Support Group!

monymony
on 4/4/12 7:37 am
I have questions for everyone.

Do you attend support group?
If you don't then why not?
If you are, do you feel that your needs are being met?
Does anyone attend online groups?

What do you like or dislike about them?
Please give me honest answers. I can take it.
Thanks Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

-Mari-
on 4/4/12 8:02 am
Do you attend support group? I did for about 5 months after first being banded.
If you don't then why not? After awhile it was the same questions being addressed, they now have a different class for people who've been banded, awhile, but I haven't went to one, yet.
If you are, do you feel that your needs are being met? When I went, yes they were. Our Dr was there to answer any questions, too.
Does anyone attend online groups? Just his one, LOL

What do you like or dislike about them? I liked it way back when, it really helped with a lot of questions I had, I don't like that not as many people are on it anymore and all the bashing.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Phyllis T.
on 4/4/12 8:11 am - Las Vegas, NV
My doctor holds a support group meeting once a month.  I try to attend each time.  I am almost 3 years out, have been maintaining 100%+ weight loss for 2 years now.  The support group is still very important to me.  It keeps me focused on maintaining my weight loss and keeping up with good band eating habits.  I'm usually the "longest since surgery", and hope that I provide some good practical information to others not as far along on their journey.  And it seems I learn something new each time myself, or get some different ideas for foods, exercise, etc.  Sometimes the speakers are repetitive (same subject several times), but I try to get something new out of each, and I really enjoy hearing about others' questions, successes, and even setbacks since everyone is very helpful when a problem is brought up.  We also get people who are just starting to explore WLS and the group tries to help them understand what is involved.
I miss it when I can't attend a meeting!

Phyllis

Bubble S.
on 4/4/12 11:42 am

Do you attend support group?   Yes I try and make it every week.  This is just a group that gets together.  We have all types of WLS, from newbies to some who are 10+ years out.  And I might add the banded people are the happiest - go figure !!!  My doctor holds them once a month with some great topics, and speakers, but he is too far away.  His office has started to do live online meetings but it is usually at 3pm and I am too busy with work to get on.  Once of these days soon I will make time to do it.

If you don't then why not?  It is the times when I think I know it all and don't need the group is when I really need the one on one comradory that the group gives me

If you are, do you feel that your needs are being met?  Yes.  I was the only banster for about 10 months but I always walked away from the meeting with knowledge that I could implement in my weight loss plan.

Does anyone attend online groups?  Just this one.  I did join OA yesterday due to a posting from KathKeb.  She is a great inspiration

What do you like or dislike about them? 

I loved OH when I was a newbie.  I am so glad that my boss was hooked on fantasy football at the time and could not care less that I was glued to my monitor every half hour.  ( my typical day back then - OH, minimize, work, minimize , OH etc.  I could not get enough of this site. Now I usually pop in at lunch time read a little then close it down.  A little too depressing when you see some of the decisions made about the rest of you life being decided on a few zealot's remarks.    Same crap different day.
 Remember, if you want to be a 155 pound person, you have to EAT like one. 
  View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Betty J.
on 4/4/12 11:52 pm - Waterville, MN
REALIZE Band on 03/08/12
 I don't as my doctor doesn't have one. I guess he used to have a group but just prior to me getting my band it stopped meeting. He is moving to a new statalitte office closer to my home. I am hoping that a new group can be started. I'm going to ask today.
I come on here almost every day to read and ask questions.

Heaviest wt. 235- surgery wt-203

(Fallen trying to get back on)      Current wt= 215.

Edit   Delete  

Edit   Delete        

ohbearly
on 4/5/12 1:26 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
I am very much a supporter of support groups. I am four years out and regularly attend my local group. I think it depends on what type of person you are. Some people thrive in them and others do not. The thing I hate the most is the repetition for new members. Our WLS group is sort of on an annual schedule. The topics rotate but the coordinator always add new topics; usually member focused or driven.

Last year my group started a long-term group.It is member driven and is well attended. The topics are specific to long-term WLS folks. I also like these groups since I have met many of my now best friends and have found people to bike and run with. I guess I am a more social person and I like the social aspect that the groups bring to my life. Support is what you make it.

-- Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Easternshoregrl
on 4/5/12 10:56 pm - MD
Easternshoregrl
on 4/5/12 11:03 pm, edited 4/5/12 11:03 pm - MD
I do not attend support groups. I come to this forum. Ii was banded 225 miles away from home. The local support group won't accept me because I didn't use a local Dr who charges 4 grand up front as a "program fee". IF you don't have surgery by him, you can't go to the support group meetings.

Recently, another Dr. started doing WLS and my program director from my surgeon's office got me in.

The support group was mostly people 4 months out or less. I was 2yrs out plus at the time and didn't feel my needs were being met. All the group members were gung ho positive with no real issues yet. They were doing everything right, exercising and so positive. I was the same the first year but later, things changed as I imagine they do for most bandsters 2+ yrs out. I would like to see a support group for past the first 18 months.

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

Most Active