Stomach Protection with Celebrex

gouldsfiya
on 3/13/12 1:15 pm
I am almost 5 years out from my lapband surgery.  I need new knees, but need to manage my pain until the middle of May if at all possible.  What have you been told about taking Celebrex or other NSAIDS? 
MARIA F.
on 3/13/12 1:21 pm - Athens, GA

Don't. You have been extremely lucky to make it as long as you have with the band. I wouldn't jepordize it by taking NSAIDS if I were you.

FormerlyFluffy.com

MARIA F.
on 3/13/12 1:27 pm - Athens, GA

Btw..........I have knee and back problems as well. They are always wanting to prescribe NSAIDS for me as well. You might try the heat packs over your knees.

FormerlyFluffy.com

NanaB.
on 3/13/12 2:05 pm, edited 3/13/12 2:08 pm
I've taken NSAIDS on and off over the years with my band, but NOT consistently and I've had no problems, you really need to discuss this with your surgeon, they should know your medical condition more than we do, every ones stomach tissues are NOT the same, some have weaker stomach tissue than others..hence why some people may be more prone to band migration than others.

But NSAIDS should not be taken every single day for months or years with ANY lap bander, I do know that, but for an occasional aliment is OK for most well healed lap banders -- again this should be discussed with your surgeon.

Edited to Add: Celebrex is a very strong medication and I would not take it with NO lap band, I've heard that it has many harmful side effects -- more than useful...I am sure there are other safer alternatives out there.
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

SueBee01
on 3/14/12 4:23 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I took it for five years, every day, prior to my band and I went off it when I had surgery. I am with you as my hip is really bothering me, but getting better every day as I exercise in the pool to do non-weightbearing exercise. I also wanted to go off it to see if the pain would get any better with weight loss. I am excited to be able to get back in the pool tomorrow as my six weeks are up and get back at it. I was feeling really good prior to surgery when I could go in the pool every other day.

See if you can find a pool to strengthen the muscles around your knees to help. I went to a physical therapist and did aqua therapy for several weeks to get the right routine to do.

Good luck.

P.S. I just had the local pharmacist order me some Extra Strength Liquid Tylenol and I am going to try that when it really bothers me.
 Sue

Melanie V.
on 3/14/12 9:12 pm - Denver, CO
I have RA and I have been taking Celebrex since I got my band. I drink something called carafate 15 minutes before I take it. Works well.
Surgery 2/3/10 Weight 207
Current 165
Goal 140
Believe you can and you're halfway there. -Theodore Roosevelt-
1106ng
on 3/15/12 5:45 am - Greenville, MI
I take Celebrex 2x/day and have for a number of years for arthritis. When I got the band I added Omeprazole. I chose the band because they told me I could take NSAIDs with it and I could not take them with RNY, the only other procedure covered by my insurance.
Most Active