Oldies Still Around?

Cathy B.
on 3/7/12 9:53 am - Lutz, FL
In a real oldie. 2005. Not where I could be but working it again. Still not sorry I got it.

cheyenne000
on 3/7/12 12:03 pm
VSG on 03/25/16
Welcome back, sure hope you stick around.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Bette B.
on 3/7/12 12:08 pm
 I'm still around, but have been posting less frequently. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Stacy T.
on 3/8/12 12:38 am
YAY!!!! Hi BB!  I miss your *****fest posts!!!

Pre-Op wt : 210 (Nov 08)

Lowest Post-op wt: 145 (Jul 12)

Removal wt: 185 (Feb 19)

Bette B.
on 3/8/12 8:33 am
 I posted one today, over on the Main Board.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

NanaB.
on 3/7/12 7:02 pm
 There are many oldies out there, but many are long gone.....there are many like myself that pops in from time to time.
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Tracy L.
on 3/8/12 12:31 pm - Longview, WA
Yep I am a lurker.  I dont post as much and if I do its asking questions & not too much of telling people what I have encountered because I have been basically told I am wrong.  I dont know how I could be wrong when it is my story but oh well.  I am glad you are back & I am glad to be back as well. :)
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/12 4:03 pm, edited 3/8/12 4:04 pm
I've been a lurker for 7 years until today. Never wanted to join due to some very vicious surgery wars, which is not to say I didn't study what was being said (they were most entertaining), and I did learn a lot (we all know the people who can be really annoying, but it makes for interesting reading, and I learn a lot - so I keep an open mind). I just never felt the need to participate. Being flamed is not a good use of my time.

I've had my lapband for coming up on 7 years. Only had 5 fills and one unfill after a car accident. My last fill was 11/2007 (total of 2 cc in a 4 cc band) and I've been at my sweet spot every since (not too tight, not too lose - just perfect). My surgeon provides FREE lifetime fills and unfills for self-pay patients and they are all under fluoroscopy. I'm below goal weight and maintaining well. I've probably spent hundreds of hours on here in these last 7 years and have gotten to know quite a few people. So even though you don't know me, I feel like many of you are old friends. And I miss the ones who have disappeared over the years (for various reasons).

Don't have anything to add except that yes, there are quite a number of us successful long term bandsters out there who selected the perfect surgery for US and we've no problems (large or small, and some have had minor issues). I've lost 80+ lbs, went from a 22 to a 6/8 and for a 55 year old, I love my body. Haven't had plastic surgery and I look great with my clothes on - which is what is important to me since I've been married 32 years and my husband has loved me no matter what I weigh or look like just out of the shower

As has been said repeatedly throughout the years, most "old timers" don't bother to post. We truly are living life. But... I have found a wealth of information on here and want to stay on top of things, so sometimes it is 6 months or more before I lurk, and sometimes I lurk every day. Sometimes Naomi gets a bad rap, but I've been following her for almost 7 years. She's earned her stripes and I value what she says. Bette is a blast to read, and while I didn't always agree with Diana Cox, I respected her wisdom and knowledge and what she had to say. I ordered and read Jean's book - really great job - and feel like she is a friend. Revisions can happen at any time, and I am sorry she is undergoing a revision, but no doubt she will be an inspriration whatever happens in her life. Maria is interesting, a little blunt and no-nonsense, but nothing wrong with that. She does know her stuff and she has my respect. There's a number of others who I faithfully follow, both pro lapband and lapband haters. I respect them all, regardless of their passion for or against the lapband. If I had to do it all over again, I would still go with the lapband as it has been 100% perfect for me. Were the lapband not availabl for me, I'd probably go with the sleeve. I've learned a lot and knowledge is always a good thing. I don't have to defend my decision as I am secure enough in my choice that this will never fail me. I've come too far. BUT, I DO agree with the anti-lapband people for those considering surgery to explore ALL the options and make the decision that is best for you (although it would be nice if people just told their stories without imposing their beliefs the lapband is a crapband and will fail no matter what). I think in the end, we should certainly share OUR experiences without generalizing. I enjoy reading all experiences, negative and positive - and yes, there ARE negative and positive on ALL the message boards abut ALL the surgeries.

When I get the energy, I will try to update my profile.

But I DID want to take the time and tell people that there ARE very, very successful lapbanders who have no problems, who have quickly lost weight, look great and feel great, and have kept it off (even after they watch multple RNY friends regain their weight - not that all RYN's do, but I've seen too many in real life get past the honeymoon period and start packing on the pounds). Not everything works for everyone. But don't tell me my lapband is going to fail at some point. I'm not a perfect bandster, but I treat it well. And since it was a high quality band installed by a center of excellence surgeon who provides free after care, I don't believe I will ever lose my band. HOWEVER, should the unthinkable happen, thanks to all the negative bandsters/revisionists, I know where to start looking should i need a revision (and yes, my health plan pays for it regardless if I was self pay the first time around).

I will say the new terms have made this rather boring, but I still keep coming back. At least now I am official.
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/12 11:30 pm, edited 3/8/12 11:31 pm

I got my band on April 20, 2009, so I am coming up on 3 years. I haven't had any problems with my band. I keep my band on the looser side because I am afraid of causing problems later on by getting it too tight. I lost 67 lbs within about 8 months after getting my band, but then over the last 2 years I got lazy on my exercise and eating habits and gained 25 back. This was my own fault, not the bands. I have started exercising again and watching my carbs closer and I am down 3.2 lbs since Monday, which is awesome! I can't recall how many fills I have had, but I haven't had that many. I think around 5 or less. I think I have around 6 or less cc's in my 10 cc band. My last fill was in February 2011. That could have been part of my gain, but honestly I ate anything I wanted and exercised very little. Like I said I am a little fearful of getting more saline put in because I would rather have a looser band and keep it in the long run. I don't post much, but I do lurk on this forum. I love to hear stories of successful bandsters! It does give me a lot of hope. Like I said I have not had any problems, but with all the posts about problems it does make me worry that it will happen to me at some point. I have a great doctor at a Center of Excellence who I believe did an excellent job putting my band in and I hope that does help with long term success! 

Edited: Actually I gained 27.4 lbs over the last 2 years! I really wish I hadn't done that and I would still be 155, but I am working on it now......

Tiff tells all
on 3/14/12 4:26 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
Hey Girl- I'm still around but only once in a while. I'm mostly on the Bandwagon group, Growing Thin and the Lap Band Divas all over on facebook. Sorry for deserting you!  Things got weird around here for a while so I split. 

How's your little one? BTW- I'm expecting my own little peanut in Sept. So excited! 

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Most Active