Hey Everyone!!! Having some Tummy troubles

veenie73
on 5/23/12 5:00 am - Louisville, KY
Hey everyone!!
I haven't posted on here in a very long time, but I have popped in a few times. Well, I had to have ALL my fluid taken out 2wks ago.  I got my band in April 2011. I was doing very good there for awhile. I found out back in Oct 2011, that my port was tilted and I had to get fills under x-ray. Then I started having trouble with fills. It was like I was sensitive to the fills. I only could get .5cc at a time. So I only had 2cc in my band when I got all the fluid taken out. This last time I went to get a fill because I had gained 4lbs and I knew I was eating more.  After I got the fill, I wasn't able to take in any fluid. I got very dehydrated and the Dr. had to take out ALL the fluid which was 5cc in all. (He put 2cc in at surgery).

Now Im trying to maintain my wt until Im able to start all over. The date I got my band emptied was My band anniversary. I have only lost 54lbs in a year. Im not mad about that. I guess Im just frustrated on have these problems. Then on top of that I have to have my gallbladder removed on June 8th.  That dang thing doesn't want to work right, UGH!!!

On a good note my hubby, who got his band on April 28, 2011 has lost 135lbs and is maintaining his wt really good. He hasn't had any issuses. Well, he does have to get a lil fluid taken out tomorrow. He is have a lil acid reflux. But other than that is doing AWESOME!!!

Well, just wanted to vent a little bit. I hope everyone is doing well with their WLS...
The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time...   

Tom C.
on 5/23/12 6:49 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

CONGRATS to YOU and YOUR HUSBAND for the LOSS. However I am sorry to hear about your issues, and gallbadder problem. Wishing all the best, and praying hard

Now – A pet peeve .. DROP THE WORD ONLY !! I get very upset to read, or hear, “I’ve lost only X pounds". Why use the word ONLY !?!?!?! Be proud of those pounds you lost!!! This is a major accomplishment!!

How many times were you NOT able to lose that amount of weight???? Or when you did, you gained it right back?? If you lost weight, and haven’t gained it all back, then aren’t you really winning?!?!?

Remember, normal HEALTHY weight loss is anywhere between 1/2 a pound to 2 pounds a week, and if you do the math you are hitting that average. My Doctor feels the slower one loses, the better chance they will keep it off

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
veenie73
on 5/24/12 12:32 am - Louisville, KY
Thanks Tom!!!
I understand what your saying about the word ONLY!!! I have accomplished alot with the wt lost. I guess I was looking at how great my hubby is doing. I have to really stop looking at him and his wt lost and trying to compare myself to him. That has been a VERY hard thing to do. I got on the scale yesterday and I haven't gained any wt since I got all my fluid taken out. Im really PROUD of myself.

Thank you for the prayers and I will keep you posted.

adorkbl
on 5/23/12 8:56 am
I agree with Tom!! Be proud of the weight you have lost. Drop that word "only".

I am sorry to hear about the fill issues. I have had my fair share of fill difficulties... so I know how frustrating it can be. I am assuming your Dr wants to wait until after your gallbladder surgery to start giving you fills again?

When you start back up your fills, just know that a tiny fill can make a huge difference. Perhaps your were close to optimal restriction durning your last fill and you had just a smidge too much. Why did your Dr take out ALL your fluid? Just curious. I once spent a night spitting my saliva into a cup because I was too tight and my Dr just backed out some fill. He didn't take everything out.

I hope you find a great fill level soon. Keep up the amazing work!! It must help to have a hubby who is banded to share the journey with. My husband is supportive... but he doesn't "get it" like a bandster could.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

veenie73
on 5/24/12 12:49 am - Louisville, KY

What happen was when I went to get the fluid out, he thought it would be just what he put in. But then he took that out, I had to drink that stuff (white stuff they give you for the Upper GI). He watched it gone down and it stopped, so then he took out all the fluid and the stuff just trickled thru the opening of my band. I was SOO SWOLLEN, he had to take all of it out. He couldn't give me any reason why that happened. I was a lil upset that he had to take it all out, but I understood the situation. I still have a lil restriction even though I don't have any fluid in my band.  I will take it VERY slow when I start with the fills again. I haven't changed the way I ate before, Im sticking to it because Im so used to it now.

It is nice having the support from him and its great sometimes to share the journey. Im be honest it was AWESOME in the beginning. But when I started having issues and he wasn't. His wt lost fast and mine was slower. I started having issues with myself and the way I was feeling about the wt lost. My hubby is an AMAZING person. He makes everything okay for me.

adorkbl
on 5/24/12 2:24 am
 Veenie... It sounds like your doctor is doing everything right. He isn't doing fills blindly which is good. It makes more sense why he removes all of your fill level now. If you're getting restriction with no fill level, just work with that. Some people get restriction with the band only. Some people need less fill than others. It sucks that you seem to be pretty sensitive to fills. But I agree with you, I would wait before looking into a revision. Although not exactly fun, your experience doesn't scream to me band failure.

Only you know what is tolerable to you. And although this is a setback, it sounds like you're keeping your eating in check. That is a huge part of this whole experience. In fact I believe it is the most important part of being successful long-term.

I hope your swelling goes down quickly, and you're able to get a small fill soon. Keep up the good work with the eating! Keep us posted.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

MARIA F.
on 5/23/12 3:31 pm - Athens, GA

Veenie I tried to tell you what the band was REALLY like. A lot of bandsters do well initially......................THEN THE COMPLICATIONS START! :-(

It may not be what you want to hear, but my advice would be to cut your losses and revise before more damage is done by the band.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

veenie73
on 5/24/12 12:54 am - Louisville, KY
 Thanks Marie!!

I don't have a problem with what you are saying or what you have said in the past about the band. I accept your advice with open ears. But before I consider a revision I will give the band one more chance. When Im ready to start the fills again, I will go small. If I start having the same issue, then the band is not for me. I can say I TRIED. Then revision will be in my sights.

MARIA F.
on 5/24/12 12:23 pm - Athens, GA
On May 24, 2012 at 7:54 AM Pacific Time, veenie73 wrote:
 Thanks Marie!!

I don't have a problem with what you are saying or what you have said in the past about the band. I accept your advice with open ears. But before I consider a revision I will give the band one more chance. When Im ready to start the fills again, I will go small. If I start having the same issue, then the band is not for me. I can say I TRIED. Then revision will be in my sights.

I completely understand you wanting to give it "one more try". All of us that have the band need to be able to say that we did our best to work with the band. And many will say that I am quick to pass on my advice..............REVISION! While that may be true, it comes from concern. I see way to many band complications on these forums and in real life. Because of all the revisions that are now being done, some insurance companies are now starting the "one WLS per lifetime" claus. I just hate the thought of any bandster missing out on having a revision paid for b/c they want to give it "one more try", so please, take that into consideration.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Stephanie M.
on 5/24/12 2:19 pm
 Your gallbladder is probably the cause of you feeling over tight.  All the inflammation and swelling from an irritated and sometimes infected gallbladder affects your entire digestive system.  I thought the band was acting up, had the gallbladder out and the pain, belching etc are gone.  Once it's out, you can get refilled and see how it goes.  Good luck!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active