BOB

Cali_SL
on 4/23/12 4:05 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi. I had the RNY June 2009. I only lost 60 lbs. I am now approaching my 3 year surgery anniversary. I plan on looking into getting a Band over Bypass because I want too lose 80 more pounds. I would like to know if anyone here had the BOB a few years after getting the RNY. It seems most people that had this procedure had their first surgery many years ago. Is 3 years after my RNY too soon?
~Cali          
Zee Starrlite
on 4/23/12 4:14 am
Have you gained back any of the 60lbs you lost?

I wish you well.  My doc said the band has the same stats on an RNY pouch as it does a virgin stomach.  You may want to explore the boards some more.

All Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Tom C.
on 4/24/12 4:56 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

WARNING many times my posts can be misconstrued as being boorish. Those who know me know this is far from the truth. I don’t believe in sugar (no pun intended) coating things, and sometimes it reads wrong, and if this is the case here please excuse me. All I am trying to do is help .. with that said …

Before you decide to get another procedure, I need to ask - have you followed the rules set by your Doctor and/or Nutritionist? Not sometimes, but MOST OF THE TIMES (I’m talking 80 to 90%).

Remember, all these operations are TOOLS. They are not going to do the work for you. YOU need to do the work.  No matter how many procedures you get, if you don’t do what is required by you, then you won’t be successful.

With that said, if you HAVE followed all the rules, and you’re still not satisfied with you loss, then speak to your Doctor about having the BOB.

You stated you lost ONLY 60 pounds. Here is my pet peeve, and it’s in regards to using the word ONLY!! Be proud and OWN those pounds lost. Would you have rather gained these pounds? I understand it’s not as much as you may have like to have lost, but it’s still A LOSS!!

Since I am unsure where you stated, 60 pounds may be a great achievement. Many may compare their lost to someone else’s, and get discouraged. The amount of weight lost is affected by many factors. Everyone loses weight at different rates. It has to do with age, gender, one’s weight, exercise, etc.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily loose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. 

And sometimes it is not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. Remember, if you have tone up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is denser then fat. Someone weighing 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighing 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying only 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

Also numbers don’t always tell the TRUE story of success weight loss. Remember there are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

I strongly suggest speaking to your Doctor before you decide to have another operation. May they, or your Nutritionist, can suggest some “tweaks" to make you hit the goal you want.

Good luck, and know we’re here for you!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Cali_SL
on 4/24/12 7:50 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for the responses. In regards to Tom C, yes, I did follow "the rules" 80% or more...........during the first 6 months. I got discouraged and stopped exercising when I was wasn't really dropping any weight. I saw other ppl  that had the surgery around the same time as me and they were dropping 10-15 lbs a month! I was only dropping a measly 2-5 lbs a month. I only compared myself with ppl that started around the same weight at me-about 265 lbs. All of those ppl are now under 200 lbs! Yes, I do take some of the blame in this. But I really feel cheated. I think Dr. Dutson did not make my stomach small enough. When I look in the mirror I don't see the 60 lbs gone, I see a SLIGHTLY less fat version of my former self. But, still FAT. I waited 10 years to have this surgery and I feel it's all a waste now. Recently, I've gained about 7lbs and I'm afraid I'll gain more.  I know eating right and exercise is key. I try not to eat too bad. But I don't exercise. I'm just to drained after work to do it  and where I work it isn't ideal for a walk on breaks.  So I'm really coming to the conclusion that I'm just going to overweight for the rest of my life.
~Cali          
heathercross
on 4/24/12 8:56 am - New York, NY
 Hi. I had a BOB last June and YES, I had an RNY in 2002, went from 305 to 175 and back to 250 about 6 yrs later.  

Couple questions for you to think about since you didn't mention them in your post.

Why do you want or need a revision? So, you lost 60lbs.  CONGRATS, How much excess weight did you have to lose?  I have to agree with the others, why did you not lose the weight?  Did you graze, did you not exercise, did you drink your calories?  

Before considering another surgery, have you found out if 
something mechinically went wrong?  
What where the results of the Endoscopy?  
CT Scan of your Abdoment?  
Upper GI?

Have you seen your old surgeon yet?  Just sometough love here and some things you will need to ask yourself.  

Cali_SL
on 4/25/12 1:18 am - Los Angeles, CA
I initially wanted to get down to 160, now I'd settle for 180. Other than not excercising regularly, I don't really know why I didn't lose more weight. I had a CT Scan and apparently nothing is wrong because they never contacted me afterwards. I really don't think my RNY is working anymore. I feel my stomach is back to it's original size. The only think that makes me sick is ice cream. Other than that, I can eat anything. Of course I can eat more than a cup of food, but not always a full plate. I know if I go back to my HMO, they'll deny me another surgery. So, I am thinking about going to a private doctor and paying out of pocket.
heathercross
on 4/25/12 1:27 am - New York, NY
 You should get an endoscopy and see if you pouch has stretched or if you have an enlarge opening. If yes, you should qualify for a revision.
Cherokeesage
on 4/24/12 1:06 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
"If you work it , it will work" isn't always so because of some metobolic reason but for the most part is holds true.  I encourage you to get in contact with your NUT and have a heart to heart.  There are hundreds out there in the same boat and usually it's just needing a jumpstart back in the right direction.  If you have stretched your stomach and get a BOB, will you continue to do the same and stretch the smaller stomach as well?  Do you have a local support group?  No matter what type of surgery tool, we are all on the same journey.  Wishing you all the best!

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Cali_SL
on 4/25/12 1:21 am - Los Angeles, CA
But I think a BOB would really help me. I never really had the full experience of a properly RNY small stomach. Spoke with a nutritionist some time ago. Her skinny ass got on my nerves, so I ended that.
heathercross
on 4/25/12 1:29 am - New York, NY
 Barbara, I disagree.  just bc your pouch stretched with your RNY doesn't mean you will stretch your new pouch with your BOB.  My surgeon was very conservative and made huge pouches.  I lost 130lbs in 1 year, kept if off for 6 yrs by exercising 6 days a week for 2hrs at a time.  I did that bc even with the RNY, I could eat anything and a lot.  With the BOB, I am not hungey and I have restriction. I haven't had that since RNY year 1.
Most Active