatitis
  • Autoimmune hyperlipidemia
  • Autoimmune immunodeficiency
  • Autoimmune inner ear disease (AIED)
  • Autoimmune myocarditis
  • Autoimmune pancreatitis
  • Autoimmune retinopathy
  • Autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura (ATP)
  • Autoimmune thyroid disease
  • Autoimmune urticaria
  • Axonal & neuronal neuropathies
  • Balo disease
  • Behcet’s disease
  • Bullous pemphigoid
  • Cardiomyopathy
  • Castleman disease
  • Celiac disease
  • Chagas disease
  • Chronic fatigue syndrome**
  • Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)
  • Chronic recurrent multifocal ostomyelitis (CRMO) 
  • Churg-Strauss syndrome
  • Cicatricial pemphigoid/benign mucosal pemphigoid
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Cogans syndrome
  • Cold agglutinin disease
  • Congenital heart block
  • Coxsackie myocarditis
  • CREST disease
  • Essential mixed cryoglobulinemia
  • Demyelinating neuropathies
  • Dermatitis herpetiformis 
  • Dermatomyositis
  • Devic's disease (neuromyelitis optica)
  • Discoid lupus
  • Dressler’s syndrome
  • Endometriosis
  • Eosinophilic fasciitis
  • Erythema nodosum
  • Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis
  • Evans syndrome
  • Fibromyalgia**
  • Fibrosing alveolitis
  • Giant cell arteritis (temporal arteritis)
  • Glomerulonephritis
  • Goodpasture’s syndrome
  • Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA) see Wegener's 
  • Graves' disease
  • Guillain-Barre syndrome
  • Hashimoto's encephalitis
  • Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
  • Hemolytic anemia
  • Henoch-Schonlein purpura
  • Herpes gestationis
  • Hypogammaglobulinemia
  • Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)
  • IgA nephropathy
  • IgG4-related sclerosing disease
  • Immunoregulatory lipoproteins
  • Inclusion body myositis
  • Insulin-dependent diabetes (type1)
  • Interstitial cystitis
  • Juvenile arthritis
  • Juvenile diabetes
  • Kawasaki syndrome
  • Lambert-Eaton syndrome
  • Leukocytoclastic vasculitis
  • Lichen planus
  • Lichen sclerosus
  • Ligneous conjunctivitis
  • Linear IgA disease (LAD)
  • Lupus (SLE)
  • Lyme disease, chronic 
  • Meniere’s disease
  • Microscopic polyangiitis
  • Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD)
  • Mooren’s ulcer
  • Mucha-Habermann disease
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Myasthenia gravis
  • Myositis
  • Narcolepsy
  • Neuromyelitis optica (Devic's)
  • Neutropenia
  • Ocular cicatricial pemphigoid
  • Optic neuritis
  • Palindromic rheumatism
  • PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Strepto****us)
  • Paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration
  • Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH)
  • Parry Romberg syndrome
  • Parsonnage-Turner syndrome
  • Pars planitis (peripheral uveitis)
  • Pemphigus
  • Peripheral neuropathy
  • Perivenous encephalomyelitis
  • Pernicious anemia
  • POEMS syndrome
  • Polyarteritis nodosa
  • Type I, II, & III autoimmune polyglandular syndromes
  • Polymyalgia rheumatica
  • Polymyositis
  • Postmyocardial infarction syndrome
  • Postpericardiotomy syndrome
  • Progesterone dermatitis
  • Primary biliary cirrhosis
  • Primary sclerosing cholangitis 
  • Psoriasis
  • Psoriatic arthritis
  • Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
  • Pyoderma gangrenosum
  • Pure red cell aplasia
  • Raynauds phenomenon
  • Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
  • Reiter’s syndrome
  • Relapsing polychondritis
  • Restless legs syndrome
  • Retroperitoneal fibrosis
  • Rheumatic fever
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Schmidt syndrome
  • Scleritis
  • Scleroderma
  •  
  • Sjogren's syndrome
  • Sperm & testicular autoimmunity
  • Stiff person syndrome
  • Subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE)
  • Susac's syndrome
  • Sympathetic ophthalmia
  • Takayasu’s arteritis
  • Temporal arteritis/Giant cell arteritis
  • Thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP)
  • Tolosa-Hunt syndrome
  • Transverse myelitis
  • Ulcerative colitis
  • Undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD)
  • Uveitis
  • Vasculitis
  • Vesiculobullous dermatosis
  • Vitiligo
  • Wegener’s granulomatosis (now termed Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA)

**NOTE Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue are listed, not because they are autoimmune, but because many persons who suffer from them have associated autoimmune disease(s)

hideetee
on 2/29/12 4:35 am - Fairbury, IL
On February 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM Pacific Time, Pumpkin X . wrote:
On February 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Pacific Time, hideetee wrote:

Why the band ?
I am begging you to click on the link in my siggy and do a bit more research about the band. I've had two bands and now have a sleeve. Sleeves used as a WLS tool are newer weight loss surgeries, but sleeve surgeries AKA partial or full gastrectomies have been done since the 1800's. MUCH longer the the Lap Band has been performed and without the forgein body. There is no way of knowing if your body will reject the band. It may reject it right away or it may take awhile for the symptoms of rejection to appear or in most cases, the acceptance of that rejection.

A gastrectomy is a partial or full surgical removal of the stomach.The first successful gastrectomy was performed by Theodor Billroth in 1881 for cancer of the stomach.

This is a small list of what my band gave and took from me. I am NOT " a rare event " There are several like me, and all you have to do is click on the link in my siggy and start reading about other OH members who were/still are being harmed by their bands.

1. I have lost & kept off roughly 76 lbs with my band since June 19Thnd I have lost weight more since being sleeved.

2. I now have permanent nerve damage from my band due to the bands close proximityimity to the vagus nerve..
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve

3. I am one of a growing list of post lap band surgery patients who are newly being diagnosed with post lap band fibromyalgia.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001463/

4. With all the acid reflux/GERD that I and many others have experienced post band. I/We are now at a greater risk for esophageal cancer, gastroparesis,esophageal dismotility,painful esophageal spasms and plenty more.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002128/

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001328/

5. I suffer from GAD www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001915/

6.The band did not give me back my life, it took it away and I exchanged one set of problems for another more serious and painful set of problems. If I could go back in time, I would never have chosen the lap band.

7. If you or anyone in your family have a history of any medical condition that requires NSAIDS, then do not get the band. Some sleeve surgeons say no to NSAIDS, and others say it's okay to take NSAIDS. Check this list for a complete list of meds that contain NSAIDS.
www.consumerreports.org/health/resources/pdf/best-buy-drugs/ Nsaids2.pdf

For what conditions are NSAIDs used?

NSAIDs are used primarily to treat inflammation, mild to moderate pain, and fever. Specific uses include the treatment of headaches, arthritis, sports injuries, and menstrual cramps. Ketorolac (Toradol) is only used for short-term treatment of moderately severe acute pain that otherwise would be treated with opioids. Aspirin (also an NSAID) is used to inhibit the clotting of blood and prevent strokes and heart attacks in individuals at high risk. NSAIDs also are included in many cold and allergy preparations.

8. If you or anyone in your family has ever been diagnosed with any of the following autoimmune disorders then PLEASE reconsider getting a LAGB.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001819/
  • Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)
  • Acute necrotizing hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis
  • Addison's disease
  • Agammaglobulinemia
  • Alopecia areata
  • Amyloidosis
  • Ankylosing spondylitis
  • Anti-GBM/Anti-TBM nephritis
  • Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)
  • Autoimmune angioedema
  • Autoimmune aplastic anemia
  • Autoimmune dysautonomia
  • Autoimmune hepatitis
  • Autoimmune hyperlipidemia
  • Autoimmune immunodeficiency
  • Autoimmune inner ear disease (AIED)
  • Autoimmune myocarditis
  • Autoimmune pancreatitis
  • Autoimmune retinopathy
  • Autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura (ATP)
  • Autoimmune thyroid disease
  • Autoimmune urticaria
  • Axonal & neuronal neuropathies
  • Balo disease
  • Behcet’s disease
  • Bullous pemphigoid
  • Cardiomyopathy
  • Castleman disease
  • Celiac disease
  • Chagas disease
  • Chronic fatigue syndrome**
  • Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)
  • Chronic recurrent multifocal ostomyelitis (CRMO) 
  • Churg-Strauss syndrome
  • Cicatricial pemphigoid/benign mucosal pemphigoid
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Cogans syndrome
  • Cold agglutinin disease
  • Congenital heart block
  • Coxsackie myocarditis
  • CREST disease
  • Essential mixed cryoglobulinemia
  • Demyelinating neuropathies
  • Dermatitis herpetiformis 
  • Dermatomyositis
  • Devic's disease (neuromyelitis optica)
  • Discoid lupus
  • Dressler’s syndrome
  • Endometriosis
  • Eosinophilic fasciitis
  • Erythema nodosum
  • Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis
  • Evans syndrome
  • Fibromyalgia**
  • Fibrosing alveolitis
  • Giant cell arteritis (temporal arteritis)
  • Glomerulonephritis
  • Goodpasture’s syndrome
  • Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA) see Wegener's 
  • Graves' disease
  • Guillain-Barre syndrome
  • Hashimoto's encephalitis
  • Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
  • Hemolytic anemia
  • Henoch-Schonlein purpura
  • Herpes gestationis
  • Hypogammaglobulinemia
  • Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)
  • IgA nephropathy
  • IgG4-related sclerosing disease
  • Immunoregulatory lipoproteins
  • Inclusion body myositis
  • Insulin-dependent diabetes (type1)
  • Interstitial cystitis
  • Juvenile arthritis
  • Juvenile diabetes
  • Kawasaki syndrome
  • Lambert-Eaton syndrome
  • Leukocytoclastic vasculitis
  • Lichen planus
  • Lichen sclerosus
  • Ligneous conjunctivitis
  • Linear IgA disease (LAD)
  • Lupus (SLE)
  • Lyme disease, chronic 
  • Meniere’s disease
  • Microscopic polyangiitis
  • Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD)
  • Mooren’s ulcer
  • Mucha-Habermann disease
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Myasthenia gravis
  • Myositis
  • Narcolepsy
  • Neuromyelitis optica (Devic's)
  • Neutropenia
  • Ocular cicatricial pemphigoid
  • Optic neuritis
  • Palindromic rheumatism
  • PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Strepto****us)
  • Paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration
  • Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH)
  • Parry Romberg syndrome
  • Parsonnage-Turner syndrome
  • Pars planitis (peripheral uveitis)
  • Pemphigus
  • Peripheral neuropathy
  • Perivenous encephalomyelitis
  • Pernicious anemia
  • POEMS syndrome
  • Polyarteritis nodosa
  • Type I, II, & III autoimmune polyglandular syndromes
  • Polymyalgia rheumatica
  • Polymyositis
  • Postmyocardial infarction syndrome
  • Postpericardiotomy syndrome
  • Progesterone dermatitis
  • Primary biliary cirrhosis
  • Primary sclerosing cholangitis 
  • Psoriasis
  • Psoriatic arthritis
  • Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
  • Pyoderma gangrenosum
  • Pure red cell aplasia
  • Raynauds phenomenon
  • Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
  • Reiter’s syndrome
  • Relapsing polychondritis
  • Restless legs syndrome
  • Retroperitoneal fibrosis
  • Rheumatic fever
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Schmidt syndrome
  • Scleritis
  • Scleroderma
  •  
  • Sjogren's syndrome
  • Sperm & testicular autoimmunity
  • Stiff person syndrome
  • Subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE)
  • Susac's syndrome
  • Sympathetic ophthalmia
  • Takayasu’s arteritis
  • Temporal arteritis/Giant cell arteritis
  • Thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP)
  • Tolosa-Hunt syndrome
  • Transverse myelitis
  • Ulcerative colitis
  • Undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD)
  • Uveitis
  • Vasculitis
  • Vesiculobullous dermatosis
  • Vitiligo
  • Wegener’s granulomatosis (now termed Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA)

**NOTE Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue are listed, not because they are autoimmune, but because many persons who suffer from them have associated autoimmune disease(s)

Thanks for the info.  I have been researching for about 4 years now.  My insurance won't cover anything but lap band or roux ny.  After my research, I feel like lap band is what is best for me for right now.
Most Active