Hole in my tubing

stephp77
on 3/7/12 4:29 am - Sioux Falls, SD
Well I found out today that I have a hole in my tubing from the port to the actual band. There is a kink in the tubing that they believe that it wore a hole in it. 

Brief history...My band was placed in November 2007. In early 2009 I went in for an adjustment but the doctor didn't find any saline in the band at all. I had what I thought was a valid test to see if there were any holes or leaks in the band and nothing was found. Looking back and looking the records it appears to have been just an x-ray. A few months after that was the last time I saw a doctor for this due to employment and insurance issues. About 6 weeks ago I was able to start seeing a new doctor (I have since moved out of state from where I had surgery and the x-ray). At that time the doctor didn't find anything in the band either but thought that since she wasn't familar with the band (meaning this office didn't do the surgery) that perhaps she needed to use a bigger needle to pull it out. We decided it was ok to put in a small amount and recheck in a few weeks. The few weeks check was yesterday. Again she didn't find anything in the band including what she put in last time. She was positive she had the needle in the port but still got nothing. I went to the hospital this morning to do an adjustment with fluro to see if there were leaks. Sure enough there was.

I am not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I was sure this was my issue. I had gained weight back although not all of it. I know I wasn't the best patient, meaning I did revert back to some of my old habits, although not all. I also think that if the doctor in 2009 had done this type of test back then I might have had the problem fixed already and been back on track and lost the weight I need to lose. Then again there might not have been a leak back then. On another hand I am also scared about having another surgery. We haven't talked about all the details yet. Basically I just heard I will need surgery and kind of zoned out. I will need to absorb this and write out my questions. Add this to another kink with my employment and insurance (my work is being bought - pending government approval at the beginning of April - and therefore will have new insurance at that time). I have no clue what the new one will cover for this. Obviously the doctor's office will check into both the current insurance and the new. Hopefully we won't have to rush into doing it by the end of March. Yes that would be nice as far as getting it done but with arranging work, insurance, and all that it seems rushed.

Anyone else have problems with leaks in their tubing? What was your experience?

Also stupid question that I don't remember from the research I did before surgery - is this a revision? Repair?

Stephanie
Sioux Falls, SD

Height:  5'5.5"; Beginning weight 253
Educational seminar - 09/05/07; First consult - 09/17/07; Insurance rec'd submission - 10/01/07; Insurance approved - 10/05/07; Surgery - 11/21/07 (253 pounds of the morning of surgery); Mini goal met of down to 225 - 12/23/07.

Stacy T.
on 3/7/12 9:40 am
I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't have any answers for your questions since I haven't had this problem but I hope it all works out for you.

((hugs))

Pre-Op wt : 210 (Nov 08)

Lowest Post-op wt: 145 (Jul 12)

Removal wt: 185 (Feb 19)

droopy
on 3/16/12 4:14 pm
 I found out several months ago that my port is not holding the fluids.  So now I have to go in on Monday and have the port replaced.  No insurance for this.  It is all out of pocket expenses.  Very frustrated but I have come too far to go back.  I only hope and pray that the fluid will hold this time because during the last year I have watched my weight creep back up slowly and I do NOT want to gain all of it back.  My eating habits have definitely been terrible.  So, I have to make myself get back on TRACK beginning Monday.  Wish me luck!  I had surgery in May 2008.

stephp77
on 3/20/12 10:04 am - Sioux Falls, SD
 Good luck with that! It would be very frustrating to say the least.

Stephanie
Sioux Falls, SD

Height:  5'5.5"; Beginning weight 253
Educational seminar - 09/05/07; First consult - 09/17/07; Insurance rec'd submission - 10/01/07; Insurance approved - 10/05/07; Surgery - 11/21/07 (253 pounds of the morning of surgery); Mini goal met of down to 225 - 12/23/07.

Most Active